Marshall Dsl40 And Midi

LoFi

Reaction score
I definitely recommend the HX. The midi mongoose was cool but didn’t fit on my pedal board. It did the switching job ok. Also when I had it battery powered it was silent but when on ac power adaptor I would get a tiny pop when performing any midi switching. Tried to remedy that to no avail as well. That’s why I ultimately searched for another solution.

flimz

Reaction score
Hi, Im interested in a new DSL 100. When I tried it out, there was some noticeable lag when switching channels with the foot switch. It wasn't very seamless.
I plan to use midi to switch among all the modes and channels, using my boss MS3.
My question is...has anyone else noticed a lag with their new DSL? And for those of you using midi, has it solved this issue?
Thanks!

blave

Reaction score
I just got my Roland FC-300 pedalboard working with the DSL40CR. I'm using the first four patch select footswitches for selecting the four modes (two modes per channel), and the two CTL footswitches to control the loop and master volume selection.

The FC-300 should be in "STANDARD" mode; with that, the channel/mode selects work "out of the box" assuming its midi change #'s haven't been changed.

The loop and MV selects are a little different. Each CTL footswitch needs to have its CC (control change) assignment changed to 13 (loop) and 14 (MV).

Since the DSL remembers loop and MV state for each of the four modes, you can have a pretty customized selection of modes/loop/MV settings.

The original poster wants a "toggle" capability.. As far as I can tell that's one thing that the FC-300 won't do :erk:.

BTW yes the FC-300 is major overkill for this application, but I already had it to go with my Roland VG-99, so for me it was "free".

cheers,
Dave B

Curtis Shelton

Reaction score
On the DSL each of the 4 channels clean, crunch, OD1, OD2 are assigned in a loop to every four MIDI program change messages and can’t be changed e.g.

PC 00 = CLEAN

PC 01 = CRUNCH

PC 02 = OD1

PC 03 = OD2

PC 04 = CLEAN

PC 05 = CRUNCH

PC 06 = OD1

PC 07 = OD2

PC 08 = CLEAN etc.

Connect the MIDI controller to the DSL – MIDI Out to MIDI In. Multiple equipment can be connected using MIDI thrus where available. Always ensure each piece of connected equipment is set to a different MIDI channel.

1. Set the receive MIDI channel on the DSL, this only needs to be done once.…

Press and hold the Loop On/Off switch (Front Panel Function #23) while powering up the amplifier to activate MIDI waiting mode.

The LED will flash until a valid MIDI command is received.

Send a MIDI PC command on the required MIDI channel from the connected controller to the DSL

The MIDI receive channel on the DSL will now be set.

2. If the user just wants to recall one variation of each channel, they can select each channel in turn from the front panel and set the state of the FX loop and Master (the switch settings are remembered per channel). They then only need to set their MIDI controller to send the appropriate program change message to recall that channel on the DSL.

3. If the user wishes to have multiple variations of each channel recalled e.g. Clean with FX Loop on and Master 1 and then clean with FX Loop Off and Master 2. They will need to set their controller to send a program change message to select the DSL’s channel and then MIDI CC messages to set the state of the FX Loop and Master.

For example:

Clean with FX Loop On and Master 1 – Send:

PC=00 [DSL Clean Channel]

CC=13 Value = 1 [DSL FX Loop On]

CC=14 Value = 0 [DSL Master 1]

Clean with FX Loop Off and Master 2 – Send:

CC=13 Value = 0 [DSL FX Loop Off]

CC=14 Value = 1 [DSL Master 2]

One final thing to note. When the 2-way footswitch is connected the amplifier will not respond to any MIDI messages and the channels won’t recall the saved state of the FX Loop (the 2-way overrides it), but the 6-way can be used without

ToneBone13B

Reaction score
For me the Boss MS-3 isn't overkill at all. I use it for all of my needed effects, volume control, channel and voice switching and a good tuner. I have found this set up is perfect for my needs with my DSL40CR, the MS-3 is a wonderful solution for me. Good luck everyone.

