Marshall Doom And Gloom?

• Thread starter Springfield Scooter
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AMPPILOT

Reaction score
I m set for life with my new Blues Breaker . Last one lasted me 18 years . This one is a HW is even better .

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Dont forget the half pint refrigerator!
I like mine. Its a cool way to have a spare fridge for extra Almond milk and beer!! Just a nice sized beer fridge that looks like a mini 800.

I'm sure Marshall willl be fine, most of us here already have plenty of amps and aren't really their target market. So we bitch.:D

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I like mine. Its a cool way to have a spare fridge for extra Almond milk and beer!! Just a nice sized beer fridge that looks like a mini 800.

I'm sure Marshall willl be fine, most of us here already have plenty of amps and aren't really their target market. So we bitch.:D

Well, Im guilty, one of these days I am getting one to use as a beer chest in my basement/music room...:cheers:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Marshall has been epic for years. Some of us want certain circuits that fit. And we get it. And then some just want to stir a pot.

For those that rub their dicks while posting an opinion about Marshall know we're glad you're important. You matter...not.

Buy a Friedman. Show you know. That'll teach us throw backs.:fever:

Last edited:

PU239

Reaction score
I have been pretty hard on what Marshall has become over the past couple years. With NAMM around the corner I wanted to step back and take a honest look at where the company is and where its seems to be going.

Since the passing of the late great Jim Marshall many amps Marshall offered have come and gone. Many good people have come and gone. Their social media is still a mess as is their marketing.

Lets look at what you still can buy.

The 100 watt Monsters.

Marshall 1959HW 100-watt Handwired
1959HW.jpg

Still the industry standard for a 100 watt head. These amps have to be pushed hard as the breakup happens in the power tubes not in the preamp. In the right hands it will be hard to beat the sound you can get from this Handwired 1959

Marshall 1959SLP Super Lead 100-watt Tube Head
1959SLP.jpg

This is the PCB board version of the classic 1959 Super lead. The only additional feature is a tonally transparent effects loop. And, for Marshall purists, there is a true bypass switch to totally remove the effects loop from the amplifier circuitry. This is not available with the HW version. Marshall can never stop selling these amps.

Marshall JCM800 2203X 100-watt
JCM800.jpg

Marshall keeps making these because live bands still use them is droves. While I never got along with 800s they remain one of Marshall's best selling amps. Marshall added a series effects loop with true bypass operation, perfect for gigging musicians with lots of pedals.

Marshall JCM900 4100 100-watt 2-channel
JCM900.jpg

Very surprised this amp is still being made. Much like the JCM800 many players really like having a two channel version of that amp. These new reissues sound to me better than the original ones from the 90s. With dual channels, a shared 4-band EQ, and a series effects loop with true bypass.

Marshall DSL100H 100-watt 2-channel
DSL100H.jpg

We can debate the old vs new DSL but this amp still is very popular and comes at a much reduced price point from the original. From what I know they have made this amp even better and will be launched soon. Like the JCM 900 this is a 2 channel amp but has more tone shaping.

Marshall JVM210H 100-watt 2-channel
JVM210H.jpg

The JVM is 10 years old now. If you want more tone shaping than the JCM900 or the DSL look at the JVM210H. The 2-channel JVM210H gives you six modes covering two independent channels with three gain stages, each with its own footswitchable memory. It's a great feature for ultra-flexible onstage switching (via the included dedicated, programmable footswitch unit). Two effects loops, independent reverb for each channel, a speaker-emulated XLR line-out, and two footswitchable master volumes are also great features onboard the JVM210H.

Marshall JVM410H 100-watt 4-channel
JVM410H.jpg

If all the options in the JVM210H were not enough then there is this one. Each of the JVM's four channels has three modes - green, orange and red - providing 12 totally unique yet complementary amplifier topologies, making it like having 12 amps in one! As a result, the JVM410H offers an amazing array of instantly switchable tones

Marshall JVM410HJS Joe Satriani Edition 100-watt 4-channel
JVM410HJS.jpg

The Flagship. I really like this amp and think its good. IMO its is the JVM to have. Marshall modified the power supply, added a choke, and noise gates. The orange crunch channel is the same design as the JCM800 (2203), and the red crunch channel is similar to the AFD100 amp head in AFD mode. And the overdrive channels have been tuned to sound less compressed and more dynamic and open than the JVM410H.

Marshall MG100HCFX 100-watt 4-channel Head with Effects
MG100HCFX.jpg

MG100HCFX guitar amplifier head gives you four storable channels and built in FX. At $359 it is still a lot of amp for the money.

