My crazy idea....tools in hand *** WTF ***"

• Thread starter shredless
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

shredless

Reaction score
I really need to talk this out with someone and my therapist wouldn't understand so you MFers are going to have to do

So I have to preface this with it has to do with playing with myself and maybe even having others join in...

So I have this amp of my dreams right.. the white Marshall 22:03 anniversary half stack. I've been modding on it for years and I finally have it amazing... It's the best that its ever been I can plug right into it with no pedals get the hair metal tones the hard Rock the metal stuff that I'm after that's great...however...

When I plug into my HX stomp through a pair of powered PA speakers and have all the effects and all the tweaks that I want to have all the different tones at the push of a button all the different amp models it's really hard to go back to the Marshall.

Now a sane mind would say sell the Marshall and play your direct setup... But I'm far from sane and I don't want to do that... I'm also super creative.

Which brings me to this idea...
I want to remove the back off of the cabinet remove the g12h100s put them away somewhere and mount my powered PA speakers right inside the cab.
Then I want to slide the chassis out and build a new wooden chassis with a marshall face plate on it and knobs that in some way... at least the volume will connect to my HX stomp which will be mounted inside. I want the input jack to connect to the input of the HX . I'm going to run a midi cable to a midi floorboard to have switching capabilities. And from the back you'll be able to see that there's an HX stomp in there and a pair of f****** speakers.
But from the front it's all Marshall. I don't have to cut anything up I don't have to destroy anything.

I've always struggled with this amp versus modeler debacle. I don't know that I've ever seen anything like this done before and you got to admit that modeling has come so far that if big names are using it to do shows in arenas and putting them on records it can't be that bad.

I honestly can't pinpoint what is the reason that I can't plug into this amp and just play the s*** out of it but if I plug into the HX through the PA speakers it's exactly how I want it to sound and feel and I can play for hours...

Yes playing alone its great but will it work out with a band situation???

Yeah you'll never get that time back then it took you to read this but tell me your thoughts...

Kuga

Reaction score
Certenly I don't know but I think If you play with a fuc**ng loud drumer and a fuc**ng loud guitarrist your 2203 will cut the mix great.

shredless

Reaction score
no.
Get an MG100 head/412 set on the cheap and put your gizmos in that.
yer like “no”

l dont want a mg head and cab tho…and lm not doing it for show…shit no one sees me anyway…its just about what l see.

its just my brain out of work and bored

NumbSkull

Reaction score
I dont get why you want to break a perfectly good cab.
Just get a vintage authentically aged cab from ebay.
If you want to be weird and original use an old grandfather clock or antique TV etc.

Kendall124

Reaction score
I’ve got two cents worth. I love my Marshall half stack when playing with the band. At home, I run my Helix rack through my studio monitors. Great for recording and working on chops. I have some amazing presets. They sound so good.
I have even tried to run the helix into the effects return of my hundred watt head. This actually works pretty good when jamming as a three-piece. When I try to use that set up with another guitar player (four piece) and he has a tube amp, I absolutely disappear in the mix.

shredless

Reaction score
Holy F!!!

So lm high...thats all

After a week of using HX and Spark with my active speakers and really loving the variety l get ... I cranked up the 800 today and no comparison in tone. My JCM really just does one thing but that one thing is AMAZING!!

Disregard all that other BS... Tho l would like to do that project with another set of cabs some day

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I really need to talk this out with someone and my therapist wouldn't understand so you MFers are going to have to do

So I have to preface this with it has to do with playing with myself and maybe even having others join in...

So I have this amp of my dreams right.. the white Marshall 22:03 anniversary half stack. I've been modding on it for years and I finally have it amazing... It's the best that its ever been I can plug right into it with no pedals get the hair metal tones the hard Rock the metal stuff that I'm after that's great...however...

When I plug into my HX stomp through a pair of powered PA speakers and have all the effects and all the tweaks that I want to have all the different tones at the push of a button all the different amp models it's really hard to go back to the Marshall.

Now a sane mind would say sell the Marshall and play your direct setup... But I'm far from sane and I don't want to do that... I'm also super creative.

Which brings me to this idea...
I want to remove the back off of the cabinet remove the g12h100s put them away somewhere and mount my powered PA speakers right inside the cab.
Then I want to slide the chassis out and build a new wooden chassis with a marshall face plate on it and knobs that in some way... at least the volume will connect to my HX stomp which will be mounted inside. I want the input jack to connect to the input of the HX . I'm going to run a midi cable to a midi floorboard to have switching capabilities. And from the back you'll be able to see that there's an HX stomp in there and a pair of f****** speakers.
But from the front it's all Marshall. I don't have to cut anything up I don't have to destroy anything.

I've always struggled with this amp versus modeler debacle. I don't know that I've ever seen anything like this done before and you got to admit that modeling has come so far that if big names are using it to do shows in arenas and putting them on records it can't be that bad.

I honestly can't pinpoint what is the reason that I can't plug into this amp and just play the s*** out of it but if I plug into the HX through the PA speakers it's exactly how I want it to sound and feel and I can play for hours...

Yes playing alone its great but will it work out with a band situation???

Yeah you'll never get that time back then it took you to read this but tell me your thoughts...
I'm trying to understand this, so you want to install your HX gear inside a Marshall cab to make your HX gear look like a Marshall?

Just put your HX gear behind your Marshall when you play out, nobody will notice. Or build a custom Marshall half stack enclosure for your HX and not cannibalize your actual Marshall.