Treewiz please help me to get this to work properly. I too have a Boss MS-3 and a DSL40cr. When attempt to program my 1 switch to OD1 it takes me to the clean channel (green) instead. The 3 switch takes me to OD2 and I can't get the 2 switch to do anything!

I want this:
Patch 1=OD1
Patch2= OD2
Patch 3=crunch (red on classic channel)

Please help me!!!

UPDATE:

Just now looked at the second page of the thread where Curtis breaks it down Barney style for people like me. I think I should he able to make it work now. Trying it out in the morning.

Last edited:

Mark Tomlinson

Reaction score
Although this is an old thread, I'm learning a few things recently on the MS-3 + Marshall DSL40CR:

- changing master volumes requires just a control change # message...which I'm able to do with an external FS-7 assigned to MIDI cc# 14 (toggle)

- changing channels Classic Green/Red and Ultra Green/Red requires Program Change (every 4) and it seems the MS-3 can do this on a Patch Midi setting.

Where I'm stuck now, I'd like to use internal or external footswitch to send a Midi Program Change message to change channels. I can't find a way to do it. I think the Ctrl -> Assign's in the MS-3 only allow CC# messages and not program changes.

This means, I can only change channels on a patch change in the MS-3. At least I can use an external FS-7 to switch the Master Volumes.

peterplexi

Reaction score
For me the Boss MS-3 isn't overkill at all. I use it for all of my needed effects, volume control, channel and voice switching and a good tuner. I have found this set up is perfect for my needs with my DSL40CR, the MS-3 is a wonderful solution for me. Good luck everyone.
Hello...how exactly did you have to program the MS-3 to do changes. Did you have send midi numbers or did it just remember setrings for each patch? I wish they would have put a midi learn button on the amp.

Mark Tomlinson

Reaction score
Hello...how exactly did you have to program the MS-3 to do changes. Did you have send midi numbers or did it just remember setrings for each patch? I wish they would have put a midi learn button on the amp.

EDITED: I'm sorry, I accidentally hijacked your reply to peterplexi...just missed reading the specifics there. Apologies.

<voluntary intrusion>
For me, I put my other midi devices (H9) on other channels, so the default DSL40CR midi is channel 1. I didn't change it.

What I configured means 3 things:
- I configured program change from MS-3 based on PATCH MIDI# slot to select the channel on the amp.
- I could NOT configure an ASSIGN# slot from a CTL IN footswitch to change the channels, because ASSIGN# only allow for control change messages and not program change messages.
- I then configured a control change message from an ASSIGN# slot, triggered from an external CTL IN footswitch for changing the Master Volume on the DSL40CR.

So, those are the minor limitation on the MS-3 - where'd I'd rather have the ability to send a program change message on an ASSIGN# slot triggered by a footswitch like the FS-7. Top button toggles through the Classic Channels, bottom button toggles the Ultra Channels. Then I could assign one of the NUM# buttons to switch the MV.

I'm now re-thinking configuration for the interactive use of the MS-3. My playing now is mostly spent in practice, composing, experimenting and jamming. The versatility of my pedals, the MS-3 and the DSL40CR should make all things possible. Here's what I'm thinking:
- just like the MS-3 out-of-the-box, I could configure each patch with custom MIDI setup on the amp specific to that patch. This works fine for practice, composing and experimenting, but not so much when you are just in a jamming situation. I'll also never fricking remember that patch 3 is wildly different than patch 4.
- what about an entire bank for just one channel of the DSL40CR? Like...all the patches are similar in that bank...tonally consistent. By example, I will have to remember that Banks 1-3 are Classic Clean, then Banks 4-5 are Classic Crunch. And even as I write this now, it's obvious that I'll forget what fricking banks are which channel.
- then my brain said ("Hmmm, there are 4 NUM# slots on the MS-3 and I have 4 channels on the DSL40CR. Hmmm...") what if I configure settings where I copied the same patch across an entire bank (duplicating them), but then alter the program change # on each patch to always align to the same channel on the DSL40CR.
NUM1 = Classic Clean
NUM2 = Classic Clean/crunch
NUM3 = Ultra OD1
NUM4 = Ultra OD2

First - I would mentally be aligned between pedal setup and amp channel setup...I can remember that.
Second - the MS-3 still has my other pedals/loops and manual mode for jamming options...I can remember that.
Third - I can leverage the LiveSet in the library to keep things organized, with patch naming and order by bank
Fourth - I could still assign a footswitch to MV toggle, for tonal boosting in the amp

That's where my mind is right now, we'll see how it goes.
</voluntary intrusion>

keysclan

Reaction score
On the DSL each of the 4 channels clean, crunch, OD1, OD2 are assigned in a loop to every four MIDI program change messages and can’t be changed e.g.

