Marshall Origin 20 Head Speaker Jack Issue

fauxsuper

Reaction score
I recently purchased a Origin 20 head from AMS and after looking through a few threads on this forum and the Gear Page, I discovered that these were sent out with a defective speaker jack(s). This is something that Marshall has known about since at least May. There is a "repair kit" that will supplied to Marshall authorized repair stations to fix the problem that also includes a sticker that is affixed to the rear of the amp that indicates the outputs #2 and #3 should be used to run two 16 ohm cabs. Evidently, amps that do NOT have this sticker are defective. (If I am wrong about this, please correct my statement.)

In my case, getting the amp fixed (under warranty) will entail taking the amp to the nearest Marshall repair center, 35 miles from my home, and then wait for them to fix it, and then drive back and pick it up..

The issue is not causing me any problems now, but at some time I may wish to use it with two cabs, as one of the reasons I bought a head is for flexibility in using speakers, or I may wish to sell the amp at some point. The other thing is I may not have discovered this and not found out until I was in a situation where the amp may not have worked in the way it was intended.

If I would have known about this hassle, I probably wouldn't have purchased the amp in the first place and looked for one that would have worked right out of the box.

When I called AMS customer support, I was referred to call Marshall customer service and they would "take care of me". When I did this, they knew right what I was talking about, gave me the telephone number of a couple service centers and explained that if the center didn't know what I was talking about to just tell them to contact Marshall and they would explain it to them and get them the parts and the sticker. I've called the local repair center and left a message for them to call me back, so I could find out what sort of turn around time I should expect.

The thing is, I like the amp and want to keep it.

Last edited:

dro

Reaction score
Know what you mean: Myself, I'm just running the cabs in tandem, then to one 8 ohm jack. Run my OR-15 the same way

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
The retailer you boightbit from really should be the ones 'looking after You they've sold you a product with a defect, you could take them to court if they refuse to resolve the situation, it's not your error, at all....

I have one, I've waited 6 months for it to arrive, i had thought it was because they were working to fix them as they came in, and that the new shipments with it corrected would be sent to those waiting..... no, same problem, and now it must go back to Marshall to fix it.... trouble is they've been supposed to collect it for the past 3 days.... anyway, it's not my fault, I've done nothing wrong, I've paid good money for a product, I want it to be Right, they are paying shippment a d transport... no way I'm going out anywhere looking for a bloody repair shop, they can sub the delivery cost, or stop selling defective products until they are fixed! ?

fauxsuper

Reaction score
I've had mine since Saturday and it was shipped last Thursday. To be fair, I've contacted the Customer Service department at AMS, and told them I was waiting to hear back from the service center. If I don't hear from the repair center by Monday, I told them I'd like to try another method to get it working correctly, or another one.

It would be interesting to find out if all the Origin 20's and 50's were constructed this way. Does anyone have one that doesn't have this problem, at least one that hasn't been "fixed"? I would suppose that plenty of people have them and have no idea.

I could easily see this spiral out of control and become a public relations nightmare. I really like the amp itself, so I hope that doesn't happen.

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I purchased my Origin 50h on July 12th, usually Sweetwater ships the same day, but I knew something was up when I didn’t get a shipping confirmation. The next day I got a call from my sales engineer that said they had passed it along to their techs to perform this mysterious speaker jack fix and I’d have it after they were done. Two days later the amp arrived with a new sticker over the speaker jacks, I tried with two cabs and they indeed fixed it, although I have no clue what they replaced.

Last edited:

Tom99SS

Reaction score
I purchased my Origin 50h on July 12th, usually Sweetwater ships the same day, but I knew something was up when I didn’t get a shipping confirmation. The next day I got a call from my sales engineer that said they had passed it along to their techs to perform this mysterious speak jack fix and I’d have it after they were done. Two days later the amp arrived with a new sticker over the speaker jacks, I tried with two cabs and they indeed fixed it, although I have no clue what they replaced.

Sweetwater did the same for me. When I talked to my Sales Engineer I told him to have them check out the amp to ensure 2 16-ohm cabs would work. Sure enough my Origin 50H has the label on back next to the speaker outputs and it indeed works with the 2 16-ohm cabs. Whatever Sweetwater techs did it sure does work. Fantastic. With a 1960ax and 1960bx cabs the head sounds great.

fauxsuper

Reaction score
A further complication. The local service center's turn around time is five weeks. I'm returning the amp.

Kutt

Reaction score
Smart on returning it. Wait at least 6 months for the corrected builds to start shipping, then re-buy it. And make sure AMS or whoever ya'll buy it from eats the return shipping too.

My .02

fauxsuper

Reaction score
I think that's probably good advice. I have a couple other amps I can use, and AMS is paying for return shipping......

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
I got my pre order from Sweetwater and it had the issue. I sent it back and they got a new shipment and it took a few extra days and I got one with the sticker; leading me to think Sweetwater did the repair, added the sticker, and shipped.

Long story short: I am keeping this one; and bought another Friedman cab to go with!

Origin 50h sounds killer; Sweetwater did a great job handling Marshall's mess, so now I just need more time to play!

c6a13Kih.jpg

Used these replacement feet for amp head:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-A...abinet-Feet-Set-of-4-Full-1-High/380840197592

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Sending mine back too, FINALLY got it, speakers issue dammit! X(

Right, so they're picking it up... been trying to pick it up for the past week... supposed to be today... we'll see, then we'll see how long until we get it back, then we're practicing for next year's shows! Content will be incoming soon, I hope!! XD

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a Origin 20C with the same problem here in Sweden.

I talked to the store an they will send it to service rep. in Sweden.

jmjohnson

Reaction score
Its a tough issue - i was in my favorite store last night and the heads I checked out that they were selling (the 20) had the original 8ohm markings, and were still for sale - so they are not being pro-active about the issue.

I did try the Origin 5C briefly - it sounded nice, but was comparatively a clean 1-trick pony to what I was after. Likely would be awesome with pedals though!

eastsidecincy

Reaction score
Hmm...hope no other problems arise...that is why I haven't bought an Origin...yet..:dude:

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
I'm not at all worried about versatility with the origin series at all.... 1 channel, nice cleans up to a crunchy grit, I can get a ton tones just from that and 1 guitar with 2 pups.... no one trick pony here, it has the luxury of a basic eq on this as well :-O... thats a novelty to me, I have 2 other amps that have a 'tone' control, that's my eq, turn it up and this becomes redundant, but still have 2 pickups, 2 volumes and 2 tone pots on me guitar, that's at least 4 more tones... easy peasy this guitary malarkey!! XD

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Sorry 6, plus I can have both humbuckers together too.... so 9..... I can coil split also, but I rarely use that.... it's just f'in mad what you can do with just your guitar and the way you play.... :-D

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Now add a couple of pedals...... different speakers, valves, caps and so on and so on!!!