• We are looking to make improvements to the Classifieds! Help us determine what improvements we can make by filling out this classifieds survey. Your feedback is very appreciated and helpful!

Take survey

N.a.d. Marshall Astoria Custom

• Thread starter Deep Purple fan
  • Start date
  • This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links like Ebay, Amazon, and others.

PU239

Reaction score
When I first saw them when it first came out I did think it was racing stripe inspired.

Sadly Chris moved on. If you ever feel like a black head cab, Sourmash can do a small or large plexi box. They did mine for $220.

A little more about the boutique thing. Chris was talking about American boutique builds but I know Chris does not consider Friedman amps to be boutique amps.He hated that term, but it was his job to make the people interviewing him happy.

I am not sure when the DS was made, Astoria was made some years before Marshall launched it. I have video of the amp going back to 2013. You are correct in comparing the two. I agree the voice is different but both are based off hot rodded Marshall's, both very high quality.

It is an amp that should last you well over 50 years

jcm800gridlock

Reaction score
OP, congrats on the Astoria.

I own an Astoria Custom combo. Had it for probably 6 months. It is my number one amp with the new band and it only sounds better as the speaker and electronics get some more use. Also owned the Astoria Dual for a while, but returned it on a Black Friday deal on a Marshall 1962hw Bluesbreaker. I kind of wish that I still owned the Astoria Dual over the B.B. because of the Astoria’s MV.

I also owned two Dirty Shirley 40 watt combos. Loved the first DS which I bought new but later returned, bought a second used Dirty Shirley a year or so later (after getting back into a new band) and I didn’t care for the amp’s overdrive. Maybe it was a bad tube or another issue with the used DS (just needing serviced), but returned it anyway.

The Astoria’s overdrive seems smoother to my ears than the DS. The DS seemed to be easier/quicker to dial-in than the Astoria.

Note that the Astoria Dual has a lot less overdrive on tap VS the Custom.

Last edited:

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
Sadly Chris moved on. If you ever feel like a black head cab, Sourmash can do a small or large plexi box. They did mine for $220.

A little more about the boutique thing. Chris was talking about American boutique builds but I know Chris does not consider Friedman amps to be boutique amps.He hated that term, but it was his job to make the people interviewing him happy.

I am not sure when the DS was made, Astoria was made some years before Marshall launched it. I have video of the amp going back to 2013. You are correct in comparing the two. I agree the voice is different but both are based off hot rodded Marshall's, both very high quality.

It is an amp that should last you well over 50 years

You provide very interesting insights into all of this. Much appreciated. I may someday go for a Plexi style headbox. I'm ok with the red for now. do you have any insights on how well they sold. They are obviously pricey but compared to similar quality amps they are not out of bounds at all. Critics cite the appearance and the price as the lines downfall. I don't consider either show stoppers. what's your theory?

PU239

Reaction score
You provide very interesting insights into all of this. Much appreciated. I may someday go for a Plexi style headbox. I'm ok with the red for now. do you have any insights on how well they sold. They are obviously pricey but compared to similar quality amps they are not out of bounds at all. Critics cite the appearance and the price as the lines downfall. I don't consider either show stoppers. what's your theory?

Marshall does not make sales information public as far as units sold unless it was a limited edition run. What I do know is Japan bought many of them, they seemed the most excited about them. Many people over look the Japanese but they have some very gifted players and Marshall is HUGE is Japan. Having the Astoria is a badge of honor earned over there. They sold sporadically everywhere else. Retailers do not like to carry expensive inventory in their stores, it ties up money. This is why so many will never have the luxury of trying one.

When they launched Marshall has to rely on Retailers to order through the distributor. This is where promotion is so important. If Astoria does not make a huge first impression then retailers will be reluctant to order several 3k amps. The first impression was Nick Bowcott staying with the 85dB limit at NAMM playing some metal licks, like I said, I like Nick, he is a good guy but he was the wrong guy. There also (believe it or not) were those at Marshall that could of cared less if Astoria sold at all. Still part of the infighting that plagued them since Jim's passing.

The Astoria was never going to be a big money maker for Marshall, but it was supposed to be a big 'fuck you' to all the people who were bad mouthing the company for quality of products. Then suddenly when Marshall brings out a top quality product and expects to sell it for the same as other companies with similar products, those same people start whinging about the price.

The Astoria amps were designed to boutique standards inasmuch as the components are very generously overated for reliability. Also, The output transformer uses high grade laminations for better audio spec and less saturation in the core. Steve personally speced out and requested CTS pots that start their track from 3% rotation instead of around 10% and tested the samples on his Strat (What better way to test them?) Some of these pots, i.e. the Master Volume and the Edge were 'no load' versions so when they are turned to maximum they are actually out of circuit.

No crappy plastic nut jack sockets or switches either. Steve wanted to go with a nice unique footswitch too but Marshall blocked it.

I don't know if the Astoria line will ever get the appreciation its due, I just know the people that have them are very happy.

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Message to Marshall: You killed it with that amp. It’s without question an exceptional amp. Relaunch it with these improvements. Put it in a tradition 1960s headbox. This helps because people love that look and it will look great on a 1936 or 1960 cab. ÔIf the buyer has one he won’t need to buy a 1x12. Drop the Astoria name. It means nothing. You can get away calling it Classic, Custom and dual Custom. It is expensive but it is also competing against Friedman.

