Marshall SC212 Cabinet

• Thread starter Leperclown
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Leperclown

Reaction score
Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy 1 of these cabs unloaded.

However, the cab seems to be made for a 20 watt tube amp (SC20H).

I was wondering if the cab would be sturdy enough for these two scenarios:

1 - 2 x 12 Celestion Redbacks (150 watts each) as extension cab for JVM410C or for Kemper Power Rack (around 300 watts max)
and
2 - 2 x 12 Kemper Kones (200 watts each) for Kemper Power Rack (around 400 watts max)

Many thnaks in advance!

Paul

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
it should be fine...

If looking at Celestion, similarly to the Kemper speaker, look at this one:

ken Tucky

Reaction score
Hi all, I have the opportunity to buy 1 of these cabs unloaded.

However, the cab seems to be made for a 20 watt tube amp (SC20H).

I was wondering if the cab would be sturdy enough for these two scenarios:

1 - 2 x 12 Celestion Redbacks (150 watts each) as extension cab for JVM410C or for Kemper Power Rack (around 300 watts max)
and
2 - 2 x 12 Kemper Kones (200 watts each) for Kemper Power Rack (around 400 watts max)

Many thnaks in advance!

Paul
I'd hold out for a used JVMC212.

Leperclown

Reaction score
it should be fine...

If looking at Celestion, similarly to the Kemper speaker, look at this one:

DoD,
many thanks. The Celestions FRLR's get good reviews, but I already have 2 Kones.
Cheers
Paul

Leperclown

Reaction score
I'd hold out for a used JVMC212.

Hey Ken,
I have had that cab before and it's killer. However, a vertical unloaded cab suits me best as I need that configuration and I have a few spare speakers. (I also have some Celestion Neo V types that I will put in the JVCM410C to try to get the eight down - it's killing my back!).

Cheers & thanks
Paul

Leperclown

Reaction score
The cab itself doesn't care what speakers you put in it.
Hey Dirty Steve, I agree. However, I am focussing on the power that would be fed into the speakers. Given the box was made to match a lowered powered tube amp (20w) I was wondering if the construction of the box would be tough enough to handle 100 watts tube and / or 200 - 400 watts (solid state) without creaking, squeaking or falling apart.

Cheers!

Paul

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am focussing on the power that would be fed into the speakers. Given the box was made to match a lowered powered tube amp (20w) I was wondering if the construction of the box would be tough enough to handle 100 watts tube and / or 200 - 400 watts (solid state) without creaking, squeaking or falling apart.
Jack cup screws are going to be your weak link.
Maybe it's just me, but I'd love to see someone actually blow the jack cup out of the back panel with speaker pressure waves...

DirtySteve

Hold my beer!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hey Dirty Steve, I agree. However, I am focussing on the power that would be fed into the speakers. Given the box was made to match a lowered powered tube amp (20w) I was wondering if the construction of the box would be tough enough to handle 100 watts tube and / or 200 - 400 watts (solid state) without creaking, squeaking or falling apart.

Cheers!

Paul
That's what I was saying. The cab is fine no matter what you put in it. I've never heard of a cab being constructed differently to be used with higher wattage. No cab has to be used with a certain amp, you can use them with whatever amp you want and you're talking about a genuine made in the UK Marshall Ply cab. The SC cab is "dressed" to match the SC head, but that doesn't mean it was constructed to only handle a 20 watt amp, it can be used with any amp. It's the speakers you have to worry about being able to handle the wattage.

Last edited:

Mrmadd

Reaction score
Why are you trying to blow 200 watts out of such a small profile cabinet?

If you really want the Tone that kind of power ca deliver, give your amp some breathing room and use 2x12 ir even best 4x12..

Your first guess is correct questioning whether or not it will work.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. Where are you going to be playing where you need 100 watts maxed out? The cabinet originally comes with two 70 watt speakers with 140 watt rating. It would definitely take 100 watts. If I was going to be playing venues that would need 100 watts of tube power, I would get one or two 412 cabinets. If you're playing venues that big, you can afford to hire someone to carry your cabinets.

Leperclown

Reaction score
Why are you trying to blow 200 watts out of such a small profile cabinet?

If you really want the Tone that kind of power ca deliver, give your amp some breathing room and use 2x12 ir even best 4x12..

Your first guess is correct questioning whether or not it will work.
Hey Mrmadd,
the primary purpose of the cab would be to run a Kemper power rack (600watts) through it, with 2x 200watt Kones. I've noticed with the Kemper, you have to lean on the volume for it to cut through.

While I like the form factor, I am starting to think the SC 212 is not suitable.

Cheers & thanks
Paul

Leperclown

Reaction score
That's what I was wondering. Where are you going to be playing where you need 100 watts maxed out? The cabinet originally comes with two 70 watt speakers with 140 watt rating. It would definitely take 100 watts. If I was going to be playing venues that would need 100 watts of tube power, I would get one or two 412 cabinets. If you're playing venues that big, you can afford to hire someone to carry your cabinets.
Absolutely right about the need (or lack of!) for 100watts (tube) maxed out. Unfortunately, in the past, I have have cabs rated at high wattages that started squeaking at lower volumes.

Mrmadd

Reaction score
I have reached my favorite tones from a 1960A cab.
Something about the size and the fit for the drivers, the tone is just complete.

No fun to carry places.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
I have reached my favorite tones from a 1960A cab.
Something about the size and the fit for the drivers, the tone is just complete.

No fun to carry places.
I've used the 1960A for years and it's my favorite also. Like you said, not fun to carry around at my older age but I don't play venues that need big watts and 412 cabinets anymore. I have ordered the 1936 2x12 version of the 1960A. I also have on backorder the 1960B, ST212 and 2536A cabinets. I recently received the SC212 cabinet that I'm breaking in. I have been using the Marshall Studio amps lately and have a HeadRush modeler and FRFR speaker I use.