Votes: 28 38.4%
  • Other valve amp

Votes: 24 32.9%
  • New solid state amp

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
As much as I like my DSL40CR and agree with the above posts, my vote is actually for the Origin 20C. My rationale is that it has three output levels: one for home, a second for practice, and a third for gigs. True it's only one channel (with volume and gain), but I don't really like the DSL's overdrive channels, so either way, I have pedals out front for overdrive, gain, distortion, etc. The Origin is also much lighter (30 lbs) than the DSL (50 lbs). At my age, things like that matter! Noticed you did not include the DSL20CR, which gets a lot of love on this forum. That might also be an option.

tallcoolone

Reaction score
I lived in an apartment for several years while I had 6 high end tube amp heads and a Line 6 Helix through KRK studio monitors is what I used at home. At conversation volume nothing comes close to a good modeler. Guitar speakers need to breathe

purpleplexi

Reaction score
Ive been real happy with a 15w Tweed Deluxe lately, does all the tones youre talking about and sounds full. I got a multi-effects pedal for it and setup a clean, crunch and lead patch, plus footswitchable effects.

Dont get a DSL unless you like compressed tone.
It's true that a 40CR is more compressed-sounding than a lot of amps but that's partly what makes it work well at low volumes. There's enough adjustment to keep it to a minimum. If you avoid the red channel.....

Deftone

Reaction score
I’m gonna say get the bigger 40watter as I owned maybe 20 amps in the range of 1-20 watts and the day I got my jcm900 mk3 50 watt amp I never looked at another amp.
I play at home at about 90-100db and it has balls and thickness a lower output amp never had. Most of the lower wattage amps were el84 output tubes and this was my first el34 so maybe that makes a difference? I wouldn’t go small again for home use.

Just my opinion tho
I agree with this.

I recommend the Marshall 2553. It's a small box 25/50w EL34 head, with a loop. Should fit nicely on top of a 2061 style oversized 2x12. It will give you the low end but not push as much air and take up as much space as a 4x12.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It's true that a 40CR is more compressed-sounding than a lot of amps but that's partly what makes it work well at low volumes. There's enough adjustment to keep it to a minimum. If you avoid the red channel.....
Besides changing out preamp tubes to lessen some of the compression, keeping the bass on the low side, (works in both channels), also lessens the compression some.

Also an eq pedal in the loop can do great things for the tone and compression of a Dsl.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
You gotta like the tone if youre gonna own a DSL, I for one dont. Its too compressed which I dont find in classic Marshalls i.e. 2204, 1959

ITburst

Reaction score
Solid. I have never played one but every demo I hear the DSL20 sounds fantastic and they are a bargain. I wouldn't say no to one.
At the price that they sell for it’s a great amp. Mind you I did just swap out the stock speakers in the MX212 slant cab. That improves it even more.

ITburst

Reaction score
I put a G12M-65 Creamback in the top and a G12M-25 Greenback in the bottom. Greenback has 1 db over the Cream so I thought it sounded better at the bottom. I had it the other way at first but found the Greenback over powered the tone ever so slightly.
I’m really happy with it now, and it’s not even broken in yet.

Derek S

Reaction score
So many options for whisper level playing these days. If you must go "Marshall" hardware, the DSL line is solid as everyone pointed out. I have a DSL15w head running into a 2x12 cab for "medium" vol goofing off and that rocks well enough for posing in the mirror and pissing off pets. It takes pedals well and is actually pretty easy to mod if you're handy. I've personally never cared for the DSL's gain however and just use its green channel + drive pedals. When I'm recording I more about the Axe FX III or a 100w head into 4x12 cabs (in a sound treated space obviously).

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I put a G12M-65 Creamback in the top and a G12M-25 Greenback in the bottom. Greenback has 1 db over the Cream so I thought it sounded better at the bottom. I had it the other way at first but found the Greenback over powered the tone ever so slightly.
I’m really happy with it now, and it’s not even broken in yet.
Oh, so I see you took my suggestions of those two speakers, @ITburst. And in those positions too, Greenback bottom, Creamback top, (mainly because of the 1 db sensitivity difference).

