Marshall Dsl40 And Midi

DiBello

Reaction score
greetings...

First off: I know about the pending Marshall 6 button footswitch PEDL 91016 that works with the DSL40. And am not interested in that product in any way.

I'm looking for insight into the MIDI functions of the Marshall DSL40. If I read the manual correctly, the dual masters and channel switching are MIDI assignable.

Ideally, I'm looking for a simple way to toggle

A. channel switching
B. dual master volumes

via a foot switch.

I don't like dedicated switches for items. Like the 6 way switch that is supposed to work with the DSL40. where each button selects a function. PEDL 91016.

I'm looking for toggle (on/off) buttons. So if I'm singing and need to throw in a lead fill , I can have my foot on the button and toggle on or off. I don't have to look down and select two buttons to achieve my goal.

A MIDI controller might work, although it may have it's own 2 button "up/down" issues .

any ideas?

Reaction score
Considering the price of a midi controller, I would look at a Boss MS3. It works great in 4cm if you need any of the fx

On any midi controller that is not the amp fs, I don't think you can program on/off, but a little prep time can save the scenes you need for a quick switch. MS3 can assign 1 to go to a sound than hit 1 again for a new setting, similar to on/off if programmed right (easy to set with cpu interface)

DiBello

Reaction score
Boss MS3 pretty much overkill. Randall makes a 3 button MIDI switch. Can't put the link here because I'm a new member. Anyone have experience with this unit?

Screen shot 2018-04-09 at 7.37.14 PM.png

LCW

Reaction score
Has anyone used or tried something like the MIDI Mongoose by Tech21?

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimongoose.html

midimongoose_image.jpg

treewiz

Reaction score
For me the Boss MS-3 isn't overkill at all. I use it for all of my needed effects, volume control, channel and voice switching and a good tuner. I have found this set up is perfect for my needs with my DSL40CR, the MS-3 is a wonderful solution for me. Good luck everyone.

dan4579

Reaction score
Has anyone used or tried something like the MIDI Mongoose by Tech21?

http://www.tech21nyc.com/products/effects/midimongoose.html

midimongoose_image.jpg

I did for making this video and this is how I use the amp for gigs. It seems you can’t have a button for toggling between master 1 and master 2...or at least I can’t figure out how. I have to assign a master volume to each mode.
I set it up like this...
Clean-Master 2(because it’s not as loud)
Crunch-master 1
Lead 1-master 1
Lead 2- master 2 (for solos)

DiBello

Reaction score
thank you all for your time and input. I am still seeking a 2 button toggle scenario to achieve my goal. Namely: toggling Channels & Masters. I don't know much about pedal electronics. the Marshall 6 button footswitch PEDL 91016 has a toggle button for the masters. and apparently a toggle button for the fx loop as it is on/off. Anyone know how this pedal can have two toggle buttons and also 4 dedicated buttons?

Last edited:

dan4579

Reaction score
thank you all for your time and input. I am still seeking a 2 button toggle scenario to achieve my goal. Namely: toggling Channels & Masters. I don't know much about pedal electronics. the Marshall 6 button footswitch PEDL 91016 has a toggle button for the masters. and apparently a toggle button for the fx loop as it is on/off. Anyone know how this pedal can have two toggle buttons and also 4 dedicated buttons?
My understanding is that Marshall does not yet actually have the 6 button footswitch available for this amp yet. The JVM switch IS NOT compatible. If you find out that the 6 button switch for this amp IS now available please let me know here

DiBello

Reaction score
My understanding is that Marshall does not yet actually have the 6 button footswitch available for this amp yet. The JVM switch IS NOT compatible. If you find out that the 6 button switch for this amp IS now available please let me know here
Sweetwater rep says available in May

dan4579

Reaction score
The nice thing about Marshall’s pedal is that you don’t need a battery or power source to run it, as opposed to a midi controller.

LoFi

Reaction score
I have tried the midi mongoose and it worked fine. I also tried several other old amp footswitches with multiple buttons and a few of them would do different things but none worked in a way I could really use. I frankensteined a pedal with three buttons that just added master volume switch to the 2 channels and fx loop that were already in place. What I really wanted was switching between 4 modes on both channels. I am using the midi switching in the Line 6 HX effects now and I really like it! It has endless midi program options and can handle the momentary lead boost while stepping on the switch like you mentioned. You can also program the expression pedal to activate the master vol switch via midi. I would recommend something like a multi-effects midi switcher combo, as someone else mentioned they are economic (relatively speaking) and open up a lot of options! I have the HX connected in 4CM and the seamless switching from channel to channel with any pedal I could want in front of or in the loop is a hoot!! I wish the reverb was switchable as well - seems a waste to add midi with all the functions and leave that one out!?!

Reactions: LCW

musicman

Reaction score
That's really interesting could you advise what you did to frankenstein the 3 button pedal please... I'd be happy with a 2 button switch with one switch toggling channels and the other toggling master volumes.. thanks

DiBello

Reaction score
That's really interesting could you advise what you did to frankenstein the 3 button pedal please... I'd be happy with a 2 button switch with one switch toggling channels and the other toggling master volumes.. thanks
YES! Exactly what I'm looking for!

LoFi

Reaction score
I had an old three button pedal that I modified into 2 standard and one midi switch (robbing parts from a midi mouse). I don’t need to switch the Fx loop and I tried for days to make it do something else with no luck. Damaged the midi plug so had to wire straight to the board. It looked ok but just from light moving and a few agressive stomps it was more trouble than it was worth. Then the HX happened and it solved all my needs.

LCW

Reaction score
I have tried the midi mongoose and it worked fine.

What were the limitations of the Mongoose? Could it do everything (all 4 modes, switch masters, fx loop)???