Marshall Origin 20H - which speaker connecton slot to use to connect 2x12 cab

• Thread starter jajo
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

jajo

Reaction score
Hello All,

Seems obvious but not really given how the slots on the head are marked. Please can anyone advise which speaker connection slot should I use to connect a dedicated Origin 2x12 speaker cab. It has two Celestion Seventy 80 speakers, 16ohm 80W each. The cab is 8ohm though. It's a bit confusing then. The amp works when the cab is connected to the middle one as well as the one on the right (see the picture). I was just wondering which is the correct one and if there are any implications of using one over another. Thanks

Attachments

• Zrzut ekranu 2023-01-25 160746.jpg
    Zrzut ekranu 2023-01-25 160746.jpg
    73.1 KB · Views: 16

Edgar Frog

Reaction score
The middle one with 8ohm directly below it is the dedicated single 8 ohm tap on the Origin.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
When 2 16 ohm speakers are wired in parallel you get 8 ohms, so the 8 ohm tap is what you want.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Long story short : middle one.
If that's an actual pic of your amp, it has the "fix" sticker, so either factory or service center repair of the 1st gen Origin speaker jacks.
I think the fix actually hard wired the two 8 ohm jacks to parallel, but just use the middle one unless you're running a pair of 16 ohm cabs.

jajo

Reaction score
Thanks all. I will use the middle one then. It seems there is slightly more high end when connected to the middle one which is actually not that pleasant. But I guess that's because of the Seventy 80 speakers which have that "piercy" sound that I am not really a big fan of.

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks all. I will use the middle one then. It seems there is slightly more high end when connected to the middle one which is actually not that pleasant. But I guess that's because of the Seventy 80 speakers which have that "piercy" sound that I am not really a big fan of.
That "piercy" high end goes away over time with the Seventy/80's, as you replace them with greenbacks... :rofl: