My Home Studio

• Thread starter Marshion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Marshion

Reaction score
The thread 'Where does your Marshall sit in your home studio?' got me thinking about posting a more complete tour of my little basement studio. I'm blessed with some nice equipment; my most recent addition is the Nord Stage 3. I started off running it through a QSC CP12. Its output is stereo, however, and adding a second powered speaker really makes a difference. The Stage 3 has organ, piano, and synthesizer panels and can make just about any sound I can imagine. I'm having a grand time learning its capabilities. It will keep me busy until the day I die, which is hopefully at least a couple decades away.

Nord Keyboard.jpg
The mixer is a Yamaha MG10XU 10-channel with a nice bank of FX. I run a Boss RC 10R for drums; it sounds good through the QSCs. I'm too lazy to set up a drum track in Logic Pro (or EZ Drummer, both of which are on my workstation). It's just easy to click around the drum machine and find a groove I want to play with. I don't keep any of my pedals on the floor as I mess with the settings enough to not want to get on my knees.

Speaking of the workstation, its an iMac 24. The computer has enough processing power to handle my recording. I'm still a complete noob with recording, mixing, mastering, etc. I used Garage Band long enough to convince myself to go with Logic Pro. It is a powerful software package and the value is hard to beat. I use two different headphones for recording. When I want to concentrate on a single track, I use a pair of closed-back Sony MDR 7506 and when I want to mix I go with the open headphones (Byerdynamic DT990 Pro). Both are comfortable for an hour or more. The DAW is a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and the studio monitors are ADAM Studio T5V. Both get the job done well. I never try to record more than two instruments at a time so the DAW is adequate.

Work Station.jpg

My microphones are the venerable Shure SM58 and SM57. The 57 is for recording my guitars through the Marshall. I've not been able to duplicate the growl of my DSL 40CR running the guitar clean into the DAW and then adding effects later. I can get highly satisfactory results with reverb, chorus, and all the other 'clean' effects. But the dirty growl is best captured through the microphone. My other microphone is a Shure Super 55. That thing makes me look like a star but it is basically an SM58 in a fancy chrome housing.

Clean Tone Studio 1.jpg

Oh, the workstation table is a Husky workbench. It is height adjustable but I always have it at the highest position. The drawers hold all my extra cables, batteries, picks, tools, and other doo dads. The white board enables me to capture my ideas. I'm sure you'll appreciate my musical genius if you look at what I've written there.

Clean Tone Studio 2.jpg

The amps and pedals are framed by a skinny little table I found on Amazon. As I mentioned, I don't like bending over to mess with the pedals so I keep them up there. The Boss DS-1 I've had forever. The Hendrix Fuzz Face by Dunlop is a little touchy; not very sophisticated but if I'm patient I can find some nice tones with it. The Sidekick is a rich pedal with reverb, delay, and a flanger/chorus. It's really versatile and I have barely scratched the surface of it; my son knows it much better than I. He can make some otherworldly sounds from it. The trio+ is another creative tool that I love. Before getting the Nord, this little pedal was my source of inspiration for bass guitar tracks. It is a terrific machine; play rhythm guitar into it and it prepares bass and drum tracks in 16 different genres with 8 variations per genre; it also offers 4/4 and 3/4 time. There's a bit of a learning curve; I was highly motivated when I got it and have managed to hang onto the knowledge needed to use it.

Amps and Pedals.jpg

The Marshall amp is well known to members of this forum. I find it to be highly versatile. The two guitars I bang into it can go anywhere I want them to. Despite the Crybaby and Fuzz Face, I don't sound like Hendrix. But a boy can dream. The Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb is a great amp as well. The built in attenuator is nice.

These guitars are sublime. The strat is an Eric Johnson signature model. The color is the weirdly named Lucerne Aqua Firemist with Rosewood Fingerboard. The Gretsch is the Brian Setzer Smoke 59 model. Both guitars are a thousand times better than I am. My son will inherit them.