It seems to be working out well for you, glad I was able to help.

As I told you, I have been using virtually the same speaker setup for quite a while now. Same speakers, same positioning, only difference is I’m using two 1-12 cabs instead of one 2-12 cab.

I think these two speakers compliment each other nicely, they do not sound the same. I experimented with each 1-12 cab separately, one cab at a time, to really compare the two speakers side by side.

That way I could easily hear the qualities of each speaker independently, which helps deciding top or bottom for each speaker.

Great little rig bro, maybe @MrFledermaus should consider a Dsl20 too.

ITburst

Reaction score
Oh, so I see you took my suggestions of those two speakers, @ITburst. And in those positions too, Greenback bottom, Creamback top, (mainly because of the 1 db sensitivity difference).

It seems to be working out well for you, glad I was able to help.

As I told you, I have been using virtually the same speaker setup for quite a while now. Same speakers, same positioning, only difference is I’m using two 1-12 cabs instead of one 2-12 cab.

I think these two speakers compliment each other nicely, they do not sound the same. I experimented with each 1-12 cab separately, one cab at a time, to really compare the two speakers side by side.

That way I could easily hear the qualities of each speaker independently, which helps deciding top or bottom for each speaker.

Great little rig bro, maybe @MrFledermaus should consider a Dsl20 too.
Cheers to that! Yes it’s worked out nicely indeed. Thanks for the suggestion and to everyone else’s input also.

MrFledermaus

Reaction score
Thank you all, great advices. I think I have narrowed it down to DSL5CR and DSL40CR.
The reason I am not really considering DSL20CR is that I think it would not be much quieter than DSL40CR and does not have master volume control, so most likely it is even going to be even less tameable than its bigger brother. Otherwise, DSL20CR would have been ideal with its 12-inch speaker and lower weight.
I guess the only things that are leaning me towards the 5-watter instead of 40-watter are the weight (13kg / 28lbs vs 22kg / 50lbs!) and 40 watts still being an overkill for an apartment.

Funny how I have asked ChatGPT the same questions and here is what it has come up with :applause::

Q: Best tube Marshall amp for apartment playing (90-100db) under $1,000? Music style: Led Zeppelin, Cream, etc.
A: The Marshall DSL40C is a great option for apartment playing at a volume of 90-100db. It is a 40-watt all-tube amp that has a switchable power output, so you can drop the wattage down to 20 watts for quieter playing. It is also equipped with two channels (clean and overdrive) and a variety of tone shaping options, making it versatile enough for playing the type of music you mentioned (Led Zeppelin, Cream, etc.). The price is also under $1000.

Q: What about DSL5CR and DSL20CR?
A: The Marshall DSL5CR and DSL20CR are also good options for apartment playing at a volume of 90-100db.

The DSL5CR is a 5-watt all-tube amp that has a switchable power output, so you can drop the wattage down to 1 watt for even quieter playing. It has two channels (clean and overdrive) and a variety of tone shaping options, making it versatile enough for playing the type of music you mentioned.

The DSL20CR is a 20-watt all-tube amp that has two channels (clean and overdrive) and a variety of tone shaping options, making it versatile enough for playing the type of music you mentioned. Both of them are more compact and portable than DSL40C and also under $1000, but the trade-off is less power output.

Q: Which would you pick for apartment playing?
A: It depends on your personal preference and the specific requirements you have for your apartment playing setup.

The Marshall DSL5CR is the most compact and portable option, and it has the added benefit of being able to drop the wattage down to 1 watt for even quieter playing. This makes it ideal for those who have limited space and want to play at very low volumes.

The Marshall DSL20CR is also a good option for apartment playing and it offers more power output than DSL5CR but still more portable than DSL40C.

The Marshall DSL40C is also a good option for apartment playing, it has the most power output and tonal possibilities than the other two options, and it gives you the flexibility to increase the volume if needed.

In summary, if you want the most compact and portable option with the ability to play at very low volumes go for DSL5CR, if you want a balance of portability, power output, and tonal possibilities go for DSL20CR, if you want the most power output and tonal possibilities go for DSL40C.