Marshall Origin50H Fx loop help

• Thread starter wylderubicon
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

wylderubicon

Reaction score
Hi All, does the FX sucks on this amp on just my amp or by design? I love this amp. great tone and takes overdrive pedals really well. but any delay or reverb pedal I put in the fx loop sounds terrible. lets talk reverb in particular. I've tried Holy grail, Boss RV5, Boss RV6, and few others. It sounds so boomy and whoolie that its unusable, even at the minimal setting on pedals. I run my amp with the master maxed out and the gain to taste. when I run it clean, reverb sounds great. as soon as I push it with gain or overdrive pedal, the reverb is all over the place. sort of as if I put the reverb pedal before the overdrive pedals on my board. I just need a touch of reverb to color and fill my sound. It is almost as if the fx loop is not post pregain stage on the amp. too much signal going through it or something. Not very stable.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi All, does the FX sucks on this amp on just my amp or by design? I love this amp. great tone and takes overdrive pedals really well. but any delay or reverb pedal I put in the fx loop sounds terrible. lets talk reverb in particular. I've tried Holy grail, Boss RV5, Boss RV6, and few others. It sounds so boomy and whoolie that its unusable, even at the minimal setting on pedals. I run my amp with the master maxed out and the gain to taste. when I run it clean, reverb sounds great. as soon as I push it with gain or overdrive pedal, the reverb is all over the place. sort of as if I put the reverb pedal before the overdrive pedals on my board. I just need a touch of reverb to color and fill my sound. It is almost as if the fx loop is not post pregain stage on the amp. too much signal going through it or something. Not very stable.
I have the 20, not the 50.
Yes - master volume increases loop signal strength.
The master cranked, gain for volume thing is one way to get native amp overdrive tones, but it doesn't mix well with TBE in the loop, or with heavy OD pedals out front.
If you're using pedals, try using the master volume like a master volume...
I back off reverb and chorus in the loop as I turn up the volume.

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
You run a patch cable in your fx loop and engage your pedal to turn it on and off. Do you notice a jump in tone and volume and gain structure? Whatever that is, it is inherent in the amp. FX loops can be like that.

The end pedal in your FX loop chain should have volume control. If not, then you can't control the volume of the loop.

Fitz has given you more ideas.

I use a Talisman plate reverb because it has additional controls over the low-end and trails. However I think your problem might be just hitting the limits of the amp.

Timo V

Reaction score
The FX-loop works perfectly fine. You say you run your amp master volume maxed out, i take it you are aiming for power stage distortion. You need to understand that you can't push power amp to distort without distorting EVERYTHING you feed into it. Doing that, time based effects (reverbs and delays) will be squashed, there's NO two way around it. I'm sorry to bear bad news😔.

Last edited:

wylderubicon

Reaction score
The FX-loop works perfectly fine. You say you run your amp master volume maxed out, i take it you are aiming for power stage distortion. You need to understand that you can't push power amp to distort without distorting EVERYTHING you feed into it. Doing that, time based effects (reverbs and delays) will be squashed, there's NO two way around it. I'm sorry to bear bad news😔.
Interesting!!! Never thought of it like that. I suppose i will take power tube saturation over reverb. On my marshall sl5c, it has a built in reverb and I don’t have the same issue with the built in reverb. I also run it maxed out… any way to work around my situation?

wylderubicon

Reaction score
You run a patch cable in your fx loop and engage your pedal to turn it on and off. Do you notice a jump in tone and volume and gain structure? Whatever that is, it is inherent in the amp. FX loops can be like that.

The end pedal in your FX loop chain should have volume control. If not, then you can't control the volume of the loop.

Fitz has given you more ideas.

I use a Talisman plate reverb because it has additional controls over the low-end and trails. However I think your problem might be just hitting the limits of the amp.
No jump when running just a patch. Eq pedal works great in the loop. I don’t use the boost on the amp

wylderubicon

Reaction score
This amp sounds best to me when master maxed out. Drive to the edge of breakup. I use a wampler tumnus as always on for my base tone(zero gain, level and tone at noon) this give the amp a dynamic rich tone. I then either push it with SD1 or BD2 for gain/solo
I have the 20, not the 50.
Yes - master volume increases loop signal strength.
The master cranked, gain for volume thing is one way to get native amp overdrive tones, but it doesn't mix well with TBE in the loop, or with heavy OD pedals out front.
If you're using pedals, try using the master volume like a master volume...
I back off reverb and chorus in the loop as I turn up the volume.
s s

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
This amp sounds best to me when master maxed out. Drive to the edge of breakup. I use a wampler tumnus as always on for my base tone(zero gain, level and tone at noon) this give the amp a dynamic rich tone. I then either push it with SD1 or BD2 for gain/solo
Um... so, you want different results without changing anything?

Maxbrothman

Reaction score
No jump when running just a patch. Eq pedal works great in the loop. I don’t use the boost on the amp
You know the bass and treble are reversed on the Origin dials right? That has caught people out, including myself.

I don't like recommending another pedal, and I think it is just your amp limits, but I use a Talisman plate reverb because it has a high pass filter to stop mud from the lower frequencies.

wylderubicon

Reaction score
You know the bass and treble are reversed on the Origin dials right? That has caught people out, including myself.

I don't like recommending another pedal, and I think it is just your amp limits, but I use a Talisman plate reverb because it has a high pass filter to stop mud from the lower frequencies.

I will check this out , thanks