MG50GFX channels

• Thread starter mawson17
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

mawson17

Reaction score
My sons just got this amp and is trying to figure out the channels. When you save a setting it seems to save the volume as well is that correct? So when you go to a gig do you reset it to the correct volume at sound check or just adjust the master volume?
He's planning on using a saved setting and then OD2 for solos. Any advice on this?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My sons just got this amp and is trying to figure out the channels. When you save a setting it seems to save the volume as well is that correct? So when you go to a gig do you reset it to the correct volume at sound check or just adjust the master volume?
He's planning on using a saved setting and then OD2 for solos. Any advice on this?
Yes, the presets save all the channel settings.

Advice?
Manual mode works like a regular amp....

mawson17

Reaction score
Yes, the presets save all the channel settings.

Advice?
Manual mode works like a regular amp....
Hi, yes thats how he used his previous amp. But if he uses it in manual mode can he still use the foot switch to change channel for a solo? That was the issue I think

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, yes thats how he used his previous amp. But if he uses it in manual mode can he still use the foot switch to change channel for a solo? That was the issue I think
Yes. channel switching works as expected in manual mode.
The amp just does whatever the knobs are set at, not a saved value.

If you want a volume change between channels, you'll need to use the presets.
The MV will adjust overall volume of all presets to compensate for different gig volumes.

mawson17

Reaction score

The MV will adjust overall volume of all presets to compensate for different gig volumes.
Actually, I remember him saying he was trying to replicate the settings on the overdrive channel so he could use it manual but he couldnt get the same sound, he likes the overdriven sound. If he cant get it hes going to use an overdrive pedal then use channel switcher for volume for solos

mawson17

Reaction score

Hi, Sorry hes been practising with it again and says he can ony use it either in manual mode or presets mode, so he cant play in manual and then change to OD1 or a preset for the solo volume, is that correct?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi, Sorry hes been practising with it again and says he can ony use it either in manual mode or presets mode, so he cant play in manual and then change to OD1 or a preset for the solo volume, is that correct?
Yes, you can't really switch between manual or presets mode while playing.
If you want a channel volume change from channel switching, you'll need to keep it on the presets.

There are other ways to get a solo boost if you just want a volume change.
A separate volume, EQ, or boost pedal can change the amp volume without a channel switch.

The guitar probably has a volume knob too...

mawson17

Reaction score
Yes, you can't really switch between manual or presets mode while playing.
If you want a channel volume change from channel switching, you'll need to keep it on the presets.

There are other ways to get a solo boost if you just want a volume change.
A separate volume, EQ, or boost pedal can change the amp volume without a channel switch.

The guitar probably has a volume knob too...
Thanks. He's going to stick with what he was going to do which is using overdrive pedal then the footswitch to OD2 for solos. Then he said he can turn off overdrive pedal for certain songs that dont need as much.
He used to use the Boss overdrive pedal for a solo boost with his old 30w amp but I dont think it really did much in terms of volume. Maybe it would with this one as its more powerful. Its all trial and error I guess