Marshall Discontinuing Replacement Parts??

• Thread starter newfiesig
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mmathieu

Reaction score
pedecamp and ampmadscientist have stated the facts which should be well-known and obvious: 1) US law states that support and repair parts must be offered for 10 years (I believe that is the correct number of years.) This is an adjunct to the Moss - Magnuson Act which states that the buyer DOES NOT have to return a warranty card, etc. to get the warranty offered by the manufacturer.

2) I'd be interested in how the tech in question removes caps, resisters, transistors, etc. without the aforementioned solder-sucker.

If the tech thinks this is difficult, he/she is in the wrong business.

Sorry that Marshall tube tone depends on NON_SOCKETED op-amps, if that is the situation here. Good luck with your repairs.

(Yes, I DO own multiple Marshall amps and have problems occasionally.) Again, good luck with your repair.

MMathieu

atarilovesyou

Reaction score
So my rep at Marshalk was good enough to send me a replacement part that she found. However, the Canadian rep (Jam Industries) sent me this:

"Unfortunately the part is discontinued and no longer available. We checked for a substitute or a suitable replacement and Marshall didn’t provide one."

Again, back to the gripe that Marshall is not supporting an amp that was first released 5 years ago...

Despite the argument that a qualified technician can fix the part, they should be available for purchase. A PCB board can be damaged far beyond a single defective chip.

The fact is this: the Canadian Marshall contacts rarely know what they are talking about. They hope you go away. I had to send four emails and two photos of the MIDI chip that had to be replaced with the updated one. Everything I ever had to ask them, the first answer was either "that's the way it's supposed to be" to "it's not a known issue" to "we will contact Marshall" to "here is the solution". Every time. But you know, lots of techs are like that. Across the spectrum.

There's something wrong when the customer is more aware of product issues than the distributors. That's my experience with them, for the same amp you own.

Glad to see you got it fixed!

V-man

Reaction score
This is why I have been getting out of new(er) Marshall market. They build more complicated designs with spotty durability, and if/when the amp’s number comes up, you don’t want to be the one holding the grenade.

I had a MF350 2203KK and 1959RR all turn out to have problems. I have only kept the RR. Guys don’t want to fix these complex designs, have no clue how to or both.

These amps are too damned expensive to be considered disposable goods, but few of them are worth spending 50% of their resale value in labor fees.

from here on out, I’m going classics or handwired. The new toys aren’t worth the headache.

newfiesig

Reaction score
This is why I have been getting out of new(er) Marshall market. They build more complicated designs with spotty durability, and if/when the amp’s number comes up, you don’t want to be the one holding the grenade.

I had a MF350 2203KK and 1959RR all turn out to have problems. I have only kept the RR. Guys don’t want to fix these complex designs, have no clue how to or both.

These amps are too damned expensive to be considered disposable goods, but few of them are worth spending 50% of their resale value in labor fees.

from here on out, I’m going classics or handwired. The new toys aren’t worth the headache.
My next amp will likely be a SV20...but I will extend the warranty through the dealer.

EADGBE

Reaction score
I think amps are made too complicated these days. A lot of people want too much stuff on them. They want effects loops. They want multi channels. They want all kinds of buttons and knobs. And they want a lot of switches. All of this stuff takes up too much room in the amp. And a lot of these parts just don't last very long.

KB0NES

Reaction score
Not much or a 'tech' if there are difficulties replacing an 8-pin DIP opamp.

All manufacturers today offer very short replacement part support for most any product. Heck buy a $3000 Samsung refrigerator and after 8 years you won't get any parts for that either. That is a lot more of an issue than this :(

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I'm going to say the same thing. If replacing an 8 pin DIP IC is "difficult" then you're not qualified to call yourself a "technician".

I admit, I'm biased. I was taught from day one of my electronics adventure to troubleshoot to the component and repair by finding the bad component,
and replacing it and not just swapping out the whole board, USUALLY. There are times when unit level replacement is really necessary, but we're
not talking about mil-spec electronics or avionics here.

Manufacturers don't want to offer long term parts support because it's more profitable to sell you a replacement product than help you get the broken one fixed.