Votes: 0 0.0%
  • jcm800 2203

• silver jubilee

• Total voters

JKrauland

Reaction score
So Ive been sitting on the idea of buying a marshall for a while. And im just curious as to the clean headroom of the following amps
1959slp
jtm45/100
jmp100w
jcm800 2203
silver jubilee
Any additional insight into the tone is welcome too, thanks.

Matt_Krush

Reaction score
I have the 2555x, while it has a fair amount (more than enough) clean headroom...it will break up before the knobs are dimed...especially with med & high output pickups or any kind of boost infront of it.

I don't own a true jcm 800 2203, but the clone I built will only have max clean headroom using the low input (half of V1 disabled).

The JTM45/100 is basically a Fender Bassman....between that and the jmp 100 mark 2 (I think is) from what I recall on schematics...those may be the best bet for really loud, clean headroom.

EDA: I have no experience with either of the above 2 amps...actual owners/users can correct me and interject please.

spacerocker

Reaction score
I would say, without a doubt - JVM410 on Clean Green

ampmadscientist

Reaction score
So Ive been sitting on the idea of buying a marshall for a while. And im just curious as to the clean headroom of the following amps
1959slp
jtm45/100
jmp100w
jcm800 2203
silver jubilee
Any additional insight into the tone is welcome too, thanks.
The answer is that:
You want an amp w/ low sensitivity...not more headroom.
Low sensitivity means that it takes MORE signal to reach a point of distortion.
High sensitivity means that it takes LESS signal to reach distortion...

So as far as sensitivity goes, the 1959 (which has one stage pre amp) is the cleanest, along w/ any other that has the clean preamp.
Other Marshalls with 2 stage preamp (like 2203 2204 and several others) have more pre amp distortion....and are less clean.

Clue: any amp w/ a master volume has more distortion in the preamp....AND any amp w/ diode clipping has more distortion.

So what many people might do:
is buy the amp w/ diode clipping, and take the diodes out. (that's one way)
This allows you to get full output clean....but also allows preamp distortion w/ a master volume.
So, you have basically both options....clean as possible - and dirty....and then you have a master volume to reduce the loudness.

But basically to play a Marshall:
You use the volume control on the guitar - turn down the guitar to get clean...turn guitar UP to get distortion.

Kris Ford

Reaction score
the orange 120 sucks?

I thought so..big and loud like a hot dry fart...stayed clean up til 9, then even the neighbors were deaf at that point.

IF you used it as a pedal platfrom, it was tolerable, but so dark, loose and sloppy compared a Marshall.

Would have been a GREAT bass amp.

Kris Ford

Reaction score

That's actually an "OD 120", as it has a master volume..and distorts at manageable levels.

And while the tone is good, the feel is totally different , and having been a Marshall player 20 some years, it felt very foreign and even affected my playing.

Wildeman

Reaction score
I see your Orange 120 and raise, Fender Bassman 100 in stock form. You do not want breakup from this amp! Alvis mods them to sound killer but stock......... Loud as Motorhead and super clean, i think its actually135 watts.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
A nice 79 or 80 JMP will have some good head room IF you keep the gain low and/or turn the guitar volume down a bit...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
The JTM 100, or any 100w amp with a KT66 or 6L6 based output section is going to have more clean headroom than any EL34 based amp. Now, this is talking about 100w versions of these amps, there are certainly amps that go beyond 100w. So, the only amp listed in the OP's options with this design is the JTM 100. All of the other amps in the OP's list use EL34's, which are a less efficient tube and will distort/clip at lower levels than the KT66/6L6 variants.

keennay

Reaction score
And maybe more so with 6550's?:hmm:

Oh yeah, I was gonna say throw in some 6550's in that bad boy, re-bias (and/or modify a couple of resistors) and you'll get more headroom.

Having owned both EL34 & 6550 versions of Marshall JMP 2203's at the same time, I can vouch for this.