Moving A Stack Amp

• Thread starter Mike082377
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Mike082377

Reaction score
I am moving from North Carolina to South Carolina. I own a Marshall JCM 800 2203 full stack, DSL40c, a floor board with numerous pedals, a Les Paul, SG, and Taylor acoustic - all guitars have hard shell cases. My question is this...

Should I allow North American Van Lines to move my gear? :hmm:

They will crate everything and it's all insured. But would YOU take the chance? My job is moving me but they will not pay for a Uhaul for me to move my gear.

What would you do????????

alhayesmusic

Reaction score
I'd either..
1. Invest in flight cases
2. Package everything in boxes, and then have them crated.
Hope your move goes well!

Maklaca

Reaction score
I have spent 12 years in the moving industry. When you go with a name van line, like United, your worries are minimal. You move is not that long of a drive as well, so overall, you should be ok. They tend to do a very good job.
I probably would put the things like the speaker cabinets in cases and let them move them, unless they are something rare.
My worry would be the heads. Heads are heavy, and I have learned the hard way that people don't equate heavy with delicate. You don't want them getting banged around.
Guitars are a judgement call. I would try to fit them in the car, but if not, see if I felt good about how they were going to move them. They will be exposed to any humidity or cold/heat from being in the back of the trailer. Is it a day trip, or an over nighter?
I'm a big fan of moving things that I really care about myself. (Not just amps, but any jewelry, important documents, medications, etc.) Cram that car as full as you can man.

blues_n_cues

VIP Member
Reaction score
I am moving from North Carolina to South Carolina. I own a Marshall JCM 800 2203 full stack, DSL40c, a floor board with numerous pedals, a Les Paul, SG, and Taylor acoustic - all guitars have hard shell cases. My question is this...

They will crate everything and it's all insured. But would YOU take the chance? My job is moving me but they will not pay for a Uhaul for me to move my gear.

throw it in the car, put the wife & kids in the van.:lol:
seriously,let the moving company do it. IF they're going to crate it just make sure you are there to oversee it & make sure they (or you) use moving blankets or a couple of these inside the crate to cover the gear.

Mainstays 1.25" Convoluted Foam Topper, Multiple Sizes - Walmart.com

LAARS

Reaction score

No way would I let my gear be moved by others. It's worth the price of a small U-haul.

keennay

Reaction score
What's the insurance rate, and how much will it cover?

Rokinroller

Reaction score
My guitars and amps would go with me. The cabs can go with the movers with the rest of the big stuff. Mind you even speaker cabs can be delicate . I've seen the magnets pop off the speakers due to lots of bumps and vibrations. I'd want to cusion the cabs. Don't let them ride on their casters in the truck.

wallythacker

Reaction score
Don't forget, unless things have changed drastically in the moving industry, damages are paid out so many cents on the pound.

So a 50 lb. head might net you a tidy $25 if they totally trashed it.

You have to buy extra insurance from the mover, which of course means that your claim will be denied until you sick a lawyer on them.

Move it yourself.

jrowley

Reaction score
Welcome to SC.

When I moved here, I used Allied and they took the cabs and I transported my guitars/heads. Take off the casters and then box/crate the cabs. Make sure they are well padded.

stock_hippie

Reaction score
i was going to art school in 1968....i was flying Eastern Airlines...i was carrying my Gibson 345 with no case...i sort of thought i could put next to me...like in a seat...well, the ticket guy made me put in with the luggage...it didn't get hurt