Most advanced Marshall worth a turret board build?

• Thread starter V-man
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

V-man

Reaction score
50-50 elements here and workbench, I opted for the larger traffic stream.

I was thinking about an obsolete circuit or two you can no longer reliably source replacement boards for and was curious about this subject.

I am sure for a grade at MIT, views & subs on a monetized channel or some other purpose that rewards excess to the point of absurdity, a JVM or beyond could probably be recast in P2P form, but there has to be a law of diminishing returns in terms of practicality (time and expense).

I would confidently state the floor would at least be the 25/50 to JCM 900 series with the SLX being easiest and the 2555/4100 models being most difficult. 900 boards being a thing of the past, I can see it feasible, even practical for a hobbyist/builder to attempt a hand-wired SLX. As for JCM 2000 and beyond, I am not sure where the complexity/cost or even feasibility diminishes to “lost cause”

Any ideas?

2L man

Reaction score
Silver Jubilee 2555 does not look difficult to hand wire but naturally it take time. When chassis is large it is possible to do more complex circuits.

4100 schematic I found has OP-amps and I would not spend time using them with tubes.

V-man

Reaction score
The 2203/2204 is probably the last iconic model worth doing P2P. But it's not more complex than SL or SB

I think from a (current) practical point you are right.

Had the SLX gained more popularity though, I could easily see that being a candidate… same story with the Vintage Modern, but the moment of them having widespread exposure/demand to make your own (as opposes to buying used) is probably in the past.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Sorry for the temporary derail, I was just pointing out that Turret Board is not the same as PTP.

PTP by definition excludes the use of turret boards of any kind...just like PCB isn't turret board.

mickeydg5

Reaction score
The middle east of the united states of America
Here are the guts of my BC Audio Amplifier 8

View attachment 146764

THAT is organized PTP. Wired by Bruce Clement, the BC in BC Audio.
So you are saying their costume ptp is not ptp just like a turret board?
I am sorry but point to point is by wire, by component, by turret, by board or anything else. It is a play on words.
The only differences are the components and means.

Technically, it is all point to point. A mother board full of processors is point to point.
Please understand that.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
Correct. I ALMOST wrote turret board in my reply too, but the two are used interchangeably so often, I didn't.

Either are better than a pcb imo.
PCB done right is just as valid. PCP done cheaply is where it gets a bad rap.
So you are saying their costume ptp is not ptp just like a turret board?
I am sorry but point to point is by wire, by component, by turret, by board or anything else. It is a play on words.
The only differences are the components and means.

Technically, it is all point to point. A mother board full of processors is point to point.
Please understand that.
No it isn't.

But in the end the electrons don't care. If you care to discuss it further, we should do it in another thread.

StrummerJoe

Reaction score
PTP seems ok until you have to fault find someone else's builds.
Give me a nice neat turret layout or a PCB anytime
Yeah, that looks like old school PTP, which could be a total rats nest. Manufacturers switched to turret board because it was faster to wire and fix.

All methods are valid when done with quality components, IMHO.

playloud

Reaction score
Ceriatone do a Silver Jubillee with plenty of space left in the chassis:

In a similar vein, there's the Wizard MC100, which uses those long Sprague axial caps and still gets away with it:
iu

This Larry Dino has plenty of relays:

dino018-01.jpg

I think if you use narrow turret boards, stand up transformers and radial caps, the JVM is probably doable - the question is whether you'd bother (I wouldn't). Personally, I'm more interested in builds that go the other way - stripping the circuit down to its bare essentials (a good example being how Ken Fischer co-opted the AC30 top boost circuit for his Rocket).

Some day, I'd like to make a plexi clone with a front panel that has only a power switch, an indicator and a single input jack...

Latest posts