Marshall SLX Video Test

• Thread starter 8bit Barry
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Feeling slightly self conscious, last night I recorded my recent purchase, a Marshall SLX / Tokai USG-P90, using a multi camera setup. How does this high gain one sound?

I’m thinking about resurrecting ‘Proper Way 2 Play’, a defunct YouTube channel I made nearly ten years ago; I made two lessons, gave up, but they’ve had a lot of hits (50k)

I’m thinking about starting out an advice channel for no particular reason (especially financial!), other than sharing the knowledge. It will be based on the equipment I own and what I know musically in the hope someone might find them useful. There will be a large Marshall amplifier contingency as I have a few!

There has to be a top quality sound, good demonstration, but always constructive advice. I’m going to use everything I play, from indie jangle like The Smiths, to rock to heavy metal examples like Slayer. I want to concentrate on the truth behind playing the kit, how it can be used, as I don’t have enough technical knowledge like many of you guys here.

I have been writing out episode ideas, and I think the next step to make a proper pilot episode. I’m
thinking about episodes on my Marshall amps, Selmer, Simms Watts, Watkins, Fender… pedals (I love my evil Shin-Ei / EHX), cheaper guitars, being clever with your money etc.

Tell me anything you think should be avoided, that you hate seeing, that you would like to see more of? No promo boredom, stupid lights… waffle.

Deftone

Reaction score
Great playing, tone and video. That SL-X sounds great, maybe do a vid on that?

I like the editing, lots of different views keeps things interesting. Things to avoid? Lengthy intros and explanations. Keep it concise and to the point. Just go for it....

Good luck.

8bit Barry

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Great playing, tone and video. That SL-X sounds great, maybe do a vid on that?
High on my list. It’s got a lot of signature aspects that cross over with the 2204 for example, but that and it’s own strengths.

I’m thinking audio examples straight in, then conversation and more examples, all no longer than 10mins.

Deftone

Reaction score
High on my list. It’s got a lot of signature aspects that cross over with the 2204 for example, but that and it’s own strengths.

I’m thinking audio examples straight in, then conversation and more examples, all no longer than 10mins.
I like vids that are short and to the point myself. Short attention span.

My '90 JCM800 2204 EL34 and my SL-X 5881 are hooked up in stereo right now. I A/B them and the SL-X is darker, like minor chords....more '90's metal to my ears. The 800 is brighter, more '80's metal. They both sound killer but the pair of them in stereo is absolutely devastating, IMHO.

Tatzmann

Reaction score
What i absolutely hate when i'm looking for demonstrations of ampheads is when the title says something like "1973 Marshall blablabla with Les Paul". Then open the video only to find that there is an SD-1, EQ Pedal or any other tonealternator infront of it.

Usually i sniff out beforehand if its a staight in vid or not just by looking at the prepicture or channelname, but not all the time. I instantly close the vid followed by a little cursing if there is anything other than a player, a Marshall with a cab (realcab at best) and a Les Paul in the vid.

If an amp is demoed i like to see when it gets played from clean to mean as i myself do play my amps atleast half the time on squeaky clean to slightly dirty bluesy setting.

This vid is straight to the point and shows the whole preamp-spectrum at moderate volume:

If i want a pedaldemo, i search for a pedaldemo.

You seem to have good and tasty stuff around, lots of vids could be done. I'm pondering doing a channel myself from time to time, but probably won't happen.

I'd say go 4 it.

Last edited:

superfifty

Reaction score
Great video, I loved my SL-X, now have a MKIII. I think people love the vs. videos, always see to gather great attention, people always want to see good comparison videos of ams, like SL-X vs MKIII etc. Good luck

Deftone

Reaction score
I'll add...I like vids that have the time breakdowns, so you can jump ahead to the next part or go back to another part. If you're comparing stuff, I like it when they play a short bit then switch.....don't play for 5 minutes and then switch, by that time I have already forgotten what the other amp/pedal/speaker, etc... sounded like. YMMV

This vid is straight to the point and shows the whole preamp-spectrum at moderate volume:

I like this demo but I'd like to be able to see what the amp settings are. I think it's pretty cool when they show a small PIP in the corner that's focused on the amp settings...or when they switch channels, turn on a pedal, etc... And be sure to list the whole signal chain somewhere.

V-man

Reaction score
You definitely have some slick tools at your fingertips for production.

Here is my guide for content creators below for you consider or dismiss if you are interested…

My gripe about videos is information management.

There might be important info to pass whose absence confuses the mission/video, but the key is know EXACTLY what to say… say it SUCCINCTLY as possible, and GTFO of the shot immediately for the plot (gear zooms, demos, shootouts).

Live streams get a pass, but if there is an edited, produced video purporting to demo, review (or worst of all) shoot out gear that has more than 1:30 of verbal intro, that guy fucked up. What does a job application with poor grammar and typos tell an employer? The same thing a creator’s 3-5 min verbal off-the-cuff intro tells the audience… unprofessional and unqualified: move on or review with unfavorable bias against him.

Shootouts. STFU entirely and seamlessly/instantaneously transition between 2 products. 8 seconds of dead air resets a lot in the brain, much less 00:30-01:45 of droning about what you thought between products.

The Key IMO, is USE YOUR WORDS EFFECTIVELY. Lines, even paragraphs of texts can be edited into the video to convey thoughts/points while uninterrupted sound is playing, making for shorter videos with = or > info packed within.

Creators’ “in-the-room” impressions are valuable, but they need to let the audience participate FIRST in the most clear, transition-free presentation of sound, features, before engaging in 02:00-10:00 lectures of their impressions.

- 01:00 intro

- Immediate demo (text prompt of signal chain/settings only, no verbal)

- Seamless (edited) transition to next piece of gear/next setting -No disconnecting/reconnecting fuckery

- Brief, succinct verbal impressions AFTER both/all things were played back-to-back

- Verbal conclusion of choice. I think we will play along with and respect a creator’s thoughts and impressions after we were given a good presentation to try judging ourselves.

anitoli

Reaction score
Maybe this: Approach the gear correctly. Seen too many reviews where the dude has a multi channel high gain amp and he's got the gain on 1 and is playing Chuck Berry riffs trying to show it's bluesy potential. Hate to say it but if i want blues tone i wont be buying a HIGH GAIN AMP!!!! Show what the amp was intended for not just the tones you prefer or suits your ability. If you can't play metal get a guy in there that can.

When i say "you" i don't mean you directly it's just generalized grammar.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I like videos with nothing in front and no effects or post production.like Tatzmann said...Just uncolored amp sound.
If it’s billed as an “amp review”, I prefer to see/hear the amp alone for 90% of the video. I want hear how the amp sound and what it can do on its own.

After that,… adding an od pedal or two for a minute or two to show how it takes pedals is fine,… and that’s it, done.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I agree, doing amp demos where it's straight to the amp, nothing in between the guitar and the amp but a straight cord, is something people want to see and hear. Of course, also demo it with more of a signal chain, too, but there's value in showing people what to expect when they go buy a Marshall SLP reissue at a pawn shop and get it home...and expect heavy metal tones right out of it. That can be disappointing. Far better to have videos that show you what to really expect.

I will say that when I got my first 1959, I didn't realize how clean it would actually be at reasonable volume levels. I'd have bought it anyway. But my expectations and reality were two different things. Seeing the right youtube video demo of a stock 1959 might have managed my expectations better.