• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

My Latest Designed Modded Marshall.

• Thread starter NewReligion
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Pretty much yes, and I failed to mention I also have a GR Harvard clone that Terry built for me that has a glorious clean tone and is an excellent pedal platform. I've also acquired a few LPs in recent years. I'm pretty much set. Never in my wildest dreams, lol!
Great to hear. Life is a great adventure. Even better with great tone & axe’s.

D

Phoenix1

Reaction score
This is on a 1979 100 watt 2203.

4 stages of gain, non cathode follower. I inserted a 12VAC transformer & populated a DC Heater PCB I designed in Altium. I had 5 Metro loops in stock so I just popped one in instead of populating & using one of my own designed LND150 buffered loops.

Thanks for stopping by. Kind regards, David Hopkins

That has "the sound" its Perfect ! I am very impressed. I have two factory Marshall stacks and no way I can get them sounding like that ! I built two and same, they sound good but a long way from that one of yours. I have hesitated modding mine but I guess that is the plan ! Not being a big electronics wiz and have no idea what you are talking about but wish I did. Speaking honestly here I know a little, enough to build from a layout and startin to understand chasing through schematics answering my own questions buy the theory behind what you;are doing is what I am lacking. But all I can say is FANTASTIC JOB !

vivanchenko

Reaction score

4 stages of gain, non cathode follower.
What's are the benefits of anode driven tone stack? I noticed that some amps have it, including the Origins, the Peavey Windsor, some Traynor models and some Orange amps. I once modded a vintage Traynor from anode to cathode driven tone stack and didn't notice any difference. I am not a high gain player though. Guess it's somehow beneficial for high gain amps?

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
That has "the sound" its Perfect ! I am very impressed. I have two factory Marshall stacks and no way I can get them sounding like that ! I built two and same, they sound good but a long way from that one of yours. I have hesitated modding mine but I guess that is the plan ! Not being a big electronics wiz and have no idea what you are talking about but wish I did. Speaking honestly here I know a little, enough to build from a layout and startin to understand chasing through schematics answering my own questions buy the theory behind what you;are doing is what I am lacking. But all I can say is FANTASTIC JOB !
Thank you for the great words.

Stay with it as we all start somewhere. You are correct to educate yourself by reading schematics. I still spend hours reading schematics.

I suggest dedicating on build with a turret board for easy installation & replacement of components as you further your studies.

David

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
What's are the benefits of anode driven tone stack? I noticed that some amps have it, including the Origins, the Peavey Windsor, some Traynor models and some Orange amps. I once modded a vintage Traynor from anode to cathode driven tone stack and didn't notice any difference. I am not a high gain player though. Guess it's somehow beneficial for high gain amps?
Great question.

It frees up the cathode follower in order to use that side of the 12AX7 as a gain stage so we do not need to punch and drill holes on a chassis to add an additional tube should someone decide to return the amp to stock.

David

NewReligion

VIP Member
Reaction score
Has George Lynch heard this by any chance? The tone sounds right down his alley.
Thank you for your great feedback. George certainly is one of my all time favorites. I discovered George & Warren about the same time early in 1984.

George has many amps like most of us but I usually play over my personnel Divergents which I built/modded.

David

myklomaniac

Reaction score

4 stages of gain, non cathode follower. I inserted a 12VAC transformer & populated a DC Heater PCB I designed in Altium. I had 5 Metro loops in stock so I just popped one in instead of populating & using one of my own designed LND150 buffered loops.

Thanks for stopping by. Kind regards, David Hopkins

Proof positive that you can never have too many Marshalls.

jspete64

Reaction score
That sounds great..Nice work!!.I currently have an EVH Stealth 50 watt,and awhile back,Howard Kaplan,the designer of the EVH amps was offering a mod,which I found out is just a .47 bright cap across the gain pot on the blue channel..I know those amps probably aren’t your wheelhouse,but was wondering if you could tell me what that would do?….just make it brighter?..like a bright cap on a Marshall?