Guitars 1.jpg

The Taylor acoustic is a 214 (base) model made in 2004 in their California production facility. It's a great little acoustic. I keep it in my home office and play it a little every day.

Guitars 2.jpg

Thanks for taking this little tour of Clean Tone Studio! I hope you enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
Nice space to get away from everything else and just be you.

I still think a Strat...or Tele...with a bound neck is just WEIRD. Alway unexpected.

Marshion

Reaction score
Nice space to get away from everything else and just be you.

I still think a Strat...or Tele...with a bound neck is just WEIRD. Alway unexpected.
I agree! My EJ Strat almost doesn’t look like a Strat. The body and color gets it in the club, but it is unique. It sure sounds and plays like a Strat, though. I find the build quality and components of this guitar to rival custom shop rigs that cost almost twice as much.

Keysdweller

Reaction score
The thread 'Where does your Marshall sit in your home studio?' got me thinking about posting a more complete tour of my little basement studio. I'm blessed with some nice equipment; my most recent addition is the Nord Stage 3. I started off running it through a QSC CP12. Its output is stereo, however, and adding a second powered speaker really makes a difference. The Stage 3 has organ, piano, and synthesizer panels and can make just about any sound I can imagine. I'm having a grand time learning its capabilities. It will keep me busy until the day I die, which is hopefully at least a couple decades away.

View attachment 137552
The mixer is a Yamaha MG10XU 10-channel with a nice bank of FX. I run a Boss RC 10R for drums; it sounds good through the QSCs. I'm too lazy to set up a drum track in Logic Pro (or EX Drummer, both of which are on my workstation). It's just easy to click around the drum machine and find a groove I want to play with. I don't keep any of my pedals on the floor as I mess with the settings enough to not want to get on my knees.

Speaking of the workstation, its an iMac 24. The computer has enough processing power to handle my recording. I'm still a complete noob with recording, mixing, mastering, etc. I used Garage Band long enough to convince myself to go with Logic Pro. It is a powerful software package and the value is hard to beat. I use two different headphones for recording. When I want to concentrate on a single track, I use a pair of closed-back Sony MDR 7506 and when I want to mix I go with the open headphones (Byerdynamic DT990 Pro). Both are comfortable for an hour or more. The DAW is a Focusrite Scarlett 8i6 and the studio monitors are ADAM Studio T5V. Both get the job done well. I never try to record more than two instruments at a time so the DAW is adequate.

View attachment 137553

My microphones are the venerable Shure SM58 and SM57. The 57 is for recording my guitars through the Marshall. I've not been able to duplicate the growl of my DSL 40CR running the guitar clean into the DAW and then adding effects later. I can get highly satisfactory results with reverb, chorus, and all the other 'clean' effects. But the dirty growl is best captured through the microphone. My other microphone is a Shure Super 55. That thing makes me look like a star but it is basically an SM58 in a fancy chrome housing.

View attachment 137554

Oh, the workstation table is a Husky workbench. It is height adjustable but I always have it at the highest position. The drawers hold all my extra cables, batteries, picks, tools, and other doo dads. The wihite boards enable me to capture my ideas. I'm sure you'll appreciate my musical genius if you look at what I've written there.

View attachment 137556

The amps and pedals are framed by a skinny little table I found on Amazon. As I mentioned, I don't like bending over to mess with the pedals so I keep them up there. The Boss DS-1 I've had forever. The Hendrix Fuzz Face by Dunlop is a little touchy; not very sophisticated but if I'm patient I can find some nice tones with it. The Sidekick is a rich pedal with reverb, delay, and a flanger/chorus. It's really versatile and I have barely scratched the surface of it; my son knows it much better than I. He can make some otherworldly sounds from it. The trio+ is another creative tool that I love. Before getting the Nord, this little pedal was my source of inspiration for bass guitar tracks. It is a terrific machine; play rhythm guitar into it and it prepares bass and drum tracks in 16 different genres with 8 variations per genre; it also offers 4/4 and 3/4 time. There's a bit of a learning curve; I was highly motivated when I got it and have managed to hang onto the knowledge needed to use it.