Marshall Code100H 100-watt Digital Head
Code100H.jpg

Marshall's entry into the modeling world. The 100H packs five decades of classic Marshall sounds into the CODE. 100 presets, and 24 onboard effects all for $349.

In the end any player should be happy with one of these 10 amps. If I could only have one I would take the JVM410HJS. Does Marshall really need another 100 watt head on the market?

The 50 watt amps.

I am not sure why the 50 watt amps are still around but these two make sense. To me its always better to have more than not enough. However in the Plexi world the 50 watt amp makes sense as does the 50watt version of the JVM.

Marshall 1987X 50-watt Plexi Tube Head with FX Loop
1987XL.jpg

I really love this amp. While still painfully loud, it is a bit easier to use than the 1959s. Though the 50-watt Marshall 1987XL shares the same front and rear panel features as its big brother, the 1959 SLP, it does have its own distinct personality.

Marshall JVM205H 50-watt 2-channel
JVM205H.jpg

The 2-channel JVM205H gives you six modes covering two independent channels with three gain stages, each with its own footswitchable memory.

PU239

Reaction score
Lower watt Amps, < 50 watts.

In today's world does one really need more than a 20 watt amp? This is where the market is today, Marshall has some very good amps in the range that to often are overlooked. IMO one of the three Astoria amps should be on every serious players list, while all three are voiced different you get Marshall quality and great tone in a amp that will last a lifetime.

I consider two of the these amps in this list to be in the all time top 10 amps. The 2061x and the Astoria Custom.

Marshall Astoria Dual 30-watt 2-channel Handwired
AstoriaDUALH.jpg

The Astoria Dual gives you footswitchable Clean and OD channels that cover a wide range of tones. And the cool Power Reduction function lets you bring the volume down for rehearsing and recording.

Marshall Astoria Custom 30-watt Handwired
AstoriaCUSTH.jpg

The Astoria Custom delivers a classic British tone from a pair of KT66 power tubes and modern functions like a tube-driven effects loop and footswitchable gain controls. And a cool Power Reduction switch lets you bring the volume down for rehearsing and recording. The vintage-voiced and boutique-inspired Marshall Astoria Custom amp head has the features and tone a pro musician needs! Amazing amp.

Marshall Astoria Classic 30-watt Handwired
AstoriaCLASH.jpg

One of the most underappreciated Marshall's. The Astoria Classic delivers a loud, clean tone with tons of headroom and punch. This amp was made for pedal enthusiasts who prefer to add gain and color with stompboxes. A cool Power Reduction function lets you bring the volume down for rehearsing and recording. The vintage-inspired and boutique-vibed Marshall Astoria amp head is the perfect basis for any guitar rig!

Marshall JTM45 2245 30-watt Plexi
JTM45.jpg

The Marshall JTM45 tube amplifier head is widely considered to be the definitive '60s Marshall, the amp that started it all at Marshall and it still can be had today. I think they should have kept the THW version instead of this one.

Marshall 2061X 20-watt Handwired
2061X.jpg

Still the most underrated Marshall amp ever. This is a good amplifier for most people but most have never even tried it. The amp has never gotten the recognition it deserves. The Marshall 2061X is a handwired re-issue of a model 2061 (originally produced from 1967 to 1973). The 2061 was an all-valve, 20-watt lead and bass head.

Marshall 2525H Mini Silver Jubilee 20/5-watt
2525H.jpg

The 2555x should have been kept also, but glad to see this one was. This 20-watt 2525H Mini Silver Jubilee gives you everything you love about Marshall's highly coveted 2-channel, 100-watt head in a smaller and more volume-friendly package. The 2525H has all the tone and look of the original, like high- and low-output switching for 20- and 5-watt performance. This offers you the sound of a Marshall at full roar, but at studio and club levels. The Marshall 20-watt 2525H Silver Jubilee amplifier also gives you even lower noise performance and improved reliability over the 1980s originals.

Marshall DSL15H 15/7.5-watt
DSL15H.jpg

At $499 this amp is a pretty good deal for many people. The DSL15H, you can go from glassy cleans, to JCM800-high gain.

While I left the combos out of this, I just wanted to remind everyone that Marshall still sells some very good amps. While we all want some new offerings it seems Marshall is sticking to selling the sound of what made them great. While I do not like their marketing wank, I will argue with anyone that Marshall's current lineup is still better than that of any other company.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

In today's world does one really need more than a 20 watt amp? This is where the market is today, Marshall has some very good amps in the range that to often are overlooked. IMO one of the three Astoria amps should be on every serious players list, while all three are voiced different you get Marshall quality and great tone in a amp that will last a lifetime.

