Marshall Studio 15/Marshall G12 Vintage Replacement

• Thread starter petes4010
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

petes4010

Reaction score
Just acquired a Studio 15! New tubes and and a Mercury Magnetics output transformer have made a significant difference so far, but I’m still unenthusiastic about the original G12.

To my ears it’s too bassy/boxy sounding, and while some have attributed that to the cabinet design, I’m wondering if there is something better out there?

I also feel like this speaker really requires the master being cranked in order for the speaker to sing, and doesn’t really excentuate higher gain sounds the way I want it too, especially at lower volumes.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just acquired a Studio 15! New tubes and and a Mercury Magnetics output transformer have made a significant difference so far, but I’m still unenthusiastic about the original G12.

To my ears it’s too bassy/boxy sounding, and while some have attributed that to the cabinet design, I’m wondering if there is something better out there?

I also feel like this speaker really requires the master being cranked in order for the speaker to sing, and doesn’t really excentuate higher gain sounds the way I want it too, especially at lower volumes.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!
G12M-25 should be a little brighter and break up at lower volume.

Vox Martialis

Reaction score
I put a Cele Blue in my mine, sounds great for my purposes and is suuposedly the speaker it was designed for, but maybe not the ticket for high gain at low volumes! Have wanted to try a Greenback (25 watt or Heritage 20 watt) as well.

Either way I’m not too stressed about lower wattage, as even the modern Blue reportedly is rated closer to 25 than it’s labeled 15. So unless you plan on diming the master volume or putting a lot of fuzz or distortion in front….

Also a great amp for silent recording, either using the built-in resistor or into a load box. Both direct outs are post power section, so run that signal through an IR loader and you’re good to go.

Latest posts