Micro Stack Is Back In The Game

• Thread starter AlvisX
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
After years of messin around with the Lead 12, I decided that my favorite speaker in the combo was the Eminence 1030 v .....the ceramic speaker that Fender used in the Pro Junior for a couple decades
I always pulled 'em out of my PJ's ,to stick the blue fame Emi 1020p in there ....... I have 5 Pro Juniors ..so that gave me a few 1030 v's. This misfortune is ,they never made that speaker in 16 ohms .......................So , what to put in the mini stack ?

Years ago I took an empty 1965b cab to Switzerland . I put some 200w 10" bass speakers in it ,to use with a 1x15 cab ,as our cobbled together bass rig .It worked ok . At some point ,I scored two JCM 800 4x12 bass cabs for $400 ....so the 1965 cab was free to go back to guitar. I just took whatever 10"s I had at home ....two G 10 L35s and two 70s alnico Eminence 10"s from a Musicman..all 16 ohms.
I was using that cab in Germany opening for Gary Moore ,when I blew one of those Eminence . So while we were on the road ,I went to Tube Amp Doctor and got a G 10 Vintage . I was not sure I liked that speaker ,as I had one in a Trace Velocette . But it turns out ,the ill tone was the Velocette , NOT the G 10 Vintage

The next time i went over , I had scored two old 70s 16 ohm Celestion 10"s ..not 7442s , the bigger magnet ones . So the G 1o vintage was removed ....and sat from 2010 until this past November when I brought it back from Europe
I stuck that rascal in a mini (micro) stack cab........absolutely glorious ! I ordered another one right away

They totally took the "mini stack as toy" perception right of the table . I don't like the name, G 10 Vintage . People think it's somehow a 10" Vintage 30 ..................Thankfully it is NOT

This is the reason the SC20 / SV20 can't do nothin for me ....save yourself LOTS o' money

Anyway,that's my long winded bullsh*t story

Last edited:

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
The next time i went over , I had scored two old 70s 16 ohm Celestion 10"s ..not 7442s , the bigger magnet ones .
They were probably T1927's Alvin. Marshall used these speakers (along with a G12M-25) in their tall PA cabs. They were only rated at 15w, which meant the cab was only good for 30w. Folk would take them out to replace with higher power handling PA speakers (myself included), which meant plenty of T1927's and Greenbacks sitting on shelves (if they hadn't blown them already).
The T1927's are a great sounding speaker, very inefficient though, so ideal for dropping in a low wattage combo and cranking the shit out of it.
I've put one in my Origin 5c. :thumbs:

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to have a 1990 cab many years ago. When I got it two of the 7442’s had voice coil rubs and two of them were totally blown. I fixed the VC rubs on those two and replaced the blown ones with G10 Vintages. Those G10’s could’ve been amazing sounding speakers, but I couldn’t tell with six other 7442’s running. Regardless, I miss that cabinet.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They were probably T1927's Alvin. Marshall used these speakers (along with a G12M-25) in their tall PA cabs. They were only rated at 15w, which meant the cab was only good for 30w. Folk would take them out to replace with higher power handling PA speakers (myself included), which meant plenty of T1927's and Greenbacks sitting on shelves (if they hadn't blown them already).
The T1927's are a great sounding speaker, very inefficient though, so ideal for dropping in a low wattage combo and cranking the shit out of it.
I've put one in my Origin 5c. :thumbs:

I'll have to look next time Im over there . It sure is a good sounding cab,paired with those G 10 L's
Man, I WISH I could do another tour with Gary Moore :(
I used to have a 1990 cab many years ago. When I got it two of the 7442’s had voice coil rubs and two of them were totally blown. I fixed the VC rubs on those two and replaced the blown ones with G10 Vintages. Those G10’s could’ve been amazing sounding speakers, but I couldn’t tell with six other 7442’s running. Regardless, I miss that cabinet.

