Marshall DSL40C

• Thread starter KISS NATION
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

caiokiss

Reaction score
If you drop a boss ge7 in the loop, Metallica is easy to get. Do it with my blackstar all the time. It's not really an eq pedal for me, it's a "Kirk pedal"

What are the settings you use on the GE-7?
I have one and with my previous gear that was exactly what I used to get this kind of sound. I Didn't try with this amp yet.

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
What are the settings you use on the GE-7?
I have one and with my previous gear that was exactly what I used to get this kind of sound. I Didn't try with this amp yet.

This should get you the ADFA tone

100: 0
200: -5
400: 0
800: -10
16K: 5
32K: 5
64K: 5
Level: 5

Vinsanitizer

Motivational Speaker
VIP Member
Reaction score
I finally got the upload to work on soundcloud . Lousy playing but it is still a work in progress. Schenker is tuff to play (thats my excuse)
https://soundcloud.com/jamn_2006/letitroll11413
This was the stock speaker 20w no pedal. I will do one with a single WGS retro 30 75w. It sounds better . I need to get a reaper to go with the Retro 30.

Nice tone, nice playing. You need to listen closer to the rhythm guitar work in that UFO song because you're not following it accurately, but you are well on your way. :)

Dizzyg12

Reaction score
I have a DSL40C and it is good.

I'm chomping at the bit to get one.....and the new sl-5. And the new prs tremonti se custom. And a Taylor acoustic.

I may need some therapy for my GAS attack. Or a good divorce attorney. Lol

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Nice tone, nice playing. You need to listen closer to the rhythm guitar work in that UFO song because you're not following it accurately, but you are well on your way. :)

I know it needs a lot of work. I had to start somewhere. I could have picked an easier song. Don't know if I will ever get it right. I have used that song to gauge what the amp is capable of as far single note sustain as well.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
I had the chance to try out a DSL 15 today. I thought it was more manageable than the 40. Easier to get the classic tone. Not as thin sounding.

I'm not sure if it's the speaker, or the tubes, but I find that Marshall has been borrowing the muddy low end from Mesa/Fender on these.

I'd recommend the 15 over the 40 though, although, I didn't try the 40 @ ½ power...
I didn't like the 40 first time I tried it. I did not try a 15, tried a class 5 briefly but it was way loud suppose they need a pedal in front.
The 40 has an effects loop. Most common complaint is it's fizzy (treble) guys cutting treble and gain way down as much as possible helps a lot.
It sounds good in 20w mode but that is to my ears.
I needed more power , I had a Hughes & kettner Tubemeister 18w and it is quite versatile and compact.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
All Right Now:
Classic Gain - Crunch mode
Gain - 6
Treble - 5
Mid - 7
Bass - 2
Tone shift - out
Presence - 5
Resonance - 3

Back in Blak:
Ultra Gain - Lead 1 mode
Gain - 4
Treble - 2
Mid - 5
Bass - 5
Tone Shift - out
Presesnce - 5
Resonance - 5

Of course the guitar, pickups, and mic placement can make a huge difference on the final sound.
That is great to get an idea for those of us who are still finding settings for specific genre songs.

caiokiss

Reaction score
Another clip.:)

Somebody at TGP ask me about the cleans on the DSL40c, so I recorded something clean (or almost clean):

MP3 Player SoundClick

Classic Gain - Clean mode
Gain - 6 (7 on the solo)
Treble - 3
Mid - 4
Bass - 6
Tone shift - out
Presence - 6
Resonance - 6

Nobody buys a Marshall for its cleans, but I think it's not bad on this amp.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in my lousy playing I have a part of JP Victim of Changes.It needs some work but I would rather use a song to judge the amp tone than just a couple of cords that don't cut it. Be gentle on my playing, I'm old .lol
https://soundcloud.com/jamn_2006/jp2vc12913

I need to add settings to this:
Dean Deceiver "X" import pick ups, wgs retro 30 and celestian G12-m70 16ohm
Ultra Gain
Gain 3
Vol. 1
Lead in
Treble 8
Mid 4
Bass 8
Tone shift out
Pres. 10
Res. 2

Last edited:

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
What I did with this song is back in the day I had the cords wrong and the scale notes wrong. I went and got some tab to fix it but old habits are hard to break. Trying to sync with the album version with the volume fading in is tough for me I need to get the live intro down and redo this. I got a lot on my plate right now and work nights but it's all fun.

