Marshall JCM800 1959 100w Super Lead

• Thread starter Marshall Dillion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshall Dillion

Reaction score
I have a 1982 JCM 800 1959 100w Super Lead with matching cab I picked up new back in the day of long hair and bleeding ear drums, I fell in love with it instantly- It just screams rock and roll. I never tinkered with it and just left it all original., except for some new tubes.
My question is do you have one, know about them or what's your thoughts on this model ? I myself think it's one of the most iconic amplifiers ever made by Marshall or ranks right up there in the top 5.
Also what's your thoughts on the 1959 model ????

Attachments

• marshall-1959-jcm800-super 1959 .jpg
    marshall-1959-jcm800-super 1959 .jpg
    512.1 KB · Views: 83
Last edited:

This site may earn a commission from merchant links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Ray Baker

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a 1982 JCM 800 1959 100w Super Lead with matching cab I picked up new back in the day of long hair and bleeding ear drums, I fell in love with it instantly- It just screams rock and roll. I never tinkered with it and just left it all original., except for some new tubes.
My question is do you have one, know about them or what's your thoughts on this model ? I myself think it's one of the most iconic amplifiers ever made by Marshall or ranks right up there in the top 5.
I have a '79 1959, amazing head but at Volume. I don't know how long Marshall made them in the JCM800 family but I first saw them at the US Festival when Judas Priest used them. Without a doubt the 1959 is one of the most iconic amps ever made.

Marshall Dillion

Reaction score
Some interesting facts about the early iconic Marshalls amps.

The JCM800 series (Models 2203, 2204, 2205 and 2210) is a line of guitar amplifies made by Marshall. The series was introduced in 1981 and production of the 800 series ran up thru 91. Although models 1959 and 1987 had been in production since 1965 and the 2203 and 2204 had been in production since 1975, they were redesigned and introduced as JCM800 amplifiers in '81 up until . The JCM800 amplifiers became a staple of 1980s hard rock and heavy metal bands.
In 1981, Marshall finally reached the end of its 15-year distribution deal with Rose-Morris which had severely limited its potential to sell amplifiers outside England; Rose-Morris tagged 55% onto the sticker price for exported models. The JCM800 was the first series produced after the contract expired. The name comes from Jim Marshalls initials, "J.C.M.", coupled with the meaningless "800" from the license plate on his car. It was later noted that "800" stood for the decade. For example, the JCM900 was released in 1990 and the JCM2000 was released in 2000.
Your model was from the beginning line of Marshall Heads under the watchful eyes of the distribution company Rose -Morris.
Your 79' model was out of that original amps that Marshall made. Nice!
Question - what do you think your 59 is worth today?

Last edited:

V-man

Reaction score
I have heard pro and con on the JCM 1959. The pro is it is rare in terms of numbers. The con is I have heard others complaining about the sound… what that means (vs PTP ‘72 superleads? Their particular amp) IDK. What I know is my 1959 is a RR sig. which aside from the rarity the white tolex and the cascade mod is a PCB model 1959 and it sounds fucking glorious.

Definitely look at a modern attenuator/DI box to allow you to get the best tone at convenient levels. It was the game changer for mine.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
The JMP 1959 is not rare. I own three of them, made in 1969, 1973, and 1974. All were found locally. I'm not even on the radar when it comes to being an "amp collector".

In 1973 the way they were made changed from all hand-wired on a point-to-point circuit board consisting of turrets or eyelets, to which the parts were soldered, to the usage of a printed circuit board to speed up production. There's really no tonal difference. They used pretty much the same components, just with shorter leads to fit the component lead drill pattern on the PC board.

They're not as common as a Peavey Bandit but there are several available at any given moment on Reverb, or eBay, or even Craigslist. if you want one, you can get one. It just takes a few thousand bucks to get one.

The 1959 is one of the true rock and roll legendary amplifiers. It's a development of the much rarer JTM 45/100 which is a development of the iconic and very rare JTM45 which is the Marshall that started it all.

The 1959 with its tighter and brighter tone brought in a new kind of rock and roll in the late 60s and in the 70s they started to be the amp of choice for gain and tonal modifications that eventually led to the dawn of heavy metal. The sound of a heavily modded Marshall 1959 pretty much defined the sound of 80s glam/hair/buttrock heavy metal.

They are not high gain, low volume amps. To deliver a tone with a good amount of drive to it, you run it loud. They don't have a master volume control. And they DO get LOUD. Holy hell, they get loud! I'd know. I've run mine flat out numerous times. With good hearing protection.

The circuit schematic for 1959s never really changed much. The construction changed during the JCM800 era, but a 1959 is still a 1959 in every way that really matters. I favor the older JMP era ones, before they added plastic corner protectors to the head cabinet and went to the big Marshall logo, but that's just a mattter of preferring the classic original style more than anything else.

V-man

Reaction score
The JMP 1959 is not rare. I own three of them, made in 1969, 1973, and 1974. All were found locally. I'm not even on the radar when it comes to being an "amp collector".

In 1973 the way they were made changed from all hand-wired on a point-to-point circuit board consisting of turrets or eyelets, to which the parts were soldered, to the usage of a printed circuit board to speed up production. There's really no tonal difference. They used pretty much the same components, just with shorter leads to fit the component lead drill pattern on the PC board.

They're not as common as a Peavey Bandit but there are several available at any given moment on Reverb, or eBay, or even Craigslist. if you want one, you can get one. It just takes a few thousand bucks to get one.

