Music store professional - my experiance

• Thread starter Lespaulnmarshall
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
A few weeks ago I was in Köln, and I visited music store professional, it's a huge store, the biggest I know. When I was there I asked if I could try a couple guitars. The guy told me to get the guitar and find a test room and just plug it in and play. I thought that was just normal there, and nobody asked so I just tried them, put the guitars back in their stands when I was done, and left.

A few days ago I orded a flightcase from them. When it arrived at my house I found out there was something wrong with it, the rack rails was only mounted on one side. (one in the front, and one in the back)*
Since I like the store so much (they have almost ANYTHING you can think of in stock) I decided to go to the shop myself and return the case. So after returning it, I bought a new one. After that I was just looking around a bit in the second hand room. I saw an old 80's Midi controller, without a price tag on it. I asked one of the salesmen how much it was. He was searching for it in the computer, but couldn't find it, then he remembered they didn't know what to ask for it, and he tried to sell me some new piece of shit I didn't even want to buy. i told him I wasn't interested in the new controller I just wanted to know if that old controller worked, and what the price was.Then he was like, oh well go see the salesman in the guitar section. The clerk from the guitar section was the same guy that 'helped' me a few weeks ago. I told him wich midi controller I wanted, and he's like wich one?? I tell him again, and again he asks me again, wich one? After telling him for the third time, he's like OHH you mean the old used one? ,that's a 'custom shop' controller from the 80's. (the controller sends PC's and CC's, they didn't even have CC's in the 80's, did they?) he said it was 1000 euros back in the 80's (euros, in the 80's, go figure) and that he could easily get 500 euros for it on ebay. But he wanted 150 for it. (WTF) Later he said 120. Then he started helping other people, and acting like a real 'guitar store' clerk (an assole) After helping all the other people he told me that I had to be very experienced with midi to use the controller and other things like that. After convincing the guy I could use the fucking thing he got it from the second hand room, and he tried to power it up with a regular 9v adapter (one for regular stomp boxes) and stomps one of the switches a couple times, he's like no, doesn't work... Just leave it. He probably didn't even plug the adapter into a wall wart. Then he showed my a behringer footcontroller and an engl Z-12 on his computer. At that point, no matter at what price, I didn't even want the damn midi controller (the old one) anymore, And I left the store. later on my way back home, I figured last time I was there, he was just being too lazy to help me. He just wanted to stay behind his computer.

That guy is the only cure in the world for GAS , LOL !!
Just thought I'd share my experiance.

Last edited:

Dave666

Reaction score
Thx for sharing your experience, LPnM.
I order some small things once in a while from them, they have (like you said) most of the gear in stock and they have the right prices.
I never been in the store myself, maybe i'll drop by on my way on vacation or something if I'm in the neighborhood...

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Thx for sharing your experience, LPnM.
I order some small things once in a while from them, they have (like you said) most of the gear in stock and they have the right prices.
I never been in the store myself, maybe i'll drop by on my way on vacation or something if I'm in the neighborhood...

Yes, you should really check the store out It's really cool, except for most of the employees.

drewz120

Reaction score
ahahah that was hilarious!!! I cant believe how spot on it really is. They suck in the US too. I order all my expensive shit online no tax sites where they reps usually are helpful.

Papus

Reaction score
Online is where it's at.
Physical retailers really need to get their shit together and offer superior customer service.
Why would I pay extra to cover the salary of some dumb-fuck emo kid?
I'm happy to pay extra for quality service and backup, but I ain't paying for some fuckwit to insult my intelligence.

brp

Reaction score
Yep, very happy with the service from my online retailer, and I can buy things from the next province over cheaper than the same item from the store down the street, SHIPPED, plus they throw a free t-shirt in every purchase and some cool LP shaped stickers too.
Brick & mortar better get their shit together.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
I agree, except for guitars and sometimes amps I ALWAYS buy online or used.

drewz120

Reaction score
My last online guitar experience was great. I ordered through SW and even haggled $200 off what the website said. Plus no tax...Which is huge on items over $1000.

Guitar Center is just like that video. A bunch of assholes who think they are the greatest ever and could care less what you ask for or want.........But guess what, my wife bought me a pedal for Christmas and she said they were so nice to her

She has a huge rack.........hmmmmmmmm......I have a cock. They love to be all talky talky with cute women but want us to go fuck ourselves.

hbach

Reaction score
Oh my German countrymen always excelling at customer service. At least it is not like ten or fifteen years ago when they would chase you out of the store if you asked them for help :)

I bet the guy gets zip for selling used stuff and a commission for new stuff so guess what he is pushing.

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
Oh my German countrymen always excelling at customer service. At least it is not like ten or fifteen years ago when they would chase you out of the store if you asked them for help :)

I bet the guy gets zip for selling used stuff and a commission for new stuff so guess what he is pushing.

He didn't want to sell the controller to me, he wanted to buy it himself I think.

Strateuphoria

Reaction score
Musicstore rules man!

They also have their own line of pedals, amps and guitars that are miles better than anything in the same price range. I ordered a maple neck jazz bass (Jack & Danny) it blows away any squier bass and the setup, fretwork and neck would be on par with a US j-bass.
Alder body, Canadian hard rock maple. $100 unbelievable

They also have a line of FAME amps and some models, the handwired tube amps combo's are from Russia, they sound fantastic.

GALLERY_GIT0007943-000_3_images390.jpg

GALLERY_BAS0004370-000_1_images390.jpg

Lespaulnmarshall

Reaction score
The flightcasenI bought from them is music store branded and it was cheap and very well built., but their customer service is the same as GC's.

MartyStrat54

Reaction score
I live just north of Kansas City. My favorite place to go was the Musician's Friend Outlet store which was located in one corner of their massive warehouse. What was nice is that you could buy anything new from their catalog, or you could buy returns, open stock and demos in the outlet store.

Whenever I found something I liked, I would bypass all of the floor dolts and deal with the floor manager. The best deal I got was a brand new flame maple Explorer for $850. I also bought a TSL 602 that was listed as not working for $400. I put a complete set of tubes in it and it worked flawlessly. Now that was a sweet deal. Too bad that MF closed the outlet store in 2010.

I try to stay away from Guitar Center, even online. I buy mostly from Musician's Friend. Of course, Musician's Friend and Guitar Center are joined at the hip, but MF is better.

I lived for over 20 years in Phoenix. GC killed off most of the ma and pa music stores and that was a shame. I remember the last time I dealt with GC. I knew what I wanted and I had a competitors ad in my hand and I went in there and got an additional 10 percent off of a DSL401 and a DigiTech RP12. That was 1999 and the last time I bought anything from them besides strings or picks.

Papus

Reaction score
I know people who go on forums for whatever they're buying.
Let's say you're buying a new flatscreen TV.
Join a forum, find a thread about the model you want to buy.
Other members will send you copies of catalogues, ads, receipts - anything with a competitor's price on it.
You take that into your store of choice and lean on them HARD.