Marshall Dsl bedroom volume

• Thread starter Matt Duffy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MAD 69

Reaction score
The 40CR sounds great, wish they made it just the head, I don’t want the combo

Marcomel79

Reaction score
I have a DSL5C and it sounds very good even at bedroom level. The classic channel is basically like a plexi, more volume, more overdrive. The ultra gain channel is really cool, from edge of breakup to slayer. Plus you have a tone switch for a scooped sound and a bass boost switch as well. Im very happy with mine.

The stock speaker (ten30) does a good job although sounds much better through a 12" greenback. All in all, a very good little amp.

Rookie22

Reaction score
As a thank you for all people contributing to this forum, i just wanted to share my very short experience with DSL1 head. Just got it together with Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 112 cab. Several writings here and elsewhere in the internet helped me decide dsl1 for home use. I watched numerous youtube videos and read reviews etc. I must say that the sound (compared to a Marshall solid state 15w combo that has been my only amp apart from interface+computer) is amazing. So enjoyable. I started with 1w and good distortion, volume maybe at 2, and heard ”divorce coming’ from the living room :) Turned to 0.1w and it was acceptable to the family. Compared where i come from (soliid state 15w) the sound was still very good. So seems work for bedroom volume quite well for amateur like me. Also give credit to my Gibson SG. Cant wait empty house…

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As a thank you for all people contributing to this forum, i just wanted to share my very short experience with DSL1 head. Just got it together with Hughes & Kettner Tubemeister 112 cab. Several writings here and elsewhere in the internet helped me decide dsl1 for home use. I watched numerous youtube videos and read reviews etc. I must say that the sound (compared to a Marshall solid state 15w combo that has been my only amp apart from interface+computer) is amazing. So enjoyable. I started with 1w and good distortion, volume maybe at 2, and heard ”divorce coming’ from the living room :) Turned to 0.1w and it was acceptable to the family. Compared where i come from (soliid state 15w) the sound was still very good. So seems work for bedroom volume quite well for amateur like me. Also give credit to my Gibson SG. Cant wait empty house…
:welcome: to the forum.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
welcome!

I'm going to suggest a 4x12 cab for low volume bedroom use. Now hear me out, 4x12 are very focused extremely directional due to the closed back. I owned the DSL1Cr for awhile and definitely found that rolling off the bass and playing thru the 4x12 and low volume worked great for not disturbing the household.

4x12s are like lazer beams and pointing it away from where you want the sound to go helps quite a bit and at low volumes with bass rolled off I find they don't transfer too much bass frequency unlike a open back single speaker cab/combo.

Good luck and have fun!

Goober23

Reaction score
This might seem weird but I find the Fender Twin Reverb and the DSL 40c to be the BEST sounding bedroom volume amps of all time period.
They just ARE.

Moony

Reaction score
You could also play a 100W JVM at bedroom volumes like this guy (he uses a 2x12 with V30s):

Unfortunately the video is in German, maybe the translate function will work for you.

It just depends on the design of the amp.
JVM is very tight, most of the sound out of the preamp, high negative feedback - you don't need poweramp breakup to get a good sound here.

RedTag

Reaction score
I happen to have 2 DSL40CR's and sounds fantastic at low volumes in a Stereo setup at full power. Rest of the family can barely hear me playing. As has been said before having a MV and a Volume is great to fine tune the tone.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Happy you’re enjoying your Dsl1, cool little amp. I bought one shortly after they were first released, and I pared it with a Marshall Mx112 cabinet.

Welcome to the Marshall Forum @Rookie22, great bunch of guys here with a plethora of info of all things Marshall, and other gear too. :cool:

chromespiral

Reaction score
Okay fine. Do I buy a brand new one or take my chances on a used one? Looks like $300 would be the difference on a 40CR