Master Volume

• Thread starter oldGNRfan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Non MV vs MV

• Non MV

Votes: 10 17.9%
  • MV

Votes: 46 82.1%

• Total voters

oldGNRfan

Reaction score
Hey there. The release of the Class 5 has brought discussion to my friends and I. What are the better Marshalls: Non Master Volume or Master Volume? People all the time say to me, the JCM 800 was the downhill start of Marshall because of MV. Then I hear from people that the only good Marshalls are master volume because you can't crank non MV. What do you guys think? Also, the Marshall Class 5 looks to me like the first good Marshall in a while, IMO! Just basic blues-rock tones but when cranked can give some classic hard rock. This looks promising, unlike the post JCM 800 Marshalls, IMO! So I will no longer Ramble On and let you guys vote and discuss.:)

Purgasound

Rocker, Roller
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
two different beasts. I really enjoy both. I voted MV though just to see the poll results.

Ken

Reaction score
MV's are practical, and Marshall's are a good design. Yeah, if I had a studio where I could crank 50 watts full out, sure....but welcome to reality: neighbors, wives, kids...

Ken

Birk

Reaction score
1974x (18watts) and 2061 (20watts) are perfect non mastervolume amps!

rich88uk

Reaction score
have to agree with ken. dont think a 100w plexi quite cuts it on a council estate haha

anthonyr

Reaction score
MV's are practical, and Marshall's are a good design. Yeah, if I had a studio where I could crank 50 watts full out, sure....but welcome to reality: neighbors, wives, kids...

Ken

Don't forget about soundguys in small venues who think that you're interfering with his mix if your amp is past 1. "Don't worry about it, there'll be plenty in the monitor"

Sir Don

Reaction score
I've ticked MV purely for practical reasons, if you turn up a non master volume, like a 1959, you'll blow the roof off. Great sound though.

Riffraff

Reaction score
I've had both and must admit that the higher ampere NMV amps are really not very practical. There really isn't a time when you need that much volume......ever. That being said there is nothing like a 4-holer wide open. :naughty: In fact even the MV amps sound better when you open them up and let them breath.

MKB

Reaction score
I actually like a NMV amp with an aftermarket post phase inverter master volume the best. That way you can get the best blend of preamp distortion with power tube distortion. I've run all the NMV Marshalls I've ever owned this way, and the Vintage Modern has basically the same arrangement. This setup I think sounds a lot better than the pre phase inverter master like in the 2203 and 2204 (although the pre PI master does sound very good if the preamp has enough gain and is voiced properly).

Some users claim that a good PPIMV on a NMV amp gives you 90% of the tone of a power attenuator at far less cost. I agree with that provided you can get the amp up loud enough to get the power tubes, transformer and speaker working well.

Papus

Reaction score
I just bought a 2061X 20 watt head, and although I've already blown the output transformer (he he he he) I must say that after more than twenty years of playing through every amp under the sun there is NO substitute for smouldering power tubes - END OF STORY. NO SUBSTITUTE.

For practical purposes (i.e. domestic use) you can't really smoke those power tubes if your amp is rated beyond 15 or 20 watts.... it's just TOO LOUD!!!

Give me low-powered Non-Master Volume amps with everything on 11 ANYDAY!!!
:)

Two54Nine

Reaction score
Seems to me only one way to answer that
Non master volume tone
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1OYzH0Teo8]YouTube - Vintage Marshall Amplifier JTM45 PARK 45 TOP MOUNT Plexi[/ame]
Master Volume tone
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp33yzt4L0c]YouTube - JVM more VH[/ame]
Both great tones, both great playing.
Me wonders which is better, master volume fingers, non-master volume fingers....

MGordon514

Reaction score
I actually like a NMV amp with an aftermarket post phase inverter master volume the best. That way you can get the best blend of preamp distortion with power tube distortion. I've run all the NMV Marshalls I've ever owned this way, and the Vintage Modern has basically the same arrangement. This setup I think sounds a lot better than the pre phase inverter master like in the 2203 and 2204 (although the pre PI master does sound very good if the preamp has enough gain and is voiced properly).

Based on the above, could it be worthwhile converting my 2204's existing pre-phase inverter master volume to post-phase inverter (PPIMV)?

superimposedmedia

Reaction score
I only own an MV amp so that's what I voted.
I don't have many neighbors so I have the luxury of opening her up wide open ;) I love to feel the wind :rock:

Jesstaa

Reaction score
Either way it's loud.

Excuse my stupidity, but what exactly is the difference between non master, pre PI master and post PI master volumes? In easy to understand language.

Manton

Reaction score
Seems to me only one way to answer that
Non master volume tone
YouTube - Vintage Marshall Amplifier JTM45 PARK 45 TOP MOUNT Plexi
Master Volume tone
YouTube - JVM more VH
Both great tones, both great playing.
Me wonders which is better, master volume fingers, non-master volume fingers....

Really man, you're not comparing VM to NVM.
You're comparing
Les Paul to strat
JTM to JVM
Player to Player
Stack to combo
Settings to settings

Only way to get a true test is to have identical setups where one lacks MV and the same player goes through both.

Gtrman58

Reaction score
MV. I love it! Back in the dark ages I had a Mk II that I had to use a Altair power atenuator with. Then I had a mv put on the amp and sold the pa,then later I dumped the amp as well... now I find people are using the heck out of those things again....sigh.....ad it to the list of stuff I shouldn't have sold over the years!:confused: