My Jcm800 Story

• Thread starter Thrashman93
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last year I was on the hunt for a JCM800 and I'd like to share what I found and what I discovered later about it.
I found a craigslist post in my neck of the woods of a guy selling a 1982 JCM800 4010 in 2017 and set up a time to visit the guy about the amp at a guitarcenter. We met up and I noticed it was a little beat-up but not horrible; as if it served it's purpose of gigging over the years which is a plus. It worked great at guitarcenter. Sounded good. Had original filter caps, drake OT, Drake choke, Drake Power Tranny. Unmodded. Etc. So I bought it. And played with it several months and over those months I noticed some weird things about it: It had master volume knob static when changing the volume, it hummed the entire time being on and warming up, the preamp volume had the same static and audio cut-out as the MV knob. It had preamp tube hiss, it would squeal at volume 2 and above even without striking the strings, it was very bright, the power tubes would light up like a roman candle and the sound would cut real low.
So after the issues stacked-up, I found a local amp tech and handed it to him. He then found the issues with this amp: 1. The power transformer was wired with wrong guage wire and cut and spliced together with electrical tape and routed OUTSIDE the chassi and back through the back; without using the grommets to run wires through and the only thing preventing it from touching the chassi metal was one strip of electrical tape. 2. There was NO bias set; no bias resistor at all. 3. There was ONE 25 amp house fuse that was bypassed. 4. The tube that would turn into a roman candle stick with electric was actually plugged into a HANGING tube socket internally; it was almost disconnected completely.
Shorten the story a bit--definitely had him fix the internals and he was able to save the original power tranny. New electro harmonix power tubes, only needed a new preamp tube which is now a NOS mesa boogie preamp tube. Has the appropriate .3 amp and 5 amp fuses. Bias resistor back in place. New JJ bran capacitors. Properly biased. Tube socket snugly fit. No more wires and horrible amp-killing wire job.

Conclusion: I have an electronically fixed to spec Marshall 1982 JCM800 4010 with original pcb, original transformers and chokes. I even managed to find a 1960B cab with it last week for only $300 bucks.

*photos aren't uploading for some reason*
Check out my Instagram for what it sounded like before the servicing and with an evm12l: cam_i_am2015

Dmann

Reaction score
How much did the repairs total in cost? Doesn't sound like a lot of work but time.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Hello all,

Last year I was on the hunt for a JCM800 and I'd like to share what I found and what I discovered later about it.
I found a craigslist post in my neck of the woods of a guy selling a 1982 JCM800 4010 in 2017 and set up a time to visit the guy about the amp at a guitarcenter. We met up and I noticed it was a little beat-up but not horrible; as if it served it's purpose of gigging over the years which is a plus. It worked great at guitarcenter. Sounded good. Had original filter caps, drake OT, Drake choke, Drake Power Tranny. Unmodded. Etc. So I bought it. And played with it several months and over those months I noticed some weird things about it: It had master volume knob static when changing the volume, it hummed the entire time being on and warming up, the preamp volume had the same static and audio cut-out as the MV knob. It had preamp tube hiss, it would squeal at volume 2 and above even without striking the strings, it was very bright, the power tubes would light up like a roman candle and the sound would cut real low.
So after the issues stacked-up, I found a local amp tech and handed it to him. He then found the issues with this amp: 1. The power transformer was wired with wrong guage wire and cut and spliced together with electrical tape and routed OUTSIDE the chassi and back through the back; without using the grommets to run wires through and the only thing preventing it from touching the chassi metal was one strip of electrical tape. 2. There was NO bias set; no bias resistor at all. 3. There was ONE 25 amp house fuse that was bypassed. 4. The tube that would turn into a roman candle stick with electric was actually plugged into a HANGING tube socket internally; it was almost disconnected completely.
Shorten the story a bit--definitely had him fix the internals and he was able to save the original power tranny. New electro harmonix power tubes, only needed a new preamp tube which is now a NOS mesa boogie preamp tube. Has the appropriate .3 amp and 5 amp fuses. Bias resistor back in place. New JJ bran capacitors. Properly biased. Tube socket snugly fit. No more wires and horrible amp-killing wire job.

Conclusion: I have an electronically fixed to spec Marshall 1982 JCM800 4010 with original pcb, original transformers and chokes. I even managed to find a 1960B cab with it last week for only $300 bucks.

*photos aren't uploading for some reason*
Check out my Instagram for what it sounded like before the servicing and with an evm12l: cam_i_am2015

Did you plug it in and try it before you bought it? Open it and look at it?

Thrashman93

Reaction score
Did you plug it in and try it before you bought it? Open it and look at it?
Yes we plugged it in and it worked fine at volume 4 in the store last year.
But
No. I never took it to a tech after until the first recently. I didn't open it either. My mistake. But none the less. I lucked out. It runs like a beast now. Fresh beast from the 80's.

EastTexas

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great amp now. Glad your tech spotted the problems before somebody got killed! Congrats.

80sTone

Reaction score
Always good idea to get a qualified tech to look over those 80s amps. I did the same but did not need as much work, once set right those 800's are a beast for life.

Keefoman

Reaction score
Getting it for 200 dollars, I still would say you did a good deal. Good for you!

Try using a third party host for easy pic uploading, like flickr or imgur. Load the pic up to your host, and simply copy the the link you get when you push the share button. Use the BBcode link for forums. :)

Thrashman93

Reaction score
Yeah I didn't even know it had those issues. The tech told me it risked the amp and even me playing. He said if I cranked it up it could have ruined it and me.

Amp was $800 in that unknown condition. But only $200 for repairing it.

It really does rock like a beast. Sounds awesome. Exact tone I like to hear!

Thrashman93

Reaction score
Always good idea to get a qualified tech to look over those 80s amps. I did the same but did not need as much work, once set right those 800's are a beast for life.
It's safe and sound now. Just not in perfect shape. Like it matter. Chassi is a chassi. Combo amp box is all good. Circuitry un-modded. Runs good. Just signs of what 32+ years does to stuff on the outside.

Thrashman93

Reaction score
Sounds like you have a great amp now. Glad your tech spotted the problems before somebody got killed! Congrats.
He was gonna replace the OT with a classictone replacement but didn't need to. He just needed to wrap the correct guage wire and route it appropriately after opening it up.
Definitely runs great with my gibson flying V and the g12t-75 cab and most of the time with a BOSS SD-1 boost.

MarshallDog

Reaction score
Great story and price for that amp. Glad you got it fixed up before you got electrocuted!!!

200w.gif

Thrashman93

Reaction score
Great story and price for that amp. Glad you got it fixed up before you got electrocuted!!!

200w.gif
Yeah I would have paid less if I knew it was half broken like that.

Guess I was lucky. Meant to have it. Would have been a drag if it blew and ruined a vintage amp