problem soldering the shield on cables

• Thread starter javier pintos
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

javier pintos

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i looked up but i think there is no conversation around this and i tried to look it up on the internet (yes there should be some info but i can´t find it).

I have some experience soldering, but whenever i have to solder the braided shield of "audio" cables including mic and guitar cables i just have no luck soldering the shield, there is always a blackish finish on the shield, no problem at all soldering the conductors, just the shield, i was told that the shield some times (would be an always in my experience) comes with a coating that makes soldering a challenge, i have tried different solders, diff soldering irons with soldering paste withous soldering paste you name it i just cannot make the shield to solder, does anyopne have a known trick for that, i´m not talking about "name" caboles but i have at least use like 6 different cables and they all do the same thing, this are bulk cable sold for this puspose

edit: forgot to say that i have been told to "burn" the braided shield so the "coating" burns and the it solders good, well no good, clieaned the braides shielding with solvents, no good, use a real hot iron no good, medium hot iron no good

Best regards

javier pintos

Reaction score
:wallbash: why din´t i think of that... tkx fro bringing that out, the "color" suggest cooper but now that you mention it i would assume that´s it, i do know the cabelcomes from china,any particular type and brand of solder you would suggest in your experience?

best regards

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What's your iron temp? I run about 700° to 750° on a Weller. Keep your tips clean. Don't buy cheap solder. Use rosin core. It's expensive but it works. I don't use flux paste for anything soldered with an iron. Cheers