MXR Custom Badass 78 Distortion! GET IT!!

• Thread starter matt3310
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

matt3310

Reaction score
I just got one of these jewels and Im totally blown away!!! I plugged my Strat into it then into the 59 Bassman.
You cant possibly get a better tone!!! :dude:
I can get my Fenderish tones, and full blown Marshall tones!!! Its amazing!!!

V-man

Reaction score
It helps more if you compare it to other pedals used and with which setups. With a RAT '85 WFRI & Emma Reeza on the board w. a Timmy on the way, not so sure I'm convinced yet.

HOT TUBES 70

Reaction score
I have read nothing but great reviews about these new pedals from MXR , and i'm not the biggest fan of the MXR stuff , but they sound good on the clips etc !

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uLkd4DX3PxY&feature=related]YouTube - ‪MXR Custom Badass '78 Distortion‬‏[/ame]

V-man

Reaction score
There is something about those little boxes that make me all excited to get a bunch and put a pedalboard together. Unfortunately, they seem to be hit or miss in my experience. I own two right now, and both have tone suck and or volume drop issues. I think their pedals were among of the forefathers of the True Bypass argument.

That said, the demo does sound good. I heard somewhere these were based on the DS1, and I would gladly put an MXR on the board before any boss pedal. Matt, are these TB or buffered (like most MXRs), and do you get volume drop when the pedal is/is not engaged?

matt3310

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure its buffered. With that said, when its off it didn't affect my tone any that I could hear. Unlike my Boss pedals that do.

As far as comparisons, it reminds me of a cranked JCM800 with a tube screamer in front. And this was through my 59 Bassman! I have a old DS-1 and I dont think they sound a lot alike. More of an original Marshall 'Govnor than a DS-1.

I haven't heard the Rat pedals so I cant compare it to them.

SmokeyDopey

VIP Member
Reaction score
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fR3Os80p0u4]YouTube - ‪Marshall Plexi 1987x‬‏[/ame]

drewz120

Reaction score
Ive been wanting one of these since I saw all the demos. I used to buy boss first but have moved away to more MXR pedals. I still love the Boss DD7 though, that one is still the shit. Also cant forget the tuner.

EDIT: I bought the Boss Power Stack and havent liked it as much as I thought I would, if you have used this let me know your opinion between the two. Thanks.

fretfire6

Reaction score
Pretty sure Randy Rhoads used an MXR Distortion + in his rig at some point. Does this pedal replicate that one? Back when I first started watching the older guys playing guitar, that pedal was THE distortion pedal to have.

V-man

Reaction score
Pretty sure Randy Rhoads used an MXR Distortion + in his rig at some point. Does this pedal replicate that one? Back when I first started watching the older guys playing guitar, that pedal was THE distortion pedal to have.

Save your $.

1. RR played the M104 D+, but his 70s era "script" pedal was a smooth boosting pedal that felt more like an OD. Since current M104 RIs fail to capture the tone, it would be very doubtful this one would be any different.

2. MXR plans to reissue the '74 script M104 sometime next year.

fretfire6

Reaction score
I can go right over to my buddy's house and get his original 70's MXR Distortion +. No need to wait for the RI. Thanks for the info!!!

Bieling3

Reaction score
All I've been wanting to play are fuzz pedals on my Bassman LTD... does this pedal allow you to do some of that good Marshall chunking with out the flubbyness?

matt3310

Reaction score
All I've been wanting to play are fuzz pedals on my Bassman LTD... does this pedal allow you to do some of that good Marshall chunking with out the flubbyness?

Yes! You can nail some killer Marshall tones no problem. In the past I would never consider playing live without a Marshall behind me. But I wouldn't hesitate to use this set up anywhere! Im truly impressed with this little pedal!

c588

Reaction score
i just got back from guitar center and i had this pedal hooked up to a class 5 and then a jvm and all i gotta say is im deff buying it tomorrow and trading in my blues driver

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
:hmm: I got excited from all these postings. So I just got back from my local GC. I had to pass on the pedal. It sounded better than most "Distortion" pedals but didn't come anywhere near a Overdriven Marshall pushed by a Quality Over Drive pedal (SD-1). Sorry, just my $.02

Best to you. David :cheers: