• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Marshall Quadruple Stack?

• Thread starter ThatMarshallGuy
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

tschrama

Reaction score
No.
Four 4x12 cabinets will generate a lower overall dB than two 4x12 cabinets.

Two 4x12 cabinets will be louder due to less distribution of power per speaker.

Four 4x12 cabinets will afford more spread when separated.

"Which benefits your application best?" is the major question.

No, not at all true. It's basic physics.

The efficiency of a speakers goes up, are the proximity effect of the an other nearby speaker raises the mechanical impedance of the air that's being pushed.

1x12 is less efficient than 4x12. Four 4x12 will be even more efficient, thus louder with the same power applied.

Moreover, four 4x12 beam !more! than a one 4x12, and at lower frequencies (the beam itself will be wider thg) . The best spread is accomplished by a narrow vertical stack. Yes indeed, like modern PA stacks you see at concerts: cool:

It is all very basic wave-propagation physics. You guys never played with lasers and slits at high school?

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Moreover, four 4x12 beam !more! than a one 4x12, and at lower frequencies (the beam itself will be wider thg) . The best spread is accomplished by a narrow vertical stack. Yes indeed, like modern PA stacks you see at concerts: cool:

It is all very basic wave-propagation physics. You guys never played with lasers and slits at high school?

You are comparing guitar cabs to full range PA speakers, which are completely different designs. PA columns incorporate horns for maximum dispersion, so the fact that a PA cab is narrow is completely irrelevant.

Dmann

Reaction score
Can someone explain to me why you all assume that because one is running multiple 4x12 cabs and 100 watt heads that it must always be cranked to a point that causes hearing dmg?

Stop listening with your eyes, you fools.

Additionally, There are a multitude of other tools used to attenuate and/or "block the beam of deaf," so this gear can be pushed into sweetness and still keep your stage volume manageable and pleasant for your front row audience.

-----------------------------

as for the OP, not all amp heads are the same. It will depend entirely on what the output transformer can handle, with the most important part being matching the impedance of the combined speaker load.

chiliphil1

Reaction score
Okay that makes sense. That's a lot of info about mixing and stage volume that I didn't know or quite understand before. Thanks guys. So my next question would be is a half stack not enough or just perfect for large venues then? Being that it would be miced up going. through the PA?

Personally I think it would be plenty. Most guys on here can vouch that the 100 watters hardly ever get over 3-4 on the volume when playing live. I've never had mine over 3 WITHOUT being mic'd. Granted I am not playing arenas or anything but I would bury the drummer at 3-4 with no problem.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
No.
Four 4x12 cabinets will generate a lower overall dB than two 4x12 cabinets.

Two 4x12 cabinets will be louder due to less distribution of power per speaker.

Four 4x12 cabinets will afford more spread when separated.

"Which benefits your application best?" is the major question.

No, not at all true. It's basic physics.

The efficiency of a speakers goes up, are the proximity effect of the an other nearby speaker raises the mechanical impedance of the air that's being pushed.

1x12 is less efficient than 4x12. Four 4x12 will be even more efficient, thus louder with the same power applied.

Yes it is true.
I did the experiment live with dB meter and my ears.

We are talking about one amplifier (not unlimited or a held power output) and then distributing power to more and more speakers. As the power is divided and distributed there is a point of maximum return on acoustic power with highest dB level. Once that threshold is passed then efficiency falls and dB levels begin to drop in the room.

Now if you want to put slits in front of a speaker you may have something.

pleximaster

Reaction score
Some old Marshalls especially PA´s had 4 speaker outputs.

plexi