PC 00 = CLEAN

PC 01 = CRUNCH

PC 02 = OD1

PC 03 = OD2

PC 04 = CLEAN

PC 05 = CRUNCH

PC 06 = OD1

PC 07 = OD2

PC 08 = CLEAN etc.

Connect the MIDI controller to the DSL – MIDI Out to MIDI In. Multiple equipment can be connected using MIDI thrus where available. Always ensure each piece of connected equipment is set to a different MIDI channel.

Press and hold the Loop On/Off switch (Front Panel Function #23) while powering up the amplifier to activate MIDI waiting mode.

Send a MIDI PC command on the required MIDI channel from the connected controller to the DSL

2. If the user just wants to recall one variation of each channel, they can select each channel in turn from the front panel and set the state of the FX loop and Master (the switch settings are remembered per channel). They then only need to set their MIDI controller to send the appropriate program change message to recall that channel on the DSL.

3. If the user wishes to have multiple variations of each channel recalled e.g. Clean with FX Loop on and Master 1 and then clean with FX Loop Off and Master 2. They will need to set their controller to send a program change message to select the DSL’s channel and then MIDI CC messages to set the state of the FX Loop and Master.

For example:

One final thing to note. When the 2-way footswitch is connected the amplifier will not respond to any MIDI messages and the channels won’t recall the saved state of the FX Loop (the 2-way overrides it), but the 6-way can be used without
Somebody help please!? I have a dsl40cr and an ms3. Amp doesn't seem to be receiving (or reacting to) the pc messages from the ms3. I've followed these instructions. What am I doing wrong?

keysclan

Reaction score
Ah! It works when you set the dsl to receive on Omni. But how can I get the Dsl40 to receive on Channel 1, which is the channel my ms3 is sending on...?
Somebody help please!? I have a dsl40cr and an ms3. Amp doesn't seem to be receiving (or reacting to) the pc messages from the ms3. I've followed these instructions. What am I doing wrong?

Last edited:

SlapHand

Reaction score
From page 6 in the manual:

The MIDI receive channel is factory-set to channel 1. In order to set a different channel, press and hold the Loop On/Off switch (Front Panel Function #23) while powering up the amplifier to activate MIDI waiting mode. The LED will flash until a valid MIDI command is received.The MIDI receive channel will be set to the channel of that command.

keysclan

Reaction score
From page 6 in the manual:

The MIDI receive channel is factory-set to channel 1. In order to set a different channel, press and hold the Loop On/Off switch (Front Panel Function #23) while powering up the amplifier to activate MIDI waiting mode. The LED will flash until a valid MIDI command is received.The MIDI receive channel will be set to the channel of that command.
Thanks - yeah that's what I was doing, but it wasn't picking up anything on ch1. Only when I set it to Omni would it respond to midi messages...?

SlapHand

Reaction score
I´m not familiar with the ms3 but have had success controlling the DSL40cr with a GigRig G2 and a Helix HX/FX.

Make shure you only send MIDI on one channel when configuring the DSL. If you use a patch on the ms3 to initiate the DSL and that patch controls more than the DSL, say also sends MIDI to a pedal on another channel, the DSL might get confused...

Good Luck!

tmingle

Reaction score

PC 00 = CLEAN

PC 01 = CRUNCH

PC 02 = OD1

PC 03 = OD2

PC 04 = CLEAN

PC 05 = CRUNCH

PC 06 = OD1

PC 07 = OD2

PC 08 = CLEAN etc.

For example:

This works like a champ with the Helix. Thanks