My kid playing his 5th grade talent show. He has amp anxiety with his DSL40C

• Thread starter Vin'sdad
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

gkelm

Reaction score
Nice!! Kid has style…playin the audience already!

Proud dad you are!

Keysdweller

Reaction score
This is my son's talent show performance. The "roadie" didn't place his switch down and somehow the dirty channel lost about 20% of it's volume. Also, they started the backing track and then stopped/restarted it. That messed up his intro timing. The amp worked great anyways. He loves the tone he gets from it. Check it out:

Remember, he's 11 years old. This is at his elementary school auditorium. He's got more stuff on the channel. Thanks.

Very nice. I know you're proud.

bhatta

Reaction score
Such a treat for ears coming from such young fingers. Great to see him rock it!
You should be proud.

All the best to him for his future

KidBlast

Reaction score
He did a great job! Love to see where he goes with this in a few years, and I hope he sticks with it!
Wasn't his fault his setup got messed up, but he handled the adversity like a pro. That's saying something!

thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Around 15 years ago when our little boy was in high school, he put together a band with 2 guys from his school and another kid from another school across town.

So they played the talent shows at both schools. I don't remember what happened at his school- but at DJ's school... First- this school is across town- they know pretty much NOBODY except DJ at the school. DJ was a pretty shy guy- not exceptionally outgoing and apparently not particularly known at his own school. With that out of the way- there were several little girls singing heartfelt songs on acoustic- full-on Taylor Swift girls... it was adorable. The other thing I remember was a shredder kid. He was really good. He was walking around the stage, playing by himself, effortlessly. He was really really good.

Then the little boy's band was up. They are the only "band" playing this nite. Junior is playing my 78 50w Marshall half stack, Logan has a nice drum set, and DJ has a decent 2x10 bass combo. They played a pretty rockin' and energetic version of the song "Down" by Jay Sean. The weirdest thing happened- a couple of kids go down in front of the stage. And then more kids go down to the front, and next thing you know, there's a big gaggle of kids jumping around and dancing to a band playing a song they knew.

Junior's band won the talent show.

Walking out of there, I'm hearing parents totally seething and BITCHING about these "ringer kids," these kids don't even go to this school, that kid playing that "garage queen Marshall"... it was bordering on me wondering if we should be worried about the kids. There was no fix. We didn't pay off the judges. My Marshall is beat to shit.

It's a simple lesson of a universal truth. Play songs your audience likes + Make the girlies dance= you win.

jaallen

Reaction score
The kid has got it, no doubt. Really good to see. Congrats. Have him really work on a signature vibrato, intonation focus, that will throw him over the top. E Gales would blush!

Vin'sdad

Reaction score
So, my kid has a gig playing at a fire station tomorrow. He's gonna play Free "Fire and Water" and then prolly Fastway Say What You will and maybe Europa again. I gotta move the amp around. Dammit!

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
So, my kid has a gig playing at a fire station tomorrow. He's gonna play Free "Fire and Water" and then prolly Fastway Say What You will and maybe Europa again. I gotta move the amp around. Dammit!
has Vin been introduced to Gary Moore? if not, time to start... :)...

I think he'll like it.

Vin'sdad

Reaction score
He has. He's very particular about what songs he gets into. I'm sure he'll evolve as he grows up, but he solidly picks the one's he likes. He's kinda on a foghat kick right now. I have known many people who cannot make a slide sound decent, but he plays driving wheel and Stone blue note for note. It took him like a week or so to figure them out, compared to the few hours most songs take him.

Cal Nevari

Reaction score
This is my son's talent show performance. The "roadie" didn't place his switch down and somehow the dirty channel lost about 20% of it's volume. Also, they started the backing track and then stopped/restarted it. That messed up his intro timing. The amp worked great anyways. He loves the tone he gets from it. Check it out:

Remember, he's 11 years old. This is at his elementary school auditorium. He's got more stuff on the channel. Thanks.

Absolutely awesome! Please pass along congratulations on fantastic sound and amazing chops!