caiokiss

Reaction score
If anyone is interested in my lousy playing I have a part of JP Victim of Changes.It needs some work but I would rather use a song to judge the amp tone than just a couple of cords that don't cut it. Be gentle on my playing, I'm old .lol

Ultra Gain
Gain 3
Vol. 1
Lead in
Treble 8
Mid 4
Bass 8
Tone shift out
Pres. 10
Res. 2

I thinks it's a great tone!
But you are using a 2x12" cabinet, right? I think that with that settings (treble on 8 and presence on 10), the stock amp would sound very very bright.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Thank you caio, and yes it would be very bright even when I had just the single WGS retro 30 (celestian vintage 30 clone) I had the treble down around 6 and the tone shift in and a slightly less gain how ever I forgot to say I have the volume and the tone backed off slightly on the guitar to.
I know less is more on these amps and backing down the treble sounds good but it depends on the song.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Another clip.:)

Somebody at TGP ask me about the cleans on the DSL40c, so I recorded something clean (or almost clean):

MP3 Player SoundClick

Classic Gain - Clean mode
Gain - 6 (7 on the solo)
Treble - 3
Mid - 4
Bass - 6
Tone shift - out
Presence - 6
Resonance - 6

Nobody buys a Marshall for its cleans, but I think it's not bad on this amp.
Sounds good.

thenoodler

Reaction score

Ultra Gain
Gain 3
Vol. 1
Lead in
Treble 8
Mid 4
Bass 8
Tone shift out
Pres. 10
Res. 2

Good example showing how you can get good tone without having to crank the volume all the way up on the Amp.

ibmorjamn

Reaction score
Thanks, I really believe in this amp and tone options. Honestly so far even though I have a couple of pedals they don't seem necessary with this amp and low volume with a tube amp is quite easy with the 40c. My Dean limited run "Water V" should be on the way and that should be a whole different level and if I ever finish the paint on my 82 Dean baby V it will have a Duncan JB. The new V will have a DMT time capsule (hot paf style) I can't wait to try those with this amp.

Last edited:

seattleman1969

Reaction score
I have a new one, recently purchased. My observations reflect what many have stated, C19 Must go to reduce the highs on lead side. The amp as it comes stock is just ok. with the following mods, it is now PHENOMENAL!

Removed C19
Replaced stock Speaker with Creamback G12M-65
Replaced 12AX7 Tubes with JJ ECC803s Gold Pins (Yes, they do have a different sound to the standards in my ears)
Replaced EL34's with Tung Sol EL34Bs, matching pair
Biased to 38 Mv

This amp is now amazing. I will never need another amp unless this one gets stolen or somehow breaks beyond repair (I doubt that). When run on the Channel 1 Crunch mode in parallel with my Super Champ XD (Also re-tubed with a full set of JJs and an Eminence RC Speaker) I am 100% in SRV mega tone territory! The 40C is sweet by itself, Crunch for Blues and Southern Rock, Lead 1 for Harder rock, and Lead 2 for 80's metal and even beyond with a slight boost.

I cannot be any happier with the sound of this amp.

My suggestions for improvement of the stock product:

Upgrade the stock speaker
Remove C19 or at least provide a cut switch as an option to kill C19
Provide capability to channel switch the two channel modes
Ditch the on board reverb, it's weak

Axeplyr

Reaction score
Replaced stock Speaker with Creamback G12M-65

I cannot be any happier with the sound of this amp.

My suggestions for improvement of the stock product:

Upgrade the stock speaker
etc

Please expound on the Creamback. I have a DSL40C and am thinking of a speaker swap. How does it sound? How did it change the tone?

Thanks!

caiokiss

Reaction score
Please expound on the Creamback. I have a DSL40C and am thinking of a speaker swap. How does it sound? How did it change the tone?

Thanks!

I would like to know more about the creamback too! I'm planning on changing the stock speaker for this one.

Aerostar2005

Reaction score
I got my DSL40C about a month ago. I'm playing Blues with it using a Strat and a Tele..All I can say is WHOA! The tone with a little gain is amazing. But I also found some great Heavy Rock tones with it as well. I'm in a blues bands , and a classic rock band, and the amp fits the bill perfectly.