Marshall Haze or Marshall DSL 401 JCM 2000

• Thread starter Arthur
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Which One???

• Marshall Haze

Votes: 17 33.3%
  • Marshall DSL 401 JCM 2000

Votes: 34 66.7%

• Total voters

Arthur

Reaction score
Hey Guys,
If price, value and things like that weren't problems and your choice was purely based on overall tone which would you choose?

Thanks,
Arthur

wanky

Reaction score
never tried a haze but i played at dsl401 cranked to around 6-7 when i played in punk band(6 years ago) and it sounded amazing.

but id still take my 5150 or 6100 over it

but for combo its wasn't bad at all

i nearly scored a DSL201 for $250 but i missed out :(

rawk

Reaction score
It depends what you want. The DSL401 has a very agressive tone, good for more modern stuff and the Haze has a softer more laid back sound, better for 60s and 70s rock.

Rockerduck

Reaction score
The DSL 401 has alot of heat related issues. If you buy it used, watch out. It needs a fan installed. The Haze sounds good, but alot get returned for issues, not heat, also. Just go to a music store that sells the haze and they will tell you.

FMTDee

Reaction score
I don't know about a DSL combo, but I went through SEVERAL Haze 40's trying to get one without problems. It sounded great, nice cleans (for my tastes), lots of low-end, but because of its closed back and its internal design, the tubes are just too damn close to the speakers and there was inescapable rattle. Attempts to fix and re-tube did not solve the problem.

I really wanted to love it, I just couldn't.

But then, that whole experience (plus some great advice from some people on this forum) made me see that what I really needed was a head and cab setup. I just had to make the jump. ;)

Maybe I'm just jaded when I comes to combos now, I don't know.

Good luck

Rockerduck

Reaction score
I have a few combo's. But for my playing, I went back to head and cab. Loud combo's were too heavy. I'd rather make two trips and not strain myself. Plus, the sound is sooo much better with a head and cab.

thrawn86

Reaction score
Word to the 401. It sounds great. Keep a fan blowing on the tubes, and it will help reduce the heat inside the chassis as well.

DeLorean

Reaction score
The DSL 401 has alot of heat related issues. If you buy it used, watch out. It needs a fan installed. The Haze sounds good, but alot get returned for issues, not heat, also. Just go to a music store that sells the haze and they will tell you.

Not strictly true re DSL heat issues - Yes the older ones had overheating probs, the newer DSL401's - after 2005 - were fine. :)

Rockerduck

Reaction score
Thanks, I didn't know that, since they have stopped production; I just figured they were the same. I have a late DSL 100 and those old issues are still around with it.

wanky

Reaction score

is this an issue for most marshall combos? ive heard stories about the 6101 and some TSL models

thrawn86

Reaction score
Probably for most combos in general, Marshall or otherwise. They can be deathtraps for the heat they produce.

JohnH

Reaction score
I own the DSL combo but have only tried the Haze once. The Haze seemed to make great sounds right out of the box, the DSL takes more tweaking, but has more character. i hated the DSL stock speaker, love it with a V30 though. The Haze seemed to have n OK speaker, neither loved nor hated.

Haze is a fine easy option. DSL401 is better if you work at it though.

IMO of course
J

guitarman8

Reaction score
Recently I've been throwing up reviews at youtube with the DSL401.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seYhX-SiFCc]YouTube - Marshall DSL401 Digitech CR7 chorus, Demeter Fuzzulator Trower tune review[/ame]

I used the gain sides 1 yellow gain set at 3/4's gain for Strats. Most of the song is that with a Digitech CR7 chorus. When you hear the massive deep fuzz well you can hear me click the foot pedal on that's the demeter fuzzulator.

My amp is the first year it's a 1998, the speaker I use is a older marshall G12M-70 amp can get hot but it hasn't missed a lick, been using it for years. The low priced Lexicon MPX200 works well in the effects loop, it's very quiet it's used for echo and reverb. I even have to turn the amps effect level down to half.

Enjoyable amp with Strats or Les Pauls.

Gblev

Reaction score
I've never played the dsl, and my Haze, when Ifirst got it, I was little unsure, because it just didn't seem to have the power I was really wanting, but after about month or so, this amp came into it's own and the tone just kept getting better. Probably some of the best cleans I've ever herd from a tube amp, pristine cleans. I think it took awhile for the speaker to break in. It has great vintage tone for classic rock stuff.

qjg1965

Reaction score
I had a 2004 DSL 401 and it got way too hot, I ended up returning it. Last year I found a brand new 2006 DSL 401 in the box and bought it. It ran warm but nothing like the 2004. After about ten months of usage it started to get real hot and decided that was enough for me and sold it. I really did like the amp and love the Marshall tone, but didnt want to deal with the issues.

Now I'm looking at the Haze 15 head or the Blackstar HT 20. So far I haven't heard about any heat issues with the Haze head, however I've heard alot of good reviews about the Blackstars.

Latest posts