Mic'ing A 4x12

• Thread starter Easton55
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Easton55

Reaction score
I'm sure it's probably been asked and answered before, but is there actually a right or wrong way to mike up a cabinet when the need to is there? I've seen virtually every speaker used by different players, so is it just a case of 'use what you can, with what room you have to do it in', or is there a preferred speaker to sit in front of? I've never had to before, but will likely be starting to now, so was hoping for some guidance on it. Thanks again!

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I'm sure it's probably been asked and answered before, but is there actually a right or wrong way to mike up a cabinet when the need to is there? I've seen virtually every speaker used by different players, so is it just a case of 'use what you can, with what room you have to do it in', or is there a preferred speaker to sit in front of? I've never had to before, but will likely be starting to now, so was hoping for some guidance on it. Thanks again!
The preferred speaker is the one that sounds the best. But that's getting into real nitpicking.

Are you looking to mic a cab for live use or for recording? The process is similar for each, but they do have their own specific quirks.

Easton55

Reaction score
The preferred speaker is the one that sounds the best. But that's getting into real nitpicking.

Are you looking to mic a cab for live use or for recording? The process is similar for each, but they do have their own specific quirks.
This would be for live play, but later on maybe recording.

el_bastardo

Reaction score
This would be for live play, but later on maybe recording.
For live, I'd say get you a Shure SM57 and stick it on any speaker you want, about halfway between the dustcap and the edge of the speaker. The soundman will EQ for the room and mix as necessary.

ampmadscientist

Reaction score

Traditionally,
the mic is a SM57, but you are losing a great deal of tone....

You should really try:
276668000000000-00-160x160.jpg
sennheiser e609 or e906.
You will be very pleased with the difference.

Derek S

Reaction score
^^^ +1 to the e906, even better, blend that with an SM57. The 57 sounds great in many applications and positions, especially when off axis and pointing inwards to the cap for high gain stuff. Just experiment but once you find that sweet spot, mark the grill cloth with tape or a colored pencil. I once read where someone explained to think of the mic as a flashlight that is projecting its light...this was a big help when aiming the mic and understanding what its ear is focused on so to speak.

Easton55

Reaction score
Thanks everybody, more experimenting now I guess, haha. Another reason to make people stop and listen, but with an end goal in mind now.:D

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
I have both sm57 and e609 mics. I find that the 57 can sound great or crappy by even moving an inch. The e609 on the other hand sounds great anywhere on the speaker and on every speaker I've tried. Its so forgiving.

I usually use my SM57s for floor tom, kazoo or triangle or something less important. Or let the dogs play with it.

Ghostman

Reaction score
I have both sm57 and e609 mics. I find that the 57 can sound great or crappy by even moving an inch. The e609 on the other hand sounds great anywhere on the speaker and on every speaker I've tried. Its so forgiving.

I usually use my SM57s for floor tom, kazoo or triangle or something less important. Or let the dogs play with it.

do you put the SM57 at the end of the Kazoo, or towards that top knot thing?

asking for a friend.

Trapland

Punk, classic, funk, jazz and everything else.
Reaction score
That's how I hear it too, at least on a slant cab.

Coronado

Reaction score
^^^ +1 to the e906, even better, blend that with an SM57. The 57 sounds great in many applications and positions, especially when off axis and pointing inwards to the cap for high gain stuff. Just experiment but once you find that sweet spot, mark the grill cloth with tape or a colored pencil. I once read where someone explained to think of the mic as a flashlight that is projecting its light...this was a big help when aiming the mic and understanding what its ear is focused on so to speak.

Add another vote for the SM57 blended with an e906/e609 (and some great info on mic placement by Derek - absolutely agree). For recording purposes, I like the Sennheiser mics (in addition to the very popular and awesome SM57) because you can drape it over a cab pretty easily. Although I will say that over time, the weight of the mic can begin to pull on your cable and cause a short, as I have started experiencing lately (its literally taken years, and I'm rather rough on cables). There are different types of stand you can use - I picked up a couple ProLine mic stands, and you can usually find these relatively cheap and on sale at Guitar Center and other music stores. I also found this small mic stand - they call it a desktop mic. Works great for mic'ing those lower speakers on a 4x12, as well as 1x12's and 2x12's as well. You can also use cab grabber type mic holders, but they can run you $40 and up, so I don't know your budget, might make more sense to just drape your e609 or pick up a cheaper mic stand.

Mic placement - To me, this is pretty important, since all the great amps, guitar, and gear really wont shine unless you are capturing it correctly. A while back I picked up a pedal called the EH360 (its a loop that you can use to record like a minute of your guitar, and then play over it). I will record into that, run it through my amp/cab, and then put my headphones on and mess with the mic. That way I don't have to hold the guitar and try to move the mic (not really a big deal, just makes it easier, and I already had the pedal). When I mic the 4x12, I've noticed that different speakers respond to different types of tone, gain, etc. (classic rock, vs. metal, for example).

This video provides a pretty good method for recording guitar. Please excuse the commentary - he likes to poke fun and has some pretty strong opinions. Some love him, some not. He does all sorts of videos on best practices for recording.

Hope this helps, and good luck! Let us know if you have other questions, glad to help!

dptone5

Reaction score
Great thread and thanks so much for the information. I recently purchased an e609 and an e906 to go with my SM-57. Haven't experimented yet, but this thread is such a help!!

DP