Marshall Origin 50

• Thread starter J.LaGrassa
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

J.LaGrassa

Reaction score
So I bought a used Boss SD-1W (Wazacraft) OD pedal I'm going to try something different and see if I can use the amp in a more natural way. Get a good crunch tone from the amp and push it with the SD-1W for more gain, it will definitely simplify my setup and if not it should make a good gain boost for the Smallbox OD.

Last edited:

iron broadsword

Reaction score
no mods, some distortion pedals

Love it, what pedal(s) was that and how are you running it? And is that the stock midnight 60?

I'm building a dual preamp pedal right now to run into the fx loop return of the origin 50c to get some more metal tones out of it. Basically the front end of a dual recto and the front end of an old fender for cleans.. It should bang

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As much as I like the Origin 50 I decided to part ways with the O50 I just dont need that much power, going back to the Origin 20 Head. GC has them on Clearence for $386 not sure if Marshall will be discontinuing these soon but wanted to grab a new one at that price.
Get the 20, keep the 50. :yesway:
I have both, and they are both great amps for different reasons.

qautomat

Reaction score
Love it, what pedal(s) was that and how are you running it? And is that the stock midnight 60?

I'm building a dual preamp pedal right now to run into the fx loop return of the origin 50c to get some more metal tones out of it. Basically the front end of a dual recto and the front end of an old fender for cleans.. It should bang
yes, it's stock, BOSS HM-2(clone) into BOSS MT-2, like in this video and IR cab sim

Last edited:

Bilko-G

Reaction score
Hi folks, hope you’re all doing well out there.
I finally got my Origin 50 Head……
I love the amp, but I really want to try out some different valves in it, from what I’ve read the stock valves are re-branded JJ’s?
Looking for some advice from anyone who has changed the valves in their Origin 50 head, What did you go for?
How do they sound?
I’m no expert on valves so any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated,
I’m in the UK and they’re are a couple of Valve suppliers here, I’m looking at HARMA Retro, JJ’s, Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Svetlana, the usual suspects at this price point. They’re are more expensive valves out there, I am on a budget, but I’d pay for quality. As I’ve mentioned I’m no expert so any thoughts, experience, advice, really would be appreciated
I play indie/rock use a Les Paul, sound wise I have a varied palette, but mainly plain old Marshall rock sound, I’m not a metal player, I’m kinda The Rolling Stones/The Who through to (Achtung,Zooropa era U2/Oasis and a lot of bands In between
I set my amp using the gain and master volume so the sound is just starting to breakup, and I have a few different Overdrive pedals , 1 always on and another to push the amp to a dirtier sound and then a spark boost, the large one, when I need a boost for solos.
Current set up is a Strymon Sunset Duel overdrive, stage 1, Ge drive is always on then into the B of the Strymon set to Hard, used occasionally and finally into the TC Spark with a little extra gain and volume for solo parts when I need to push through the mix, my band plays our own songs and we’re pretty loud 😁
Cheers
Billy

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I love the amp, but I really want to try out some different valves in it, from what I’ve read the stock valves are re-branded JJ’s?
Looking for some advice from anyone who has changed the valves in their Origin 50 head, What did you go for?
How do they sound?
I’m no expert on valves so any suggestions and advice would be greatly appreciated,
I’m in the UK and they’re are a couple of Valve suppliers here, I’m looking at HARMA Retro, JJ’s, Sovtek, Electro Harmonix, Svetlana, the usual suspects at this price point. They’re are more expensive valves out there, I am on a budget, but I’d pay for quality. As I’ve mentioned I’m no expert so any thoughts, experience, advice, really would be appreciated
I play indie/rock use a Les Paul, sound wise I have a varied palette, but mainly plain old Marshall rock sound, I’m not a metal player, I’m kinda The Rolling Stones/The Who through to (Achtung,Zooropa era U2/Oasis and a lot of bands In between
I set my amp using the gain and master volume so the sound is just starting to breakup, and I have a few different Overdrive pedals , 1 always on and another to push the amp to a dirtier sound and then a spark boost, the large one, when I need a boost for solos.
Current set up is a Strymon Sunset Duel overdrive, stage 1, Ge drive is always on then into the B of the Strymon set to Hard, used occasionally and finally into the TC Spark with a little extra gain and volume for solo parts when I need to push through the mix, my band plays our own songs and we’re pretty loud 😁
Cheers
Billy
Try Langrex. They are right here in the U.K. lots of different types of valves including some good NOS stuff if you are feeling flush.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How do they sound?
Cheers
Billy
Power tubes:

Preamps:

Last edited:

Bilko-G

Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on the tubes guys 👍🏻
Now I have another question…….
I’ve been doing a bit of YouTube’ing and googling and I’ve read that you don’t need to re-bias the power tubes, just fit a matched pair and you’re good to go.
Other people say you do have to re-bias….
There is a video with a guy showing the bias adjustment pot ……..I’ll put a link in , are the heads different from the combos in this respect? I have the 50 watt head, or have Marshall changed the PCB on newer versions? It’s all a bit confusing to me …..

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips on the tubes guys 👍🏻
Now I have another question…….
I’ve been doing a bit of YouTube’ing and googling and I’ve read that you don’t need to re-bias the power tubes, just fit a matched pair and you’re good to go.
Other people say you do have to re-bias….
There is a video with a guy showing the bias adjustment pot ……..I’ll put a link in , are the heads different from the combos in this respect? I have the 50 watt head, or have Marshall changed the PCB on newer versions? It’s all a bit confusing to me …..

For an Origin50, you need to check the bias after changing power tubes.
You may need to adjust, depending on the tubes - or you may not need to.
But you should at least check and make sure they are not running too hot.
Let the tubes "burn in" for a while and check / adjust the bias again.

Heads and combos are the exact same amp, other than the front & back panel orientation.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Fitz already answered.

I check bias even when i get the amp just to see where its at and stability, no drift. Definitely during a tube change.

The 20 watters are cathode biased and those you can pop in without a bias.