Marshall Origin Series Amplifiers

Reaction score
I alway like their videos I imagine the origin sounds more like this, I have to try one. Though most vids sound kind of bad to me.

It helps that he's using a Royer ribbon mic mixed with a 57, it gives a really accurate representation of a guitar amp, when placed/mixed even just moderately well. This is a lot like what the amp sounds like new, tube/speaker changes affect it a lot.

I don't even bother with most recorded demos, because the mic, it's placement and mixing can drastically change the vibe vs what an amp sounds like in real life. That Royer is pretty awesome for an accurate "in the room" capture, the 57 is usually just used to fill in the upper mids a bit, as that's the the only weakness in the Royer, but honestly you could get buy with just some eq and no 57.

To get an idea of how useless demos can actually be, some of the most searing melt your face solos from back in the day were recorded using a small little Princeton or Champ.

Reaction score
Oh and another reason I don't bother much with demos, even a $20,000 mic will require SOME eq to correct for placement. I have little confidence in most folks making demos engineering skills, I barely trust my own! I suppose if someone made a capsule 12in big for a mic, that might not be the case and you wouldn't need ANY eq! Who knows! Hahahahaha!

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Has anyone removed the chassis on the 50h yet? If so is there a bias test point on the PCB or 1ohm resistors between cathode and ground on the power tubes sockets?

There is a picture somewhere on this forum of where the bias points were supposed to be soldered... Though they haven't actually put the 'terminals'(?) on.....

I think it may be on the gut shots thread?

Jason Fieldhouseespk

Reaction score
Oh and another reason I don't bother much with demos, even a $20,000 mic will require SOME eq to correct for placement. I have little confidence in most folks making demos engineering skills, I barely trust my own! I suppose if someone made a capsule 12in big for a mic, that might not be the case and you wouldn't need ANY eq! Who knows! Hahahahaha!

I use a 12 inch speaker cab as a sub mic on kick drum if that info is of any use to ya? :)

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The 50H is just like the 50 Combo...no bias points and it is NOT (cathode biased) meaning it needs to be biased when new POWER tubes are installed....period!

I believe this to be the bias point, seems like Marshall didn’t finish the job

Attachments

• C3356768-ED58-4E39-A5D5-99A5D7E89CB9.jpeg
    C3356768-ED58-4E39-A5D5-99A5D7E89CB9.jpeg
    87.4 KB · Views: 29

ColonelForbin

Reaction score
Got my replacement 50h from Sweetwater today! Seems all good; has the new sticker over speaker jack area making me think was repaired in house by Sweetwater. All good with me if it works right! And guessing it will..

Here's what that sticker overlay looks like:

zCRKiUyh.jpg

PrTmbs3h.jpg

Reaction score
Played mine tonight and does that 800.00 amp sound ass kicking mother phucking dam good. I played my MKII before I played it and it was right there....dam. What a great vintage sounding new Marshall amp!!!!!

I asked you in the other thread we were talking in, but maybe you missed it, you said you're running Millard RI EL34s, but have you swapped the preamp tubes at all? Curious, I may try the Mullard34s, but so far the ax7s that came with it seem best suited for the amp. I have a modest collection, but I even went back after trying some of my old Millard ecc83s! I only have three left, and one of them is starting to sound thin with a slightly unpleasant midrange bump...

MarshallDog

Reaction score
I asked you in the other thread we were talking in, but maybe you missed it, you said you're running Millard RI EL34s, but have you swapped the preamp tubes at all? Curious, I may try the Mullard34s, but so far the ax7s that came with it seem best suited for the amp. I have a modest collection, but I even went back after trying some of my old Millard ecc83s! I only have three left, and one of them is starting to sound thin with a slightly unpleasant midrange bump...

Sorry about that...yes running The Tube Store 7025 Preferred Series tubes and I did put a G12M-65 Creamback in it. Tonal Bliss IMO!

Reaction score
Sorry about that...yes running The Tube Store 7025 Preferred Series tubes and I did put a G12M-65 Creamback in it. Tonal Bliss IMO!

No problem at all.

I'm using a Celestion Gold myself in an Avatar 1x12 open back cab, the "vintage" model if I remember correctly. I got hooked on alnico speakers, it's a problem...$$$

jericbrazier

Reaction score
You have a point. Marshall is doing it again...creating too many lines.

It makes me wonder if they are taking what they learned from Steve D ( the Vintage modern, the astoria, and the class 5) and just repacking it all.

I suspect it will be another haze. No one will be raving over these. Friedman's beat them to it (and sounds better). They don't sound bad but don't sound great either. Maybe they just need the right speakers and guitarist.

The tilt seems suspiciously like the ISF on blackstar amps. Would be ironic if they took that back from Blackstar.
This amp sells for exponentially less than a Friedman too. I think Marshall’s trying to give people what they’ve been asking for; an inexpensive single channel, vintage voiced at a price most people can afford.
I seem to remember people complaining Marshall didn’t have enough lines. They only have 4, that I’m aware of; RI’s, DSL’s, Code, JVM, and Origin. Astoria is gone.
I’m not willing to to pay 3k+ for a mass produced combo, but different strokes...I have a ‘15 dsl40c, and I don’t have any need. I can dial in the dsl to sound similar to an Origin, but the dsl does so much more tonally than the Origin.
People seem to be digging them, but we’ll see how many Origins are on Reverb in 2 years.

Last edited:

jericbrazier

Reaction score
Why would I give a shit if you or anyone else has one? You having one has no influence on what I'm trying to say. My comment was in response to your comment about the asian made parts. The Jubilee reissue might technically be "made in England", but one look inside screams Asian electronics....Sony guts!

And for what it's worth, it doesn't matter to me. If an amp works well and sounds good I couldn't care less who made it or where.
Completely! They only produce tubes in China and Russia, so there goes made in England. The Jube is assembled in the UK, but the lions share of its components come from Asia. Same with “made in USA” amps. They’re assembled here, and if you look closely they won’t say made in USA. They’ll use euphemisms like assembled in, produced in, etc. To legally label a product made in the USA; over 90% of all components must be produced in the USA. Handmade boutique amps even use Asian parts because that’s the only place to procure them.

K2JLX

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yep. I spoke to Marshall. These are the bias points. I have used them to bias the amp. I was thinking of soldering pins to them to make it easier .

Nice. Solves that mystery then, I wonder why Marshall didn’t bother soldering two pins in the first place, after all they went to the effort of putting in the bias adjustment pot.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Nice. Solves that mystery then, I wonder why Marshall didn’t bother soldering two pins in the first place, after all they went to the effort of putting in the bias adjustment pot.

They wanted to save 10 cents!

ShawnShal

Reaction score
Got my replacement 50h from Sweetwater today! Seems all good; has the new sticker over speaker jack area making me think was repaired in house by Sweetwater. All good with me if it works right! And guessing it will..

Here's what that sticker overlay looks like:

zCRKiUyh.jpg

PrTmbs3h.jpg
so do you know if SW repaired it or did they get a new batch from Marshall ? I'm dealing with MF I told them about the sticker, they are going to check and get back to me. Thks.