Marshall JCM 800 2203 50 Watt..???

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
my first post here.

I just bought this on reverb...
I have some time to back out of it, but can you guys let me know your thoughts?
This guy said it belonged to Ric Ocasek...
I know Marshall never made a 2203 50 WATT... but this guy said it was specially made for him.
He originally listed for $15,000........ I just bought it for 2k.
Anyone have input here?
Please let me know!!

Here's what he said in the description!

Up for grabs is a Marshall JCM800 2203 50w previously owned by Ric Ocasek and Syncro Sound. I know what you’re thinking: there is no such thing as a 50w version of the 2203. Ric, stubbornly, wanted a 50 watt version of his 2203 for the Heartbeat City recording sessions. After talking with Ric about this around mid 2012, he explained there was much back and forth with Marshall over this particular amp. He had sent back the first couple of 50w amps because they didn’t sound right. To his ears, the 100w 2203 had a certain “clack” that the 2204 models couldn’t provide. It’s to my knowledge that there is no difference between the actual circuitry but, never the less, Marshall delivered a “2203 50w” version to Ric. Safe to say this is likely the only 50 watt JCM 800 labeled as a 2203 model on the planet. After the Heartbeat City sessions, Ric said he shipped this amp back to Boston where it lived until the studio's final ‘closing’ in the early 90s. I cannot confirm it was used on any specific recordings after Heartbeat City, but many artists tracked at Syncro Sound after 1984 including Ric, Benjamin Orr, Elliot Easton, Greg Hawkes, Peter Wolf, Nine Inch Nails, Iggy Pop, Ministry, Alan Vega (Suicide), New Kids on the Block, Cyndi Lauper, and many others. It was most likely used for some sessions.

Please note, I do not have a COA for this item. I did reach out to Ric a few years ago about getting a COA for the JCM 800 along with the Prophet 5 I also own (and plan to list soon) from Syncro Sound. His response to my request was that he would prefer to buy them back from me. The line went cold after I declined to sell them back to him, understandably.

As for the amplifier itself, it’s in great shape inside and out. It is also technically an export (US) model with EL34s, which is quite odd as the US models were fitted with 6550s. I did have the electrolytic capacitors updated by one of New York’s finest amp builders about 10 years ago so there is no risk of failure. Cosmetically there is one small ding on the back of the cabinet and small wax stain from a candle (both pictured). It has lived in a studio setting it’s entire life and it has been well maintained. To my knowledge, there are no modifications to the amp.
Check my feedback and buy with confidence. I have sold a number of rare and/or artist owned gear here on Reverb over the years. If you have any questions hit me up.

Prophet 5? That's my favorite.