• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Quick Guv'nor Question

• Thread starter MikeyDude
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

freefrog

Reaction score
If time permits, I'll try it as an OD pushing a Marshall or Marshall style drive channel and I'll report my findings.
Well, I didn't find the time and a fellow member did the test above anyway.

So, let's share something else: a comparison between a TS-9 (drive @ zero, volume full up, tone @ noon) and the closest setting that I've found on a GuvNor: drive @ zero, volume full up, but also Mids + bass full up and treble @ 3/4... IOW: higher than I would have bet.

Frequency response below with TS in blue and Guv' in red. Would give different sounds with different guitars through different amps but "you get the picture"...

TSvsGuv.jpg

In each case, the second line (under the frequency response) shows the overall THD and suggests that the Guv' distorts more, in a "looser" way, even with drive @ 0. Not really surprising.

The TS has also more dynamics, as expected and as shown by the vertical amplitude of impulse responses:

TSvsGuvImpResp.jpg

Again, not surprising.

Oh, and... as the more recent GV2 in silver housing with concentric knobs has been evoked in one of the last answers: not the same animal than an original GV, IME. GV2's tend to add some "infrasonic" content to the tone, like the old MRX Distortion II did back in the days. It's meant to make pedals more amp like but gives mushy low end. Original GV and reissues are tighter IME/IMHO. :)

FWIW: what I obtain with my own pedals, if ever if can help.

EDIT in the middle of a home rehearsal, bluesy Gary Moore mode and mood: just tried the settings above in a tube pedal then in a Marshall style drive channel. And.. it didn't sound to my liking. :p But Drive of the Guv' @ 1/3, bass @ 11 o'clock, mids full up, treble @ 3/4 and volume cranked up work nice before already saturated hosts. More later...

Last edited:

MikeyDude

Reaction score
Well, I didn't find the time and a fellow member did the test above anyway.

So, let's share something else: a comparison between a TS-9 (drive @ zero, volume full up, tone @ noon) and the closest setting that I've found on a GuvNor: drive @ zero, volume full up, but also Mids + bass full up and treble @ 3/4... IOW: higher than I would have bet.

Frequency response below with TS in blue and Guv' in red. Would give different sounds with different guitars through different amps but "you get the picture"...

View attachment 133509

In each case, the second line (under the frequency response) shows the overall THD and suggests that the Guv' distorts more, in a "looser" way, even with drive @ 0. Not really surprising.

The TS has also more dynamics, as expected and as shown by the vertical amplitude of impulse responses:

View attachment 133510

Again, not surprising.

Oh, and... as the more recent GV2 in silver housing with concentric knobs has been evoked in one of the last answers: not the same animal than an original GV, IME. GV2's tend to add some "infrasonic" content to the tone, like the old MRX Distortion II did back in the days. It's meant to make pedals more amp like but gives mushy low end. Original GV and reissues are tighter IME/IMHO. :)

FWIW: what I obtain with my own pedals, if ever if can help.

EDIT in the middle of a home rehearsal, bluesy Gary Moore mode and mood: just tried the settings above in a tube pedal then in a Marshall style drive channel. And.. it didn't sound to my liking. :p But Drive of the Guv' @ 1/3, bass @ 11 o'clock, mids full up, treble @ 3/4 and volume cranked up work nice before already saturated hosts. More later...

From this I can see that it's not a lotta difference sonically except for the distortion level, but with the EQ maxed there's nowhere to go with it. And the lack of dynamics confirms my concerns when I first started the thread. I really appreciate your work and efforts.

Last edited:

vogonpoet

Reaction score
Those were good pedals. I had one I used with my twin reverb, but I lost it at a jam session in Whistler BC years ago. It's definitely been missed!

Latest posts