Multi-Effects Pedal - Zoom

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm recently interested in getting a cheap (but good) multi-effects pedal, I've had Digitech before and want to try something different, I found the Zoom G1X Four, its got good reviews. I want to use it to switch between rhythm and lead tones on one button and turn effects on and off with the other button, and use the tuner too. Does anybody have experience with this model, its priced right and has lots of effects and features, I might just order it and demo it for awhile to see if its a keeper. I want to use it with my newly built 5E3 and add the Zoom as a part of this new grab and go rig. :yesway:

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I just bought one a little over a week ago. I'm running a Boss GT-100 in 4-cable method across a JCM 2000 DSL 100, so the Zoom is run inline.

I love it. It has clean tones to kill for, and a few of the overdrive patches have an excellent, well-rounded texture. It's a keeper. I have a very close Rockman sound dialed in. I bought the non-pedal version instead of the G1X Four, because I already have a pedal on the GT.

A tip: In my experience, the Zoom Guitar Lab software sort of sucks. It takes forever to connect to the unit, and it's a bit awkward once it does. ToneLib Zoom is far better:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I just bought one a little over a week ago. I'm running a Boss GT-100 in 4-cable method across a JCM 2000 DSL 100, so the Zoom is run inline.

I love it. It has clean tones to kill for, and a few of the overdrive patches have an excellent, well-rounded texture. It's a keeper. I have a very close Rockman sound dialed in. I bought the non-pedal version instead of the G1X Four, because I already have a pedal on the GT.

A tip: In my experience, the Zoom Guitar Lab software sort of sucks. It takes forever to connect to the unit, and it's a bit awkward once it does. ToneLib Zoom is far better:

Good recommendation thanks! :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

Are you able to set it up so you can switch between a rhythm and lead tone on the left footswitch and switch effects on and off on the right footswitch? I see that the different overdrives have their own volume, can you set your lead tone louder than your rhythm tone?

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Are you able to set it up so you can switch between a rhythm and lead tone on the left footswitch and switch effects on and off on the right footswitch? I see that the different overdrives have their own volume, can you set your lead tone louder than your rhythm tone?
I haven't tried, but I doubt it. Your best bet would probably be to make a patch for rhythm, then make the next one for lead, then the next one for lead with the effect(s) you want.

I run mine through the GT-100, so I would probably stay on the same Zoom patch, but switch to a GT patch with boost and effects.

EDIT: Setting your lead tone louder than rhythm would be easy with the above method.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I haven't tried, but I doubt it. Your best bet would probably be to make a patch for rhythm, then make the next one for lead, then the next one for lead with the effect(s) you want.

I run mine through the GT-100, so I would probably stay on the same Zoom patch, but switch to a GT patch with boost and effects.

EDIT: Setting your lead tone louder than rhythm would be easy with the above method.
I dont understand this, I think I'll have to get one to play around with to really know if it will do what I want.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I dont understand this, I think I'll have to get one to play around with to really know if it will do what I want.
In all fairness, I haven't fully explored it yet myself. I've only had it for a little over a week and I've just dialed in a few patches I like.

This thing can make some excellent overdrive sounds. Big, full, and round. I was honestly surprised.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
By the way, I very well might have told you wrong above. I've only used mine in patch mode, so it may very well do exactly what you're asking and I just wasn't aware of it.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
By the way, I very well might have told you wrong above. I've only used mine in patch mode, so it may very well do exactly what you're asking and I just wasn't aware of it.
I had a Digitech and could set the switches any way I liked, I assume the same here. I'll find out when I get around to getting one. Thanks!

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I don't think you can. I looked at one awhile back as a small alternative to my Zoom G3s. As I recall, it wasn't set up to do that oddly. I went with the single button MS50 multi stomp instead. I don't use any guitar tones with them just effects.
Select button will be to select effects n tones, On Off will turn that off or on.
I think a patch - a collection of effects together - might be the best way to so this.
The old G3 with the 3 buttons can do anything.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I don't think you can. I looked at one awhile back as a small alternative to my Zoom G3s. As I recall, it wasn't set up to do that oddly. I went with the single button MS50 multi stomp instead. I don't use any guitar tones with them just effects.
You cant switch between 2 tones on the fly?

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I had a Digitech and could set the switches any way I liked, I assume the same here. I'll find out when I get around to getting one. Thanks!
Sounds good. Please let me know once you figure it out. I won't use it that way, but it would be good to know.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
screenshot_20220811-200632-png.112850
This would probably work, but it also looks like it would be quite a "pedal dance" when performing. I still think his best bet is what you suggested; just make a patch for each setting and switch between them.

SkyMonkey

Reaction score
Have you thought about going 4CM with two Zoom G1 Fours?

I have a 2nd hand B1X Four (bass version) and have been keeping an eye out for another 2nd hand non-X version (I'm cheap).
B1 in front of the preamp (OD's, Comp, ZNR, etc.) and the B1X (Cabs, Volume, EQ, TBEs) after.
I even found a 2nd hand Pedaltrain Metro 16 ready for the job (I'm really cheap).

That would double the FX slots available to 10.
Handy because the Zoom G1/B1 Four units now use 2 of the 5 available slots for an amp+cab sim.

That would make a very cheap, flexible 4CM setup.

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

I think the Select button will select the next effect but then it has to be turned on. Double pedal but might work. I should look at the manual again.
I could be wrong.
I think I figured it out, see below video - memory mode discussion at 4:45. In memory mode you have 5 patch banks (buttons 1-5, 1-4 are prepopulated, the 5th button is empty), so theoretically I could save a rhythm patch and lead patch in the 5th button, the footswitches scroll up and down, this will enable me to switch between the two rhythm and lead tones on the fly. I would have to have my effects built into the tone patches so no I couldnt turn effects on and off, but I'm ok with that as long as I can switch between rhythm and lead. I could always add extra patches in button 5 with effects on and off if needed. If I'm correct I will like this pedal very much, it seems to have really good tones and functionality. :yesway:

Last edited:

PowerTube44

Reaction score
I think I figured it out, see below video - memory mode discussion at 4:45. In memory mode you have 5 patch banks (buttons 1-5, 1-4 are prepopulated, the 5th button is empty), so theoretically I could save a rhythm patch and lead patch in the 5th button, the footswitches scroll up and down, this will enable me to switch between the two rhythm and lead tones on the fly. I would have to have my effects built into the tone patches so no I couldnt turn effects on and off, but I'm ok with that as long as I can switch between rhythm and lead. I could always add extra patches in button 5 with effects on and off if needed. If I'm correct I will like this pedal very much, it seems to have really good tones and functionality. :yesway:

It really does have some nice sounds in it.

mmrizio

Reaction score
Some of the recent Zoom effect boxes use interchangeable software.

If you like tinkering, or if budget is tight, you might want to check out: