My Friend The Noodle Shamer

• Thread starter end user
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

EndGame00

Reaction score
That's what it's supposed to be about! Love of music and playing.

Competition has no place in music, aside from improving one's own playing IMHO.

Maybe the "competition" crowd has issues like not making the high school football team or something? :lol:

Hot shot teenage guitar players in the 80's were always with one another...walking around the school ground with a pointy electric guitar slung around... Man, I miss that decade....

Nik Henville

Reaction score
Eastern Seaboard, the nook-shotten isle of Albion
Yeah my buddy totally looks at guitar playing as a competition. I dont think I've ever seen him smile while playing either. On stage or at home.

I hate the competitive aspect of music - from classical students in competitions, through "Battle Of The Bands" to who can play fastest/loudest etc... Too many pissing contests, not enough enjoying playing. But one needs must tread carefully in this minefield, because "playing for pleasure" seems to piss off many pro musos - always puzzles me, but then, I am a nihilistic hedonist at heart...

EndGame00

Reaction score
I loved those "Battle of the Bands"... I remember my school held an event, and every single male students in bands signed up... :applause:... Each band were allowed to play maximum 4 songs... Everyone was playing metal... Moar Gainz! No Mids! All Slayer!

Poor judges/school faculty didn't know what to do :lol::lol::lol:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
a
Me too but in high school I didn’t play didn’t start till just after!

I wasn't worth a damn at sports, and didn't really have an interest in such..Probably a good thing too, since I was a runt in HS, and into music and the R&R lifestyle rather than footieball.

Kind of funny though, after HS I got into stuff like bodybuilding and martial arts (Actually martial arts was something I DID dig in HS, after all the Bruce Lee movies were all the rage then) But years after HS I would run into some of the jocks that used to give me a hard time back then, and they would be fat, bald, and working someplace like Lowes or stocking shelves in the local grocery store..And they usually looked much smaller than I remember them being in high school! :lol:

DaDoc

Reaction score
Rancho Deluxe, Montana..3rd stone from the sun
I loved those "Battle of the Bands"... I remember my school held an event, and every single male students in bands signed up... :applause:... Each band were allowed to play maximum 4 songs... Everyone was playing metal... Moar Gainz! No Mids! All Slayer!

Poor judges/school faculty didn't know what to do :lol::lol::lol:

I was in a battle of the bands..Once.

It pretty much sucked, and was rigged from the get-go..We didn't win, but made the finals (it was a two-part deal) And I don't say it sucked because we didn't place, it sucked because they passed over an incredible non-local band (not us) there who did all original stuff for the local dipshit top 40 cover band who just happened to be buddies with the judges. The non-local guys were wayyy better than any of the rest of us IMHO.

Last edited:

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
a

I wasn't worth a damn at sports, and didn't really have an interest in such..Probably a good thing too, since I was a runt in HS, and into music and the R&R lifestyle rather than footieball.

Kind of funny though, after HS I got into stuff like bodybuilding and martial arts (Actually martial arts was something I DID dig in HS, after all the Bruce Lee movies were all the rage then) But years after HS I would run into some of the jocks that used to give me a hard time back then, and they would be fat, bald, and working someplace like Lowes or stocking shelves in the local grocery store..And they usually looked much smaller than I remember them being in high school! :lol:
Ain’t that the truth, only sport I was any good at in hs was motocross, surfing, not a sport at my HS ! Cheers Mitch

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score

It pretty much sucked, and was rigged from the get-go..We didn't win, but made the finals (it was a two-part deal) And I don't say it sucked because we didn't place, it sucked because they passed over an incredible non-local band (not us) there who did all original stuff for the local dipshit top 40 cover band who just happened to be buddies with the judges. The non-local guys were wayyy better than any of the rest of us IMHO.
The only battle of the bands we were ever in was a Sunday night, at Gazzaris in hollyweird, no winners where ever announced, but the crowd reaction is what got you another night, we got a wed. night and when I went to get our pay it was like 20$. I told the band that gazzaris could go f&@k themselves, 3/4 of the crowd where our people?

end user

Reaction score
a

I didnt participate in any high school related stuff. I did play independent baseball and actually was pretty good at it and played into my 20's, was scouted by 3 Major League teams but I digress. I was too busy in high school with girls and selling joints in the smoking area..

