Multi-Effects Pedal - Zoom

ampeq

Reaction score
I'm recently interested in getting a cheap (but good) multi-effects pedal, I've had Digitech before and want to try something different, I found the Zoom G1X Four, its got good reviews. I want to use it to switch between rhythm and lead tones on one button and turn effects on and off with the other button, and use the tuner too. Does anybody have experience with this model, its priced right and has lots of effects and features, I might just order it and demo it for awhile to see if its a keeper. I want to use it with my newly built 5E3 and add the Zoom as a part of this new grab and go rig. :yesway:
I have tried them all and would highly recommend the Line 6 HX Effect. It’s just effects, no amps, which is what I like. You can find them for $500 or so new. These things have everything you need and don’t take up much room. You can set up a ton of 6 button pedal boards you can pull up anytime. If you want to go with a very high end unit, I have a Fractal FX8 that is like new I would sell for $625. However I still say look at the HX Effects.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I have tried them all and would highly recommend the Line 6 HX Effect. It’s just effects, no amps, which is what I like. You can find them for $500 or so new. These things have everything you need and don’t take up much room. You can set up a ton of 6 button pedal boards you can pull up anytime. If you want to go with a very high end unit, I have a Fractal FX8 that is like new I would sell for $625. However I still say look at the HX Effects.
My price range is $100 or less, its just for tooling around at home or with friend jams.

mmrizio

Reaction score
I heard the G1X Four is not a major step over it's precedessors. That's why I bought a used G1Xon locally for 25 Euro. I did play around with the tools I posted on the previous page, to optimize the available effects. But I can't really comment on it's sound yet, or whether it will work for the use cases you posted.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Just got a used Zoom G3Xn off Reverb for $120 not bad! I'll have it in a few days and post my first impressions. Feature wise its got 3 foot switches so you can setup a clean, crunch and lead tone and volumes, just what I was looking for! This model came recommended to me by Zoom customer service, they said it will do the functionality I'm looking for. :yesway:

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got a used Zoom G3Xn off Reverb for $120 not bad! I'll have it in a few days and post my first impressions. Feature wise its got 3 foot switches so you can setup a clean, crunch and lead tone and volumes, just what I was looking for! :yesway:
Nice score & great price for the Xn, you'll like it.
I have a G3n on my little Egnater stack for loop effects.
Lots of options and intuitive to use.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Nice score & great price for the Xn, you'll like it.
I have a G3n on my little Egnater stack for loop effects.
Lots of options and intuitive to use.
Thats the same one I got but without the foot pedal right?

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you get it, download the software & firmware updater.
Hooks up to a PC with any generic USB printer cable - reset (clear out PO settings) & update.
Easier to pick pedals with the software than scrolling through the panel buttons (IMO).

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Hooks up to a PC with any generic USB printer cable - reset (clear out PO settings) & update.
Easier to pick pedals with the software than scrolling through the panel buttons (IMO).

Definitely. That's been my experience with every modeler on the planet.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I wont have it for a week its coming from west coast to east coast ground. How does it work as an attenuator, plug into your SC20 and crank it up, then dial the clean, crunch and lead volumes from the footswitch pedal buttons. This is what I'm hoping works and gets good tone. Have you tried all OD and distortion pedals, which do you like best? Theres so many effects, I dont really use effects but some of the basic ones look interesting, vibe, reverb, delay, rotary speaker, I also want to try hooking up stereo with two amps. :yesway:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wont have it for a week its coming from west coast to east coast ground. How does it work as an attenuator, plug into your SC20 and crank it up, then dial the clean, crunch and lead volumes from the footswitch pedal buttons. This is what I'm hoping works and gets good tone. Have you tried all OD and distortion pedals, which do you like best? Theres so many effects, I dont really use effects but some of the basic ones look interesting, vibe, reverb, delay, rotary speaker, I also want to try hooking up stereo with two amps. :yesway:
Never tried it as a signal throttle in the front end.
The G3N on my Egnaters is just for some loop EQ & TBE.
EQ level in the loop may give you some volume control on a cranked amp like the LBB does.

I can do a little experimentation with the G3X on my Ceriatone tonight.
I have that one set out front to wah, SD-1 grind for low volume & TS clean boost when I'm cranking the JTM45 native drive tones, but it also has the MV mod that works great.
(I do run stereo out into both top inputs)

I have not tried all the 90+ different pedals yet, but I think the effect volume trick you are looking for between effects would work to a degree.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Never tried it as a signal throttle in the front end.
The G3N on my Egnaters is just for some loop EQ & TBE.
EQ level in the loop may give you some volume control on a cranked amp like the LBB does.

I can do a little experimentation with the G3X on my Ceriatone tonight.
I have that one set out front to wah, SD-1 grind for low volume & TS clean boost when I'm cranking the JTM45 native drive tones, but it also has the MV mod that works great.
(I do run stereo out into both top inputs)

I have not tried all the 90+ different pedals yet, but I think the effect volume trick you are looking for between effects would work to a degree.
Oh yeah I forgot you have that JTM45, what I really need is that Unleash, I snoozed and I loozed and didnt get one when they were available, let me know if you ever want to sell yours.

Yeah I cant wait to get this pedal to try out all these ideas I have! Original idea was to get it for my 5E3, then I started thinking about how it might work with all my other amps especially the NMV ones. :yesway:

Crunchifyable

Reaction score
Do you find it easy to bypass / enter tuner mode / avoid unwanted patches?

That was my chief problem with the ~2010 era Digitech line (the ones that had big bulky black metal buttons). I'd use it to tune or to run a noise suppressor, and hit the wrong thing / fail to enter tuner mode and be in some really noisy distorted patch.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score

That was my chief problem with the ~2010 era Digitech line (the ones that had big bulky black metal buttons). I'd use it to tune or to run a noise suppressor, and hit the wrong thing / fail to enter tuner mode and be in some really noisy distorted patch.
If you got bad aim with your foot use your hand lol.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

I had a Digitech Element XP.
Complete p.o.s. - gave it away.

The Zoom G3 & G3n function like individual pedal units that you can set to any of 90+ pedals.
The 3 knobs work just like you would expect.
For pedals with more than 3 controls, there are just multiple screens to access the settings.
You can also run up to 6 different pedals at a time and scroll them through the 3 active displays.
I've yet to find something about these things I don't like.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
How does it work as an attenuator, plug into your SC20 and crank it up, then dial the clean, crunch and lead volumes from the footswitch pedal buttons.
Just tried out setting 2 slots to the same OD with different level/volume settings.
Works just like you want it to.
Can add or subtract from your bypass clean volume with the level control on different front-end pedals and at different crunch/gain settings.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I got the G3Xn today and it works like a charm. Set up a clean, crunch and lead patch in minutes and assigned each to a footswitch just like I wanted. Having fun cycling through all the effects to see what I like and which OD pedals I like. :yesway:

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I got the G3Xn today and it works like a charm. Set up a clean, crunch and lead patch in minutes and assigned each to a footswitch just like I wanted. Having fun cycling through all the effects to see what I like and which OD pedals I like. :yesway:
Sounds excellent! I really like mine.

Nah no problems there. there is an extra set of footswitches for the G3N. Easy to avoid.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Sounds excellent! I really like mine.

Nah no problems there. there is an extra set of footswitches for the G3N. Easy to avoid.
I setup a JTM45 clean, JCM800 crunch, and a 1959 lead tone, plugged into my 5E3 sounds good! Fun! All 3 footswitchable what great functionality! Tomorrow I'll figure out the expression pedal and dive into the 75 preset patches. :yesway:

o1WDs7w.jpg

Last edited: