Marshall DSL

• Thread starter rocker67
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
You mean the plexi? Yikes...who in their right mind would pay that for an amp, even a prototype???

Ken

it wasn't a prototype, they were the first 100 watt plexi's being build... made about 200 of them and then realised that the chassis couldn't take the weight of the transformers...
they are even more worth then the first 1962-made JTM45's that had the chassis placed offset in the cabinet, so that the amp would be in balance when you lift it up
so yes, people pay $100K for an amp they can't even play, as all those chassis' are bent

Micky

VIP Member
Reaction score
Jeez, I forgot. My bad. I remember now, everyone who frequents the gear page is an expert.
That must make the people at harmony central godlike...

dreyn77

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the Americans getting $5 per hour for their labour! (MXR factory) these workers are not able to buy their own house on that income wage. If you buy from a company in another country from the internet and you get the product and it doesn't work, state consumer laws no longer apply. Marshall is NOT american! the warrenty comes from the american wholesaler/ retailer from american consumer law. have a look at the rest of the countries in the WORLD and think about the people living there and their buying music product situation! Every music retail shop I have walked into in the last 2 weeks was saying "we're not going to be here much longer". the biggest retailer is in receivership. So soon everything will be bought 2nd hand or on the internet. I go down to my local shops (in a city of 3million people) an there is 10 shops, 5 are empty and the rest are food or womans clothing. Why DO I COMmENt? look at the counting numbers for threads, only 20 comment and 1000 read and don't comment. have a think about why the others NEVER comment and NEVER join the forum! the 'normal' rules of communitcating no longer apply. (you have a question. you ask it. you want an answer - I never have to reply!) and if i do reply - the rich get richer, and I might have wasted my time.

Chris Martins

Reaction score
Minimum wage averages at 8$/hour in the US... Granted, it's very little money, but it's not 5$ an hour... Just sayin'...

Reactions: Ken

SpiritOfTheAge

Reaction score
I'm concerned about the Americans getting $5 per hour for their labour! (MXR factory) these workers are not able to buy their own house on that income wage. If you buy from a company in another country from the internet and you get the product and it doesn't work, state consumer laws no longer apply. Marshall is NOT american! the warrenty comes from the american wholesaler/ retailer from american consumer law. have a look at the rest of the countries in the WORLD and think about the people living there and their buying music product situation! Every music retail shop I have walked into in the last 2 weeks was saying "we're not going to be here much longer". the biggest retailer is in receivership. So soon everything will be bought 2nd hand or on the internet. I go down to my local shops (in a city of 3million people) an there is 10 shops, 5 are empty and the rest are food or womans clothing. Why DO I COMmENt? look at the counting numbers for threads, only 20 comment and 1000 read and don't comment. have a think about why the others NEVER comment and NEVER join the forum! the 'normal' rules of communitcating no longer apply. (you have a question. you ask it. you want an answer - I never have to reply!) and if i do reply - the rich get richer, and I might have wasted my time.

The use of paragraphs woul . . ........ oh I can't be bothered.

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
as for the made-in-vietnam thing... how many people came over here reporting trouble with their MA's???

As a MA50H owner, the DSL line would *seem* like an improvement. The back panel on the DSL looks nicely done, but still is thin particle board on most other sides, the kind that sags a little bit with any significant weight applied, esp on the combos (had a MA50C briefly that had the worst case of valve rattle and just didn't feel well constructed)

Electronics construction-wise, the MA seemed solid for what it is. Most of the problems I heard were related to broken spring reverbs and minor stuff like bad chinese tubes. I would expect the DSL line to be similar (maybe better if the reverb is digitial...).

Compared to a Blackstar amp I have (made in Korea), the physical construction just seemed "cheap" on the MA line. The "tolex" is extremely thin compared to the other amps I've owned, esp on the corner areas.

It's too bad they didn't mount the DSL15 power tubes to the chassis. I don't really get why any manufacturer would mount power tubes to the pcb. Seems like a recipe for problems...

I baby my amps so I don't mind if they cut corners (literally :lol:) on the heads, but definitely don't want heat issues on the pcb.

