• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Polarity switch

• Thread starter Highroller54
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Highroller54

Reaction score
hello,
i have a 1972 super lead 100 watter that I need to replace one of the bat switches. Polarity is the one Ill be repalceing, does anyone know of the tool or a method to removing the external spit nut without marring the amp up.

RLW59

Reaction score

I don't know what size Marshall nuts are, but specialized split-nut drivers do exist.

RLW59

Reaction score
They'd be a bit of a pain with a 2-way switch though since the toggle would want to push the driver tube off center.

But if you're fastidious you probably want the nut slots to line up in some intentional orientation. So you pre-set the front split nut and tighten the inner nut. You'd just use a split-nut driver to hold the front nut in place -- not to turn the front nut because then the slot would end up with random orientation

If you're doing those switches 8 hours a day on an assembly line the specialized tool would be handy. But for occasional switch replacements you can just set the front nut with your finger and hold it while tightening the inner nut.

Might take 2 or 3 tries because the split nut tries to rotate while you're tightening the inner nut, but that only takes a few minutes.

mAx___

Reaction score
To replace the switch you will have to loosen the nut on the inside sooner or later. That's the correct way to deal with those dress nuts unless you have a specific tool to do that.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
remove the death cap & disconnect that switch... add a 3 prong plug, properly ground it & be safe...

just keep all the old parts for posterity & original vintage...