View attachment 137559

The Marshall amp is well known to members of this forum. I find it to be highly versatile. The two guitars I bang into it can go anywhere I want them to. Despite the Crybaby and Fuzz Face, I don't sound like Hendrix. But a boy can dream. The Fender Tone Master Twin Reverb is a great amp as well. The built in attenuator is nice.

These guitars are sublime. The strat is an Eric Johnson signature model. The color is the weirdly named Lucerne Aqua Firemist with Rosewood Fingerboard. The Gretsch is the Brian Setzer Smoke 59 model. Both guitars are a thousand times better than I am. My son will inherit them.

View attachment 137560

The Taylor acoustic is a 214 (base) model made in 2004 in their California production facility. It's a great little acoustic. I keep it in my home office and play it a little every day.

View attachment 137561

What is the size of the room? Looks like a nice size room.

Derrick111

Reaction score

View attachment 137552
The mixer is a Yamaha MG10XU 10-channel with a nice bank of FX. I run a Boss RC 10R for drums; it sounds good through the QSCs. I'm too lazy to set up a drum track in Logic Pro (or EX Drummer, both of which are on my workstation). It's just easy to click around the drum machine and find a groove I want to play with. I don't keep any of my pedals on the floor as I mess with the settings enough to not want to get on my knees.

View attachment 137553

View attachment 137554

Oh, the workstation table is a Husky workbench. It is height adjustable but I always have it at the highest position. The drawers hold all my extra cables, batteries, picks, tools, and other doo dads. The wihite boards enable me to capture my ideas. I'm sure you'll appreciate my musical genius if you look at what I've written there.

View attachment 137556

View attachment 137559

View attachment 137560

View attachment 137561

Really nice, cozy space and I like the selection and choices of gear you have! All you need to do pretty much anything.

I've been at it a while and love to record. Here is my tracking space (control room not pictured). That's Brian Baker from Minor Threat/Bad Religion on guitar (I'm playing bass on this one):

a.jpgb.jpg

Marshion

Reaction score
Really nice, cozy space and I like the selection and choices of gear you have! All you need to do pretty much anything.

I've been at it a while and love to record. Here is my tracking space (control room not pictured). That's Brian Baker from Minor Threat/Bad Religion on guitar (I'm playing bass on this one):

View attachment 137850View attachment 137851
Wow! That looks like the real deal! Thanks for sharing the pics. Your post reminds me I gotta put a tape measure to the space per my earlier post.

Derrick111

Reaction score
Wow! That looks like the real deal! Thanks for sharing the pics. Your post reminds me I gotta put a tape measure to the space per my earlier post.
Thank you! It looks impressive, but it's actually just pretty modest recording equipment. The biggest factor for me was to resist all the sexy hardware that makes us all drool, like ridiculous compressors and preamps, and put a fraction of that money into sound panels/control instead (which you can see in the photos). This accounted for the biggest bump in both my recorded sound, and my enjoyment playing in that space. A properly treated room, modest mics/recording equipment, and some recording knowledge is all you really need for great results.

Last edited:

Keysdweller

Reaction score

View attachment 137850View attachment 137851
Very Nice. Is that in a downstairs basement?

Derrick111

Reaction score
Very Nice. Is that in a downstairs basement?
Yep, just cinder block walls, cement floors, and pulled the drop-down ceiling out to reveal the rafters which gives more room and acts as some diffusion. Some pieces of home center industrial grey carpet on the floor, and proper sound panels strategically placed make this sound as good as any commercial studio I've been in. I can record in or out of the box completely because I have a fully analog front end which is then captured by a hard disk recorder, so best of both worlds (analog sound/digital capture). I used to record to tape, but with the front end being completely analog, I honestly don't miss tape. It doesn't have to be expensive. I think the biggest thing is committing that much space in your house to being a studio, and making smart choices in equipment and sound control.