If it had an effects loop (doesn't appear to IIRC), and better construction...that DSL15 might replace my other amps...:hmm:

V-man

Reaction score
With as cheap as you can get a DSL100, why? Throw a boost in front of that beast and let it hang.

I like the Made in England on the back panel. Just sayin....

And the DSL is an awesome slaved power section to a different higher gain amp with the EL34's. My fav wet/dry slave.

This was my thought as well. Unlike some who disagree with some of Marshalll's anniversary choices, I'm not a 15 hater, but it doesn't make much sense to me...

$900 for an "import" amp that gives you the ability to play at lower volume;

or

$500-ish for a UK amp that gives you the ability to play low volume (something DSLs are known for) as well as large venue loudness.

poeman33

Reaction score
There certainly have been threads on here...and everywhere else about problems with the MA series. One post here was from someone who does have the new DSL. And, lots of the discussion is also based on Marshall's own pictures and descriptions. So what's the problem with us having concerns, even though we haven't played one?

The Class 5 sounded amazing when it first came out...then the damn rattle problem became a huge issue. Marshall redesigned the amp to deal with it, but the price did go up. Will they do the same thing with an outsourced build, that it obviously outsourced to bring the price down?

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
24.5kgs WTF!!!!

yeah... a JVM 410H does 22 kg and the transformers on those are already much bigger then the old DSL

now the box may be made of MDF, but i seriously think they have 1959/2203 sized transformers...

Söulcaster

🎼🎵🎶☮️🇦🇺
VIP Member
Reaction score
yeah... a JVM 410H does 22 kg and the transformers on those are already much bigger then the old DSL

now the box may be made of MDF, but i seriously think they have 1959/2203 sized transformers...

Doesn't the AFD have 2203 iron? They are just over 22kgs.

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Doesn't the AFD have 2203 iron? They are just over 22kgs.

yup... JVM, AFD, YJM and 2203KK share the same transformers, which have the same specs as the old 2203's and 1959's, but are layed down horizontal... the new DSL has vertical types though, so i'm curious

Ken

Reaction score

This link takes me to the cover page so I didn't search all the threads for where an aluminum plexi sells for $100k. I'll take it at face value this is true...but I admit I'm skeptical knowing what music memorabilia and vintage gear fetches in general. $100k is very rarified air indeed!

I can't recall ANY Marshall piece fetching this much money...so this must be close to the top!

Ken

Crunchcity

Reaction score
This link takes me to the cover page so I didn't search all the threads for where an aluminum plexi sells for $100k. I'll

I just posted that link because that's a forum where $100K is chump change to alot of members and they are the type of demographic that would buy one. :naughty:

Ken

Reaction score
I just posted that link because that's a forum where $100K is chump change to alot of members and they are the type of demographic that would buy one. :naughty:

Ah, I see. Maybe I'm uninformed but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'd be hard pressed to find ANY music gear not associated with a particular artist that sells for 6 figures.

The only 6 figure stuff I've seen is Elvis stuff, Lennon/Beatles things, Hendrix...mostly guitars or manuscripts. Not production amps where 100 were made.

Ken

big dooley

VIP Member
Reaction score
Ah, I see. Maybe I'm uninformed but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts you'd be hard pressed to find ANY music gear not associated with a particular artist that sells for 6 figures.

The only 6 figure stuff I've seen is Elvis stuff, Lennon/Beatles things, Hendrix...mostly guitars or manuscripts. Not production amps where 100 were made.

Ken

they talk about it from 23.00 min onwards:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhe7qXP08qw]Unique Marshall Factory Tour PART 2 as you have NEVER seen it before - tonymckenzie.com - YouTube[/ame]

cavedog69

Reaction score
Marshall dslc 40

I have a problem with my effects pedals. I get just a slight hiss when I have my guitar plugged straight into the amp. When I put My Ibanez tube screamer the noise (not a hum but more of a hissing noise). Then if I put a another pedal MXR eq. The noise gets sso loud from thee gaun increase from the pedals I have to take them off. Any Ideas? sorry new and don't know how to post.