Marshall Amps Potentially Up for Sale Again: Could They Fetch €800 Million?

• Thread starter stonevibe
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PelliX

Reaction score
Reports are going around that Marshall is looking to sell.

Let's look at this from another angle; all involved parties claim Marshall has been doing well since the takeover by Zound. Nowhere does the article even so much as hint at a source, which in journalism often means it was pulled out of thin air (or an orifice typically covered in public). The website featuring the article ends the last paragraph on a list of recommendations when buying a Marshall product.

"This article contains affiliate links to Thomann that help finance the running costs of GuitarBomb. If you buy something through these links, we will receive a small commission. Don’t worry as you pay the same price, and it costs you no extra to use these affiliate links for your purchases."

While I have no evidence pointing the other way, occam's razor states that this is likely just a quick way to get some publicity - even if just by stirring up a rumor.

V-man

Reaction score
While I have no evidence pointing the other way, occam's razor states that this is likely just a quick way to get some publicity - even if just by stirring up a rumor.

You certainly can’t rule that out but a nationwide blackout on (substantially) all products worth buying, no more replacement boards being produced and shortages (cabs?) in Europe at least give strong support regarding the veracity of the article’s claims.

PelliX

Reaction score
You certainly can’t rule that out but a nationwide blackout on (substantially) all products worth buying, no more replacement boards being produced and shortages (cabs?) in Europe at least give strong support regarding the veracity of the article’s claims.

Nationwide blackout? Replacement boards are typically not made 'as such', the manufacturer just ensures there's an excess of parts when producing a given product. Let's randomly assume they sell 10.000 Origin 50's and keep maybe 1000 boards on spare - totally random numbers, but you get my point. Of course I've heard of the issues on the other side of the pond but here in Europe I haven't seen a shortage on cabs? Some delays on amps, that's true. My guess is that Zound decided they were big enough to simply set up that supply chain and they're either re-evaluating that stance or working hard to make it happen... I'd put that down to administrative fuckery more than anything else.
I'll agree the "Marshall experience" has been a bit rough recently, but just the slightest hint at a source for these rumors would go a long way for me.

Fosheti

Reaction score
Something is definitely going on. They just aren’t moving any product right now especially the higher end stuff. Supposedly there will be new shipments in November. That would confirm things are stable. I guess we will just have to wait and see if those shipments materialize.

Fosheti

Reaction score
A buyout would be ok as long as they are interested in preserving the quality of the product which is probably unlikely based on similar transactions in the past with other companies.

HAN

Reaction score
First it says Eur 389mm profit then it says Eur 80mm ebitda… Jef should get his finance down.

scarified

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool if Marshall Amplification was bought by Boutique Amps Distribution? They already own brands like Friedman, Soldano, and Morgan, and seem to have both the desire and resources to keep industry legends like Dave Friedman, Brian Wampler, Mike Soldano, and Joe Morgan on board.

I’m not sure how many rock-star designers are still at Marshall (apologies if I’ve missed someone obvious), but folks like Steve Dawson, Santiago Alvarez, and even the Blackstar crew are still active. Imagine if Dave Friedman—who, let's be honest, is crafting the best modern Marshalls—were put in charge.

Boutique Amps Distribution also owns Synergy, the team behind the IR-X/D pedals. I just updated my software to include OwnHammer IRs and noticed the Synergy logo there. Now, imagine refreshing the Synergy 800 and Plexi modules as official Marshall versions. Add in models like the Jubilee, JTM45, the 900s, JVM, etc., all equipped with Celestion-loaded IRs. This could seriously challenge the likes of UAFX, Kemper, Quad Cortex, and Tonex, bringing Marshall fully into the digital age.

On top of that, BAD has a strong U.S. distribution network and manufacturing capabilities. It would make economic sense to build big, heavy cabs in the U.S. for the U.S. market (just look at Trace-Elliot/Peavey). Plus, BAD's Asian manufacturing arm already produces high-quality gear. And don’t forget their artist relations.

Of course, this is all just speculation. I don’t have any inside info—just a guy who grew up playing Marshalls, daydreaming a little.

guitarbilly74

Reaction score
Wouldn't it be cool if Marshall Amplification was bought by Boutique Amps Distribution? They already own brands like Friedman, Soldano, and Morgan, and seem to have both the desire and resources to keep industry legends like Dave Friedman, Brian Wampler, Mike Soldano, and Joe Morgan on board.

I’m not sure how many rock-star designers are still at Marshall (apologies if I’ve missed someone obvious), but folks like Steve Dawson, Santiago Alvarez, and even the Blackstar crew are still active. Imagine if Dave Friedman—who, let's be honest, is crafting the best modern Marshalls—were put in charge.

Boutique Amps Distribution also owns Synergy, the team behind the IR-X/D pedals. I just updated my software to include OwnHammer IRs and noticed the Synergy logo there. Now, imagine refreshing the Synergy 800 and Plexi modules as official Marshall versions. Add in models like the Jubilee, JTM45, the 900s, JVM, etc., all equipped with Celestion-loaded IRs. This could seriously challenge the likes of UAFX, Kemper, Quad Cortex, and Tonex, bringing Marshall fully into the digital age.

On top of that, BAD has a strong U.S. distribution network and manufacturing capabilities. It would make economic sense to build big, heavy cabs in the U.S. for the U.S. market (just look at Trace-Elliot/Peavey). Plus, BAD's Asian manufacturing arm already produces high-quality gear. And don’t forget their artist relations.

Of course, this is all just speculation. I don’t have any inside info—just a guy who grew up playing Marshalls, daydreaming a little.
I don't think BAD can afford Marshall, its too big a company for them, bigger than BAD itself. But they could try to enter in a partnership with them for things like Synergy modules and IR pedals. That would be cool and profitable for both companies.

MaskingApathy

Reaction score
I don't think BAD can afford Marshall, its too big a company for them, bigger than BAD itself. But they could try to enter in a partnership with them for things like Synergy modules and IR pedals. That would be cool and profitable for both companies.
They tried with the Synergy modules but Marshall declined, which is why the 800 and Plexi modules are unbranded. But yes you're right, Marshall is way too big and expensive for BAD. And personally I would rather see them be their own thing, not part of a bigger network of amp companies.

thesunship

Reaction score
i thought the german guy just said they were coming out with great stuff soon and he thinks marshall would do well.

you know the guy that said they would fail a few months ago? I forget his name.

Latest posts