Marshall JVM-1C and three pedals

• Thread starter daniel_angel
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

daniel_angel

Reaction score
Dear colleagues, I apologize for my English

I recently bought a Marshall JVM-1C completely new (yes, in 2016), and I am looking for no more than three different pedals.

I am convinced that the first should be a Reverb like Boss RV-6.

In second place I think that should be a Noise Reductor like Boss NS-2… because I am a beginner and for me is terrible to play in the dirt channel at high volume.

My main doubt is if I need to invest in a saturation or distortion pedal, like Boss SD-1, Tube Screemer TS9, Fulltone OCD or Boss DS-1 for using in the clean channel… but I am not sure if I will waste my money because it is no possible to improve the sound of the dirt channel of the amp

Have someone any experience with this specific amp?

Regards

SRT2011

Reaction score
First of all.....Welcome to the Forum and congrats on your new JVM-1C!

I am not a frequent poster on this forum, but do own a couple of the Marshall 1 watters (JTM-1C and JCM-1C), but not the JVM-1C.

That said, my suggestion to you is to not buy ANY pedals at this time.....just learn to play guitar directly into your JVM-1C.

If you are hearing a lot of noise in the high gain channel of your amp....turn the gain down! Some of that noise is probably due to the pickups of your guitar and a high gain setting on your amp.

Hope this helps and best of luck to you!

Tonton

Reaction score
Great amp for at home!

I assume you use humbuckers guitar (single coil would otherwise be a reason for noise)
Then fully agree to SRT, you just need to learn how to play with sensitive pickup and amp. leave gain around halfway it is enough. Learn how to mute with both left and right hand, don't buy a noisegate. You will learn to play 'clean'.

In the fx loop put a small dito looper, this is great for practise.
By using it in the fx loop you can make use of the 2 channel: record clean chords and practise dirt solo on top.

In the loop you can add a reverb and a delay. Will sound great!
I personaly think the new digitech pedals are really great and cheap: obscura delay and polara reverb.
just add a little reverb, to make sound little more alive and kick in the delay when you are in solo mood

I also have an OCD in front.
great for use on the clean channel for a more crunch type sound, which this amp doesn't have by itself.
OCD is known for really giving a nice organic type of low to medium type of distortion.
With this additional pedal you have full spectrum of clean, to blues, to 80's and metal at your hands.

great amp!
If you want bigger sound buy a 2nd hand 1x12 cabinet (like a 1912)
that sounds really good with this amp, much bigger than the internal 10" speaker.
But you can do that later when you became the advanced player!! :)

last tip: practise a lot! :)

Last edited:

John BNY

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a JVM 1 combo. I think you have to reduce the gain to about 9 o'clock max to have a workable gain channel. The amp has a lot of gain, and becomes very muddy if you have the gain set any higher. Lowering the gain will also reduce the noise.

Also, there is a significant improvement in tone once the speaker breaks in.

daniel_angel

Reaction score
Great amp for at home!

I assume you use humbuckers guitar (single coil would otherwise be a reason for noise)
Then fully agree to SRT, you just need to learn how to play with sensitive pickup and amp. leave gain around halfway it is enough. Learn how to mute with both left and right hand, don't buy a noisegate. You will learn to play 'clean'.

In the fx loop put a small dito looper, this is great for practise.
By using it in the fx loop you can make use of the 2 channel: record clean chords and practise dirt solo on top.

In the loop you can add a reverb and a delay. Will sound great!
I personaly think the new digitech pedals are really great and cheap: obscura delay and polara reverb.
just add a little reverb, to make sound little more alive and kick in the delay when you are in solo mood

I also have an OCD in front.
great for use on the clean channel for a more crunch type sound, which this amp doesn't have by itself.
OCD is known for really giving a nice organic type of low to medium type of distortion.
With this additional pedal you have full spectrum of clean, to blues, to 80's and metal at your hands.

great amp!
If you want bigger sound buy a 2nd hand 1x12 cabinet (like a 1912)
that sounds really good with this amp, much bigger than the internal 10" speaker.
But you can do that later when you became the advanced player!! :)

last tip: practise a lot! :)

Firstable, thanks for your answers.

My guitar is a Fender 60th Anniversary Commemorative Stratocaster, that in my opinion is a mix between American Standard and American Deluxe (three single coil).

Until now I have been used a Yamaha THR V.2 amplifier, which for many people is perfect to play at home, but I personally do not like it. In any case I've been looking for a tube amp with the lowest possible power ... because I'll only play in my bedroom, which share wall with my neighbor’s bedroom…

To play in the living room I used to use a Fender Frontman, which cost 60 dollars and allows me to use MP3 and headphones ... and avoid problems with the rest of my family.

So for me it was absolutely necessary to find an amp with 1 watio. Previously I tried with a Vox AC10 at the dealer store (I recognize that I like the crunch of this amp), but in my opinion has a very loud sound (much more than I expected).

Perhaps the most reasonable purchase was the BlackStar HT1-R, with Reverb, MP 3 input and headphone output but eventually I saw the Marshall…and I bought it.

I appreciate your comments about OCD... and I need to recognize that I have never heard about Ditto Looper or anything like this.

And also I have been surprised because anybody recommends a noise suppressor…

Regards

daniel_angel

Reaction score
Although I think SRT2011 is right when he says that I just learn to play directly whit the amp ......I would like to ask for the order of the pedals

Reverb - Delay - Looper (in the FX loop and in this order)?

OCD in front of the entrance?

Is it correct?

Daniel

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Although I think SRT2011 is right when he says that I just learn to play directly whit the amp ......I would like to ask for the order of the pedals

Reverb - Delay - Looper (in the FX loop and in this order)?

OCD in front of the entrance?

Is it correct?

Daniel

OCD in front and reverb and delay in fx. Try loop in front before OCD. That where I've had best success but others may have different experiences.

SRT2011

Reaction score
+1 Deep Purple Fan, delays and reverb in loop, overdrive pedals in front (this applies to any amp IMO). I can't offer advice about a looper because I have never used one.

OP, as others have already mentioned the JVM series has a tremendous amount of gain on tap and you are playing an all single coil guitar.
Nothing wrong with that (in fact, my primary guitar is a strat type, but I do have a HB in the bridge). That said, single coil guitars will always sound noisier than Humbuckers in high gain settings of any amp. I recommend you turn the gain way down and increase the channel volume to the level you want to hear.

Best of luck to you!