• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

My beloved vintage 4x12 - discuss?

• Thread starter MoFacta
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

MoFacta

Reaction score
Hey folks. First post and thanks for having me.

So I decided to open up my cab to date my speakers again after almost 20 years. I installed them in my 20s in the cab, which I purchased unloaded and then tried to restore.

Celestion T1511 G12M 25w 16ohm 55Hz creambacks. I wired them in parallel-series for 4ohms. They had been re-coned with official Celestion re-cone kits.

Manufactured on 27 July 1973. Cab is a 1932A mid to late 70s. No other way to tell, but that is a guess since all insignia are gone. The only reason I say 1932A (which was a bass cab) is because the top left corner is lighter colored than the rest and might indicate that there was a "Bass" logo there until it fell off and got lost.

As far as I can tell from my research, the speakers at least are pretty rare. What do you reckon it’s worth?

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 17.19.56_a64784c9.jpg

image_2023-10-25_235542117.png

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-25 at 17.21.07_87531fde.jpg

Cheers good folks!

:)

Last edited:

RLW59

Reaction score
If you have insurance -- homeowner's or renter's -- you might want to check with your agent. They often want collectables to be declared on a rider. There's often no extra charge unless you have a lot of extra value items to declare.

When a house or apartment burns down, a tornado turns everything into splinters, a thief steals everything that wasn't nailed down, some people will claim that everything that was lost was priceless antiques.

They're much more likely to pay out on things they knew about before a claim is filed.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
"They had been re-coned with official Celestion re-cone kits."

Reconed speakers are reconed speakers. All vintage/collector's value to them is pretty much long gone. Granted, the original baskets are cool, but that's not what makes that classic sound.

The fact that genuine Celestion recone kits were used is good, but this still puts the speakers as being equal only to new speakers, and not to original vintage Celestions with their original cones.

The cabinet has vintage/collectible value, but sadly the speakers do not. Or very little at least.

79 2203

Reaction score
Great looking cab and I’d pay good money for one like that cause they’re very difficult to find in Australia. Unfortunalely the re-cones really hurts the tone, and therefore value of the speakers.

neikeel

Reaction score
Nice cab to have and use - best enjoyed.
Recones kill resale value on vintage market.
1935A is correct designation
Original cones would be 014 bass 55Hz resonance.
I have a couple of cabs with them.
Wonder if they used 003 lead cones?

Tatzmann

Reaction score
I've recently decided it is now an heirloom. So be it!

Got a GH100L too, nice amp!

Mine is down atm, it had actually quite some kinks that i had to repair which is actually unusual for these, they are normally rocksolid.

Good decision for keeping it.:yesway:

BygoneTones

Reaction score
The cab itself appears to be in good original condition, assuming no mods to the back panel. So it has that going for it. Much prefer to see them like that, than restored.

I'd be very tempted to swap the speakers for a set with original cones, then you would have something a bit more drool worthy.