• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

Monotone Studio One

scott-colorado2016

Reaction score
I've seen some of the old threads on this amp on several forums, but wanted to see if anyone has built the amp kit and still has it and play through it.

If you don't know, this is touted as a 1 watt, JCM800 style (preamp), 2 channel amp. It is sold in a kit by Mojotone for less than $350 (without tubes or cabinet).

It's got a good size chassis, looks like it has enough room for their effects loop to be added. I play for my own enjoyment, so not outside the house. I do have the ability to turn up where I live, so volume is no issue.

Anyway, anyone got one? Had one? Built one for someone else? What are/were your thoughts? How does it sound?

Thanks.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I've seen some of the old threads on this amp on several forums, but wanted to see if anyone has built the amp kit and still has it and play through it.

If you don't know, this is touted as a 1 watt, JCM800 style (preamp), 2 channel amp. It is sold in a kit by Mojotone for less than $350 (without tubes or cabinet).

It's got a good size chassis, looks like it has enough room for their effects loop to be added. I play for my own enjoyment, so not outside the house. I do have the ability to turn up where I live, so volume is no issue.

Anyway, anyone got one? Had one? Built one for someone else? What are/were your thoughts? How does it sound?

Thanks.
I've been looking at this a long time and am curious too. I have not found anyone around here that has any first hand knowledge on it. I'm not a builder so its a no go for me unfortunately. I say get it and build it if you got the skills. :yesway:

scott-colorado2016

Reaction score
"I do have the ability to turn up where I live, so volume is no issue."

Then add 2 zeros and buy a 100 watt plexi instead.
The plexi sounds nice if you turn it up a little past "7."

I do like my hearing though. I see lots of posts saying that a 5 watt amp is too loud for home use, a 1 watt amp is loud, etc., I don't have those issues is what I mean. I appreciate the partial tongue-in-cheak of your response, my playing isn't fit for consumption by anyone not really used to it, 100 watter will bring it to those who are unprepaired. LOL

scott-colorado2016

Reaction score
I've been looking at this a long time and am curious too. I have not found anyone around here that has any first hand knowledge on it. I'm not a builder so its a no go for me unfortunately. I say get it and build it if you got the skills. :yesway:

I did look it up and read through some of the posts I saw. There weren't slot of them, the one main one I saw was a guy that had trouble with the final operation after completing it, not much in the way it sounds.
As for the skills, I have a healthy respect for electricity, I know how to solder, and I know how to use a multimeter... If I do get it, I will report back here as the project goes. Thanks.

Edit: It will be my first build of an amp though.

Latest posts