Marshall Valvestate 8100 Head??

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Here's a review from 1991! The first page is upside down for some reason (have to hit the spin button), but the others are OK.

https://www.musicradar.com/guitarist/marshall-valvestate-8100-head-270170

The 1st ValveStates are supposed to be the best of the three marques. I had the 8080 combo back in the 90's but can't remember much about it.
They have an 8080 going at one local guitar shop, but it seems to be damp damaged. The pots are knackered, and the screws that hold the chassis are rusted. Gutted when I tried it out.

A good 8100 head goes for about £130 in the UK ($170).

jmp45

Reaction score
Thanks Dose, actually never heard of that band. It's in good shape so did the deed. It's on police hold til 11/4 so if I decide to change my mind no big deal. If I don't like it or it has issues it will get returned for refund.

Zensee

Reaction score
This is a really good pick up imo. I've got the 8200 (same amp but has chorus on it) It does 80s 90s metal pretty well and using a boost can yield some good results. I hope you enjoy it. :jam:

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
thats the head that the guy from death used to use , you get the right tube it has one 12ax7 on the pre amp and you will get a bass tone

here its a review

some say its the best SS head

The Ola Englund video posted is using the Valvestate MkII VS100RH head unfortunately.
So not actually representative of the 8100.
I have searched YT for a decent 8100 vid but they are mostly ass. That's the problem when the amp was discontinued pre-internet I suppose.

As for the price, it will depend on availability where you are. Maybe England has more on the 2nd hand market, making them cheaper. Supply & demand.

jmp45

Reaction score
I have an old Marshall Shredmaster pedal with a contour pot. I'm wondering if these 8100s came out around the same time using a similar eq process. Thanks guys for the posts.

Bloodrock

Reaction score
Yes the Shredmaster came out in the 90’s just like the valvestates. Very cool and pretty rare pedal. I’d bet it’s very similar to the preamp circuit of the valvestates. Hot rodded JCM 800 tones.

jmp45

Reaction score
Thanks, I did get that pedal in the 90s from a shop. Thought that contour pot was interesting at the time. I was wondering if the tone stacks were similar.

Alvin got me interested in the Lead 12, glad he did. Thought I'd test the waters with another SS Marshall, this one peaked my interest. I have the 9000 series rack gear, 9001, 9004 and 9005. The 9004 ss preamp from that era sounds pretty cool into the 9005.

I'm always been partial to 4 holers, classic rock, blues and prog. Not really a metal guy so this is off my beaten path a bit. I saw a couple clips with some od crunch and it sounded ok thru my bose. It appeared to me it may be a little more than a metal head.

Zensee

Reaction score
They can be versatile depending on how you dial them in. Be careful with the treble as it can get shrill if you're not careful. I've seen all kinds of different players using them with good results. Hope it works out for you. :dude:

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I had an 8200 s well...from about '96 to 2004(ish)

It would every now and again just have a high pitch squeal I could never debug.
It wasn't the preamp tube...and you could never get it to happen when on a bench.

It had many shows/gigs and I sold it.