I consider two of the these amps in this list to be in the all time top 10 amps. The 2061x and the Astoria Custom.

AstoriaDUALH.jpg

The Astoria Dual gives you footswitchable Clean and OD channels that cover a wide range of tones. And the cool Power Reduction function lets you bring the volume down for rehearsing and recording.

AstoriaCUSTH.jpg

The Astoria Custom delivers a classic British tone from a pair of KT66 power tubes and modern functions like a tube-driven effects loop and footswitchable gain controls. And a cool Power Reduction switch lets you bring the volume down for rehearsing and recording. The vintage-voiced and boutique-inspired Marshall Astoria Custom amp head has the features and tone a pro musician needs! Amazing amp.

AstoriaCLASH.jpg

One of the most underappreciated Marshall's. The Astoria Classic delivers a loud, clean tone with tons of headroom and punch. This amp was made for pedal enthusiasts who prefer to add gain and color with stompboxes. A cool Power Reduction function lets you bring the volume down for rehearsing and recording. The vintage-inspired and boutique-vibed Marshall Astoria amp head is the perfect basis for any guitar rig!

JTM45.jpg

The Marshall JTM45 tube amplifier head is widely considered to be the definitive '60s Marshall, the amp that started it all at Marshall and it still can be had today. I think they should have kept the THW version instead of this one.

2061X.jpg

Still the most underrated Marshall amp ever. This is a good amplifier for most people but most have never even tried it. The amp has never gotten the recognition it deserves. The Marshall 2061X is a handwired re-issue of a model 2061 (originally produced from 1967 to 1973). The 2061 was an all-valve, 20-watt lead and bass head.

2525H.jpg

The 2555x should have been kept also, but glad to see this one was. This 20-watt 2525H Mini Silver Jubilee gives you everything you love about Marshall's highly coveted 2-channel, 100-watt head in a smaller and more volume-friendly package. The 2525H has all the tone and look of the original, like high- and low-output switching for 20- and 5-watt performance. This offers you the sound of a Marshall at full roar, but at studio and club levels. The Marshall 20-watt 2525H Silver Jubilee amplifier also gives you even lower noise performance and improved reliability over the 1980s originals.

DSL15H.jpg

At $499 this amp is a pretty good deal for many people. The DSL15H, you can go from glassy cleans, to JCM800-high gain.

While I left the combos out of this, I just wanted to remind everyone that Marshall still sells some very good amps. While we all want some new offerings it seems Marshall is sticking to selling the sound of what made them great. While I do not like their marketing wank, I will argue with anyone that Marshall's current lineup is still better than that of any other company.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not Marshall's current product offerings are satisfactory to this bunch, at least based on the latest financials I've seen, the company is very healthy. Maybe the company's other products that we think are crap are selling well?

My wife bought this for me for Father's Day a couple of years ago, and it's pretty cool.

full

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Whether or not Marshall's current product offerings are satisfactory to this bunch, at least based on the latest financials I've seen, the company is very healthy. Maybe the company's other products that we think are crap are selling well?

My wife bought this for me for Father's Day a couple of years ago, and it's pretty cool.

full

Cool. And she's into you. Which is even cooler!

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

AstoriaDUALH.jpg

AstoriaCUSTH.jpg

AstoriaCLASH.jpg

JTM45.jpg

2061X.jpg

2525H.jpg

DSL15H.jpg

Marshall still sounds great. There are too many artist and how many years show Marshall a staple? Some of these posters don't even play. I have plenty of clips that show Marshall is still relevant.

PU239

Reaction score

full

I still stay in contact with the original Marshall design engineer of the Class 5. While Marshall limited him on what he could do on the project back then, the amp has way more potential. He will release a mod kit soon for the amp as well as some great mods for a stock 1959/1987.

I have recently completed a redesign of the Marshall Class 5 which will be available as a retrofit to existing production units if the player prefers the sound. I will be organizing some clips soon.

I have also devised a complete set of mods to implement on a Plexi, which I will also provide some clips for. Initial auditions from other players (some very well known) have been fantastic and have encouraged me to move forward with this.

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I still stay in contact with the original Marshall design engineer of the Class 5. While Marshall limited him on what he could do on the project back then, the amp has way more potential. He will release a mod kit soon for the amp as well as some great mods for a stock 1959/1987.

Good to know about the mod kit. Will you let the forum know when it becomes available? Thanks.