MarshallDog

Reaction score
a

Yes, it seems all the popular hot chics and the "cool" dudes are all now fat a phugly...I had a great time at my reunions. My wife is hot, I'm in shape and these a holes who were sooo cool are complete turds and you couldn't pay me to screw the once hot chic...nope!

EndGame00

Reaction score

My band competed twice at a school event, twice at a local event... We bagged 1st runner up because our bassist slept with one of the judges... It pays when you "know" people.... We hardly attract crowds when we decided to hit the local scene in the late '89 to early 90's... Damn grunge music killed us...

end user

Reaction score
My band competed twice at a school event, twice at a local event... We bagged 1st runner up because our bassist slept with one of the judges... It pays when you "know" people.... We hardly attract crowds when we decided to hit the local scene in the late '89 to early 90's... Damn grunge music killed us...

Ahh I know how that feels. When the band I was in moved to Florida back in the early 90's to try and get signed we ended up playing at the Tampa Bay Metal Awards at that big dome place near the bridge in Tampa Bay (Cant remember it's name) Our drummers Mom lived down there and was sleeping with the promoter. We had no business being on that stage (talent-wise) but it was awesome to be on a Pro stage in front of thousands of people and we actually got a couple killer mosh pits going. Didnt get paid a dime but it's a memory that will go to my grave with me.

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
Back when I had to try and be the lead guitarist, I would see them at every gig we played, a lot of times the same guys, and all I ever did was improvise the damm solo, because it was always out of my reach, and would just smile and play on! Cheers Mitch
when we played the clubs in Hollywood/LA, there was always a bunch of people w/ their arms crossed/folded looking intent like "impress me"...

Someone told me, that, it was like they were studying us, but IDK...

I guess if that's the case, then it was a good reaction, but, when they are all staring you down, it makes for no audience reaction & feed.

LA can be a hard crowd, although, it seems that, when I go to concerts, they are all lightweights & just can't STFU, because the concert is about them, not the band. I mean, I'm all about people having a good time, but, when you are making a scene & disrupting everything, it's not fair to those who paid to actually watch the show, not just have it as background noise for your party...

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
when we played the clubs in Hollywood/LA, there was always a bunch of people w/ their arms crossed/folded looking intent like "impress me"...

I guess if that's the case, then it was a good reaction, but, when they are all staring you down, it makes for no audience reaction & feed.

LA can be a hard crowd, although, it seems that, when I go to concerts, they are all lightweights & just can't STFU, because the concert is about them, not the band. I mean, I'm all about people having a good time, but, when you are making a scene & disrupting everything, it's not fair to those who paid to actually watch the show, not just have it as background noise for your party...
I completely understand and agree with you buddy.
I had by 1984 never played in a club again, but it was a fun bit for the little time we had.
It was not about money to us, but the middle of the week gigs sucked period, get home at 3:00AM and go to work at 5:00 AM was not my cup of tea.
I know I got off track here, but all the naysayers, and rock stars with their arms crossed, made me smile ...
Cheers
Mitch

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Play the way you want to. If you want to get really good you'll have to put a lot of time into practicing. If you're a bit more casual and are "good enough" to suit you, then you're doing just fine the way you are.

Yes, absolutely, if I had decided in 1985 that I wanted to be one of the most incredible guitarists ever to walk the earth, I'd have started a disciplined practice habit, four to eight, even more hours a day and stayed at it. But that's so far from what I want out of the guitar that it isn't even funny. In truth I can barely carry a tune in a bucket and my repertoire can be played through in a matter of minutes but OH WELL. It's the skill level I've earned by the practice I have been willing to commit myself to. I don't need anybody to encourage me to noodle less and practice more if that's not MY goal, and neither should you.

I have no shortage of lesson materials to review. I have ready access to instruction. I have the time for it. And I do exactly as much of those things as I choose to. Not a bit more, not a bit less.

Make your own choices. What you want to get really good at is your choice, and it will require a big educational commitment. If that's not the guitar, then that's up to you.

Sapient

 
Reaction score

What clubs you play, DOOM?