The 1959 is one of the true rock and roll legendary amplifiers. It's a development of the much rarer JTM 45/100 which is a development of the iconic and very rare JTM45 which is the Marshall that started it all.

The 1959 with its tighter and brighter tone brought in a new kind of rock and roll in the late 60s and in the 70s they started to be the amp of choice for gain and tonal modifications that eventually led to the dawn of heavy metal. The sound of a heavily modded Marshall 1959 pretty much defined the sound of 80s glam/hair/buttrock heavy metal.

They are not high gain, low volume amps. To deliver a tone with a good amount of drive to it, you run it loud. They don't have a master volume control. And they DO get LOUD. Holy hell, they get loud! I'd know. I've run mine flat out numerous times. With good hearing protection.

The circuit schematic for 1959s never really changed much. The construction changed during the JCM800 era, but a 1959 is still a 1959 in every way that really matters. I favor the older JMP era ones, before they added plastic corner protectors to the head cabinet and went to the big Marshall logo, but that's just a mattter of preferring the classic original style more than anything else.
JCM SLPs are rare, certainly by comparison to JMP Superleads.

Marshall Dillion

Reaction score
This one looks like my 1959 model and mine was made in 82 according to the serial number on the back. The letter for today children is P which = 1982 - mine is still original with matching cab and it sounds like God reached down and hit it with a thunderbolt and said "You shall be Rock and Roll " - Now go find you a Gibson Les Paul Custom and the prophesy shall be complete.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I’m late to this thread, thanks for the info man, I know most of this, but l enjoy reading this kind of stuff. I’ve got a question for you, where does the JTM50 fit in, what years and so on?

I was always under the impression that the JTM50 was one of the rarest, or the rarest of Marshalls, is that true, at least from your perspective?

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Yes I'm sure the JTM50 is pretty rare, and the JTM100, even more so. I've only seen one JTM50 in person and no JTM100s. But I've seen a couple original JTM45s.

Derrick111

Reaction score
Although models 1959 and 1987 had been in production since 1965 and the 2203 and 2204 had been in production since 1975, they were redesigned and introduced as JCM800 amplifiers in '81 up until .

The JCM800 was not a redesign electronically, only cosmetically. This is a popular myth. They did continue to evolve just like JMPs before them did, but take away the series name (JCM800) and and the cosmetic change, and they are the same amps as the last JMPs before them from the early 80s. My '81 1959 is pretty much the same as a '82 electronically so the sound is similar. It is also important to not in saying this, that the JCM800s became a much more aggressive and progressively more trebly sounding amp with changes to internal voltage, filter changes, and some preamp circuit tweaks as the 80s progressed past about 1985. Either way, an '81 JMP and an '82 JCM800 should be electrically identical internally.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
This one looks like my 1959 model and mine was made in 82 according to the serial number on the back. The letter for today children is P which = 1982 - mine is still original with matching cab and it sounds like God reached down and hit it with a thunderbolt and said "You shall be Rock and Roll " - Now go find you a Gibson Les Paul Custom and the prophesy shall be complete.
It probably looks like yours because it is yours!

You posted this on Aug30, 2022.

You are the Marshall Dillion!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

V-man

Reaction score
The JCM800 was not a redesign electronically, only cosmetically. This is a popular myth. They did continue to evolve just like JMPs before them did, but take away the series name (JCM800) and and the cosmetic change, and they are the same amps as the last JMPs before them from the early 80s. My '81 1959 is pretty much the same as a '82 electronically so the sound is similar. It is also important to not in saying this, that the JCM800s became a much more aggressive and progressively more trebly sounding amp with changes to internal voltage, filter changes, and some preamp circuit tweaks as the 80s progressed past about 1985. Either way, an '81 JMP and an '82 JCM800 should be electrically identical internally.
True of the 1987 Lead and 1959 Super Lead amps regarding JMP to JCM conversion

Not true of the 1986 Bass and 1992 Super Bass amps.

Marshall Dillion

Reaction score
I have the exact same amp as yours and I will never sell it. When you think of the Rock Gods from back in the day this amp is what they were playing. I have left mine all original except for replacing the tubes and resetting the bias. I got mine in 1983 from the original owner who traded it for my Peavey PA system. To this day he wants to purchase it back from me.

Keep an close eye on your caps - if the tops of the caps start to pop up it means its time to replace the whole set. You can get a complete premium set for around $120. from any on line Amplifier Electronics parts store.
I didn't get the matching cab when I got the amp in 83 but I got a Marshall later on a 1960A 300W 4x12 Stereo cab made in the early 80s that sounds great with it.
I am afraid to run a full stack because I'm worried it might break out my windows. LOL
I have seen just the same amp head sell for around 4 grand.
The beauty is in the eye of the beholder or in this case the ears.
When ever I play it for someone they can't believe how great it sounds for being 40 years old. I will Never Sell it, I will pass this baby along to my daughter to hold for my young grandson to use with an the antique white Gibson Custom that will also be his.
All I know with equipment like this I am leaving him he better be a good guitar player.
He will also be getting my 1974 Fender Reverb I got for graduation. Tell me more about yours.
Tell me about yours or any stories you have about it.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
Hftzbvh.jpg
:scratch:
Zfghiiioo.jpg
:scratch:

I'm sorry, i don't understand this.

Isn't the amp in the opener 'your' amp?

Latest posts