• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

MARSHALL dsl1hr with distortionpedal

• Thread starter EVK
  • Start date
  • Tags
    dsl1hr
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EVK

Reaction score
I have the marshall DSL 1HR 1WATT
i want ti run the boss HM-2 distortion pedal to it for digferent sound.

It sounds awful. I run thru clean channel i run thru dist red channel.

Sounds so bad. On my friends amp it sounds great.

Is there something special with marshall dsl 1 hr thanks emil

kysrsoze

Reaction score
Hey, not sure what specific sound you're trying to get, and I don't know what kind of amp your friend has. I have the DSL1HR, and it responds really well to boost and overdrive pedals for heavier sound. You might want to try something along those lines instead. The type of distortion the HM-2 produces may be clashing with the sound of the amp, or overwhelming it all, especially on the red channel. The green channel sounds pretty bright to me, so maybe that's not helping either. Could be a mid-scooped pedal vs. mid-heavy Marshall. Have you tried backing off a lot on the pedal's distortion?

One last thing you might want to try is running it through the effects loop. At one point, I tried to use a DOD Grunge pedal with the DSL, and that sounded absolutely horrible in front of the amp, even on green. But through the effects loop while on the green channel, it actually sounded pretty good.

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Or try running it straight into the FX Return jack.
That way the pedal is the preamp.
That's how I run my Boss MT-2.

That works, but it'll sound less like a Marshall since the DSL 1's preamp won't be used.

Moony

Reaction score
Try the Ultra Gain channel of the amp with as less gain as possible, so that there's barely a sound, adjust Volume to taste.
And run the pedal into the amp then.
That should smooth out the ice pick.

If you want to use the Classic Gain channel, maybe you'd be happy if you desolder or snap one leg of the bright cap of the Classic Gain channel (C32).
The DSL1HR has a 1000pF (1nF) bright cap which is a bit much, if you don't crank the amp.
Just for comparison, the DSL5C had a 100pF, which is better for these kind of amps imho.

Please be aware about lethal voltages inside the amp!

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have the marshall DSL 1HR 1WATT
i want ti run the boss HM-2 distortion pedal to it for digferent sound.

It sounds awful. I run thru clean channel i run thru dist red channel.

Sounds so bad. On my friends amp it sounds great.

Is there something special with marshall dsl 1 hr thanks emil
Try setting your amp to edge of break up and set the pedal as a clean boost - pedal volume dimed and gain off. Adjust pedal gain up as necessary.

Last edited:

Latest posts