Marshall JMP Master Model 2203 MK2 100watt MODS

• Thread starter Gohanndes
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Gohanndes

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Marshall JMP Master Model 2203 MK2 100watt and want to do the negative feedback mod. Which resistor on the board should be changed? and What is the recommended value to get a JCM800 feel?

South Park

Reaction score
You need to change the input to a cascade circuit to get the jcm feel not the negative feed back

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeas ago I tried this mod on a JMP 1987 and it took it out again as it destroyed the character of the amp IMHO

Rockat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Trying to get it sound like a 2203 as far as know is not practicable. I have both (well 2204). The only one I did to mine was a mod to get one volume to act as preamp vol. This allows me to get a great overdriven sound at usable volumes. My Tech did this for me so I don’t have the details. But the two amps are fantastic beasts. I could not pick a favourite, there both great amps but different!

Gohanndes

Reaction score
Well, originally I was interested in doing the NFB mod but I don't know which resistor to change and what value should I use.

johan.b

Reaction score
People need to read with more attention.

If you allready have a jmp2203 you have the same circuit as a jcm800 2203.

Later 800s have higher voltage and fewer caps but arranged for same capacitance and a 100 pF cap across anode/ cathode on the input stage, taking the highest highs down a bit.

Enjoy your amp... many people are envious of what you've got....

Gohanndes

Reaction score
People need to read with more attention.

If you allready have a jmp2203 you have the same circuit as a jcm800 2203.

Later 800s have higher voltage and fewer caps but arranged for same capacitance and a 100 pF cap across anode/ cathode on the input stage, taking the highest highs down a bit.

Enjoy your amp... many people are envious of what you've got....

Thanks! :cheers:

william vogel

Reaction score
Well, originally I was interested in doing the NFB mod but I don't know which resistor to change and what value should I use.
What tone/feel are you looking for out of the mod? I can help you but I’m not sure about the mod you are speaking of. Lowering the resistor value will increase the negative feedback and make the output section less aggressive up to the point of breakup. I don’t know how hard you push the power section, it’s 100 watts so it’s powerful. Using a smaller resistor will also increase the amount of presence. You’ll have to adjust to taste. Increasing the NFB resistor will make the amp more aggressive and reduce the presence.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
My advice: Unmodded original JMP 2203s are NOT getting more common. Every time someone mods one, there's one less original example. And they're becoming too valuable to look at as mod candidates.

So...don't mod it. If it's not the amp you are looking for, you'll have NO trouble selling it, for an average price of something in the neighborhood of 2500 dollars. Somebody wants it, in its ORIGINAL condition, and will pay that to get it.

Then apply that money to a lower cost amp, or maybe even a kit, if you want to go that far, and use that as your basis for modifications. Get the amp you want without modding a classic.

I won't do a mod to a 2203, not even an effects loop, unless the mod is 100 percent reversible. That means adding no holes to the chassis.

Drinkingdeath01

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I have a Marshall JMP Master Model 2203 MK2 100watt and want to do the negative feedback mod. Which resistor on the board should be changed? and What is the recommended value to get a JCM800 feel?
Like someone mentioned above me, I wouldn't mod this amp. It's worth more stock then what you want it to do. If your not into it, I'd sell it and buy what your looking for.

I'm not anti-mod by any means but these stock are getting harder and harder to come by.

Good luck on your quest for the tone your looking for !!!:cheers:

william vogel

Reaction score
I just finished a 2204 build. I posted in Building The Classics section here. I agree with everyone here about leaving it original. It’s your amp but I don’t know what you would you need to change.