Mezzabarba: new tone in town?

• Thread starter Karl Brake
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Mezzabarba amps, made in Italy, are a new branch off of the older Massoti brand...pricey, like a Friedman, but, wow, the build on these things is incredible. They've been making them a few years now, maybe 5 (?), and are starting to appear at better prices used. I had an M-zero Overdrive, which I really liked, but the gain on clean and crunch are together, and by the time I got any serious crunch on the boost, the clean channel was too hairy. I picked up the fully 3 channel Trinity model, and, wow. The voicing on the 3 channels are related, each with a footswitchable bright and boost, two masters, presence, depth, and feedback control. I have the EL34 model, and it's somewhere between a Solano and a Marshall...the negative feedback control really allows you to adjust the karrang- type aggression to loosen up the compression. I think it's a winner. I'm still performing with my fab JVM HJS 410, but this Italian thing is seducing me. Any other Mezzabarba fans out there?

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mezzabarba amps, made in Italy, are a new branch off of the older Massoti brand...pricey, like a Friedman, but, wow, the build on these things is incredible. They've been making them a few years now, maybe 5 (?), and are starting to appear at better prices used. I had an M-zero Overdrive, which I really liked, but the gain on clean and crunch are together, and by the time I got any serious crunch on the boost, the clean channel was too hairy. I picked up the fully 3 channel Trinity model, and, wow. The voicing on the 3 channels are related, each with a footswitchable bright and boost, two masters, presence, depth, and feedback control. I have the EL34 model, and it's somewhere between a Solano and a Marshall...the negative feedback control really allows you to adjust the karrang- type aggression to loosen up the compression. I think it's a winner. I'm still performing with my fab JVM HJS 410, but this Italian thing is seducing me. Any other Mezzabarba fans out there?
Yah I've seen a few clips on them. I think Rabea has sampled one if I recall right? Have listened to others too. Sounded great.

I'd be happy with the HJS though. You have wandering ears. :naughty:

Found Bea's demo.

Last edited:

Karl Brake

Reaction score
Yah I've seen a few clips on them. I think Rabea has sampled one if I recall right? Have listened to others too. Sounded great.

Found Bea's demo.

I do have the ear problem, I admit. The mezz has more compression consistency across channels, and punchy lower mids like a Soldano, but not a dark amp. The sounds between super clean and heavy overdrive are really great...a lot of really useable tones in crunchland, and all the.modes have nice lower mid girth. It's a clean machine. Have to take her out of the studio into the real world...that is where the HJS is so fine, it always sits in mix comfortably.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The one with the red oversized transformers looks badass!

Edit; I knew I should’ve watched the video first! :noplease: :D

Karl Brake

Reaction score
The one with the red oversized transformers looks badass!

Edit; I knew I should’ve watched the video first! :noplease: :D
The same custom oversized transformers are the same in the Trinity, though not painted red. The overdrive tone is the same, but the Trinity has better clean and crunch, and a midi out, with a factory switch that you can program, or just control the boost, bright, and master volume for each channel. The clean to Plexi tones are killer on the Trin...it is the evolution of the MZero into something more.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score

Found Bea's demo.

I don't like the overdrive section tone, but the feedback tone, when he's playing rhythm sounds better. The baritone sounds nasty (not in a good way)...

touchy amp, I'd like to hear a better demo...

reneAsologuitar

Reaction score
Mezzabarba amps, made in Italy, are a new branch off of the older Massoti brand...pricey, like a Friedman, but, wow, the build on these things is incredible. They've been making them a few years now, maybe 5 (?), and are starting to appear at better prices used.
I have not heard of this beauty, but will have to start checking this out.
Thank you.

Drinkingdeath01

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Eric Steckel M-Zero and it's in my top three amps of all time. It's very tight and articulate, but not too compressed and packed down. I've always said the best Marshall is the Soldano SLO, this is the best SLO. The difference between the two is the Mezzabarba sounds much bigger and fuller, without bottom end mud.

I haven't been on here in a while so my background is Sabbath to Suffocation and I run EMG 81's straight in, no pedals.
Here's a bad picture of it. Green snakeskin always ads more gain. Lol

Last edited:

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't like the overdrive section tone, but the feedback tone, when he's playing rhythm sounds better. The baritone sounds nasty (not in a good way)...

touchy amp, I'd like to hear a better demo...
The disparities I have with these demos is the guitarists play so well, know how to dial great tones and above all are able to record efficiently.

I'd have to have a go at one and I can tell you it ain't gonna sound like the recorded tones they get.LOL

Here's one from Doug. He's getting great sounds but I'm not roofied over it. I prefer OP's(Karl's)HJS JVM. But that's just me. Marshall whore. :agreed:

Last edited:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have the Eric Steckel M-Zero and it's in my top three amps of all time. It's very tight and articulate, but not too compressed and packed down. I've always said the best Marshall is the Soldano SLO, this is the best SLO. The difference between the two is the Mezzabarba sounds much bigger and fuller, without bottom end mud.

I haven't been on here in a while so my background is Sabbath to Suffocation and I run EMG 81's straight in, no pedals.
Here's a bad picture of it. Green snakeskin always ads more gain. Lol
Good to see you back, DD. You probably get this all the time, but your amp collection is amazing. I’m envious, for sure.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
The circuit is based in fact, so I've read, based on Soldano, and having two Soldanos I can believe that. My feeling is that the Mezz is more open, more karrang, than an SLO, but a more modern punchy overall bass tone than a Marshall, in general. I will have to do a demo, since there aren't many vids on the Trinitys greater variety compared to the Mero. The clean and crunch tones are definitely better.

solarburn

Marshallvore
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The circuit is based in fact, so I've read, based on Soldano, and having two Soldanos I can believe that. My feeling is that the Mezz is more open, more karrang, than an SLO, but a more modern punchy overall bass tone than a Marshall, in general. I will have to do a demo, since there aren't many vids on the Trinitys greater variety compared to the Mero. The clean and crunch tones are definitely better.
Eric's cab has the 20 watt greenies. By the way those cabs are $1800. The sound of it reminded me of my 5153 EVH 412 with 20 watt greenies. Lots of low end punch too yet great for soloing. I had to look at the Mezzabarba cab to see what speakers were in his. You can choose other speakers by the way.

I agree with your description of its overall sonic character. Not that you need me too but yeah.

FourT6and2

Reaction score

The M-Zero is an SLO with variable NFB.

Karl Brake

Reaction score
The M-Zero is an SLO with variable NFB.
But the Trinity is like the next SLO they should have made. Three true channels, each with gain and volume controls, NFB and boost and bright for each chsnbrl, all midi and footswitchable. You can tweak the tones like crazy...the SLO and MZero both have fabulous core tones...but you've got what you've got. You can have a crystal clean channel and a very aggressive crunch tone...you have to compromise one or the other on an SLO. We'll see. I'm just starting to try the Trin on stage, and my HJS has been my dear friend for many years...maybe I'll end up doing them in stereo!

Latest posts