I sold my 7442's to the '"collectors" ....stuck G 10 Ls in my 8x10 cab
But seriously, I wish I'd sold the whole cab ...I don't think I've used it live in at least 12 years

FleshOnGear

Harmonic Hermit
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Admittedly, the 1990 is an awfully big cabinet for the fairly thin sound it puts out. I liked the way the 7442’s sat in a mix, but it probably wasn’t necessary to use 8 at once for a recording. I have no experience with G10L’s, sadly. You got me wanting to try a micro stack with the G10 Vintages.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I don't feel like the G 10 Ls are as good in the 1990 as they are in the 1965 ....go figure

The G 10 Vintage in the micro , take it from a cute novelty ,to an actual fat toned gigging amp

Have you tried a G10 Vintage in your Pro Juniors? I have a pair of IV's I use in a wet/dry and I've read you like your PJ's. The stock Jensen P10R, I don't really have any issue with them other than they are rather inefficient. I'm looking for a little more volume and girth. I had a pair of G10 Vintage speakers but sold them because they were 16ohm instead of 8 that's needed.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
, Have you tried a G10 Vintage in your Pro Juniors? I have a pair of IV's I use in a wet/dry and I've read you like your PJ's. The stock Jensen P10R, I don't really have any issue with them other than they are rather inefficient. I'm looking for a little more volume and girth. I had a pair of G10 Vintage speakers but sold them because they were 16ohm instead of 8 that's needed.
Good Idea, bound to sound great . I'll have to try it

Wildeman

Reaction score
Sweet. I'm loving my Bass 12 the most outta my stash of 12s, it's not as ratty sounding as my Leads, probably that speaker.

Georgiatec

VIP Member
Reaction score
I'll have to look next time Im over there . It sure is a good sounding cab,paired with those G 10 L's
Man, I WISH I could do another tour with Gary Moore :(

I sold my 7442's to the '"collectors" ....stuck G 10 Ls in my 8x10 cab
But seriously, I wish I'd sold the whole cab ...I don't think I've used it live in at least 12 years
I know mate. A great loss to music. Must have been a blast on tour with him....and you'll always have those memories. :sad:

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Biff Maloy
So I tried pluggin' a couple different Pro Juniors into the micro stack cabs w/ G 10 Vintage
It was a good fat sound , but darker than I would like, with a Les Paul . That darkness could be the Marshall cabs themselves . I'll have to try 'em with the '82 Super Champ and Champ II
I AM curious what that speaker would sound like in the actual Pro Junior cab

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
@Biff Maloy
So I tried pluggin' a couple different Pro Juniors into the micro stack cabs w/ G 10 Vintage
It was a good fat sound , but darker than I would like, with a Les Paul . That darkness could be the Marshall cabs themselves . I'll have to try 'em with the '82 Super Champ and Champ II
I AM curious what that speaker would sound like in the actual Pro Junior cab

That was my concern as well. Them being dark with a LP. It's their higher sensitivity that got me thinking about them though. My gut tells me a G10 Greenback. I've liked that one before pushed a bit but it's sensitivity is similar to the P10R.

I run one amp dry and boosted a little. A G10 Greenback should accentuate that but the other PJ I have a 5751 in V1 with no boost so it sounds cleaner and that's where my echo goes. I've thought about a higher wattage speaker like a Creamback 10 there for a little more clarity. I've just ended up selling the Creambacks I've tried in the past.

I'd be interested if you get a chance to try the Vintage in the PJ's cabs. I had a decent 10" speaker collection but just about all were 16ohm so I dumped a few.

Mike_LA

Reaction score
I have a pair of these in my micro stack, but they're being "pushed" by a 1 Watt JVM. No real sonic comparison. For that matter, they're not even broken in yet.
20240405_135332.jpg

Wildeman

Reaction score
Have you tried the G10 vintage in the combo? I just let my mini stack go in a trade, so I'm down to my Lead and Bass combos. Still got my monster Mosfet 100 and Haze 15 too, so me Marshalls are covered.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of these in my micro stack, but they're being "pushed" by a 1 Watt JVM. No real sonic comparison. For that matter, they're not even broken in yet.
View attachment 149422

I have one of those in my MG15 stack .....doesn't cut it for me .Very disappointed with Celestion on that one
Have you tried the G10 vintage in the combo? I just let my mini stack go in a trade, so I'm down to my Lead and Bass combos. Still got my monster Mosfet 100 and Haze 15 too, so me Marshalls are covered.
I haven't ,as Ive been using the Eminence in there for the last few years ...G 10 s 50 before that
But I would totally trust the G 10 Vintage in the combo

Latest posts