Mod 7 : Unleash the brown sound + Marshall plexi sounding way better and cheaper than the sv-20

• Thread starter pat_rocks
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

pat_rocks

Reaction score
Here you go without variac

this time i tried youtube because soundcloud seems to compress it too much.

Last edited:

pat_rocks

Reaction score
No offence, but that sounds exactly like the other recordings. Its like a fizz fest
ffs...

the speakers are now far away from the mic i don't understand why when i listen them threw my monitors it sounds good but when i use my iphone it sounds like compressed shit.

I believe there can be too much gain. i don't understand why on my monitors its not muddy and fizzy...

PelliX

Reaction score

I'm going to have to agree with @Marcomel79 here, it's more clipping/fizzing/solid state saturation by the sound of it. I do think I can perceive a slight difference in mic positioning. Might I recommend moving further outward from the cone, perhaps? You'll get less shrill results that way.

the speakers are now far away from the mic i don't understand why when i listen them threw my monitors it sounds good but when i use my iphone it sounds like compressed shit.

What's the signal chain up to (and including) the monitors? An iPhone will always compress the sound a bit, while it can be used as a target when mastering (yes, in 2024 that's a valid consideration depending on your audience) it should never be used as a reference.

I believe there can be too much gain. i don't understand why on my monitors its not muddy and fizzy...

There's definitely much more gain that I'm hearing on the original. What monitors?

pat_rocks

Reaction score
I'm going to have to agree with @Marcomel79 here, it's more clipping/fizzing/solid state saturation by the sound of it. I do think I can perceive a slight difference in mic positioning. Might I recommend moving further outward from the cone, perhaps? You'll get less shrill results that way.

What's the signal chain up to (and including) the monitors? An iPhone will always compress the sound a bit, while it can be used as a target when mastering (yes, in 2024 that's a valid consideration depending on your audience) it should never be used as a reference.

There's definitely much more gain that I'm hearing on the original. What monitors?
those are pc monitors and not audio monitors it might be the issue... I don't get it why is my sound ultra compressed compared to reality.
there is something i must be doing wrong...

i know that my sound quality on my laptop when i use bias fx is better than on my desktop pc and i don't know why... i should try to record on the laptop

Here is the iphone record :

I should probably lower the gain. Even with the iPhone it’s flubby…

Yeah perhaps I have audio issues with some frequencies but in my room it doesn’t sound flubby hot yes but not flubby.

Last edited:

PelliX

Reaction score
those are pc monitors and not audio monitors it might be the issue... I don't get it why is my sound ultra compressed compared to reality.

Uhm, PC monitors are display devices, but I know that's not what you mean. Do you mean that you're using what are commonly referred to as "computer speakers" instead of "active monitors"? What type?

As for it being compressed, it's before the recording stage, I'd say. Look at the peaks in your recording - it's not hitting a ceiling there.

Skip the iPhone recordings. They will normalize and compress like crazy as they're mainly intended to pick up speech and make it as consistent as possible. There's a lot of "magic" going on there that we don't want to get in to.

Try recording with the 57 about an inch in from the edge of the speaker and about 2 inches back. Use a non-molested amp, ideally even with a clean tone. Play a couple of scales and power chords. Post the results. That will give us an opportunity to evaluate your recording facility.

StingRay85

Reaction score
No offence, but that sounds exactly like the other recordings. Its like a fizz fest
Indeed. Great tone for if you want to explain someone how "fizzy tone" sounds like

Not ice pick, just fizz

Last edited:

Latest posts