If you come across an Astoria, don’t miss the chance to play it. It’s an amazing amp.
This is just my personal opinion, but when I first saw the Astoria line, I immediately did not like the looks of the amp(s), from the silver front panel to the gaudy (IMO) tolex designs. Maybe I'm stuck in time, but I like the looks of a traditional Marshall. Had they presented it in the traditional Marshall styling, I'm guessing it could have been a different story. Again, just my opinion.

Last edited:

el_bastardo

Reaction score
I think the looks are the best thing about these Astoria amps. I mean, they're great sounding, but kudos to Marshall for going outside the box and not making another typical black/gold thing that looks like any other black/gold thing.

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I'm thinking the Origin is based loosely off the Astoria. I'm gonna get me an Asian Astoria! :yesway:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
I think the looks are the best thing about these Astoria amps. I mean, they're great sounding, but kudos to Marshall for going outside the box and not making another typical black/gold thing that looks like any other black/gold thing.
I agree with you, so many people bitching about the looks and that's the best part! And if you don't like it have it retolex'd.

Deep Purple fan

Reaction score
I agree with you, so many people bitching about the looks and that's the best part! And if you don't like it have it retolex'd.

Forget how they look and if you like it. Just think about your last sentence. There is an extremely small consumer segment of any market who is willing to spend 3 grand on an amp and them bother with recovering it. Not realistic.

There are tangible issues for the consumer. We’re talking top tier expensive kit in a market with lots of great choices. The biggest issue I have with the look of the head is it does not match any cab I have. They offered a pricey $900 1x12 but now you’re in almost 4 grand. I’m personally ok with the styling but I get the complaint of people who are not. I also prefer 2x12 and 4x12. For me, the 1x12 is a no go. There are enough OCD people in the world where that alone would be a show stopper. There are also a vast majority of people who will pause at buying a racing stripe colored 1x12 for 900 clams.

The marketing guys...not the designers....missed the boat. Maybe these issues were raised. Maybe they thought the look would propel sales. It is a gorgeous head without a doubt. But if I was in the meeting, I would have said...what about the guy with 3 grand he scraped together for a head who has a 1936 cab at home. If someone said, he can retolex it......

The more I play it....and this is all I’m focusing on right now....the more I’m impressed. It’s a great amp.

I'm thinking the Origin is based loosely off the Astoria. I'm gonna get me an Asian Astoria! :yesway:

Maybe the Astoria classic. The custom and dual have too much going on.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
i picked up a new Astoria Custom head at an insane price. I thought I’d give you guys a review. I’ve played it ten hours so I know it pretty well.

This is Marshall’s take on a boutique amp. They clearly targeted Friedman. It’s a single channel amp with a boost,volume reduction and effects loop. It is a 30W Head with KT66s and a superb master volume.

The Good: There is a lot of good here. Bottom line, a truly great amp. I’ve been playing it through a Marshall 1960AX with G12M Greenbacks. First, the strength of what ever guitar you are playing really comes through. My Strats sound off the hook and my R8 is heavenly. Second, the eq is amazing. Easy to dial in. This thing can certainly cover Marshall’s greatest tones. Third, the master is great. As good as Friedman which says a lot. The wet dry knob for effects serves as yet another master. It’s not one of my highest gain amps, but for Marshall it is boat loads. It has more than enough gain. Fourth, the effects is transparent. Fifth, the volume reduction is very good. Takes it down from 0 to 5W. I a/b it against my BE100 and Dirty Shirley. It has the smoother gain and mids you see in Friedman. However, you can Eq to be downright nasty. Sixth, perfect amount of power. Totally gigable and manageable.

Price wise it compares closest to the Friedman Small Box 50 and Dirty Shirley 40. I have a DS40. Getting killer tones....both are equal to slight edge Astoria. There is a lot more going on with Astoria. The wet dry feature is excellent as is the volume reduction and boost. As much as I love my DS, I think Astoria has more good things going on.

What I don’t like: .......crickets......

So it’s a honerun amp! Why the hell was it discontinued due to poor sales? I think the number one reason was marketing plus availability. I never saw one until my head arrived in the mail. I see Friedman’s all the time now. The appearance is often cited. My red and white head is gorgeous but it does not fit with any of my gear looks wise. More important, the fuker is impossible to sneak past the wife. She will see this amp and ask about the red one....when did you get that....how much did you pay? The matching 1x12 was wicked expensive and more of the same. All they offered were 1x12s. I mean 2900 for head plus 900 for cab was dumb. The name also was weird. What is the significance of Astoria? All this leads to confusion and poor sales.

Message to Marshall: You killed it with that amp. It’s without question an exceptional amp. Relaunch it with these improvements. Put it in a tradition 1960s headbox. This helps because people love that look and it will look great on a 1936 or 1960 cab. ÔIf the buyer has one he won’t need to buy a 1x12. Drop the Astoria name. It means nothing. You can get away calling it Classic, Custom and dual Custom. It is expensive but it is also competing against Friedman.

If you come across an Astoria, don’t miss the chance to play it. It’s an amazing amp.
Absolutely...

And why not offer the standard Marshall black for those who do want a flashy colored amp, no harm in that.
Exactly, and maybe that's more the issue than the new styling. If you want that amp, you don't have a choice. So, maybe a solution would be for Marshall to offer the customer the option of what headbox they wanted an amp in.

PU239

Reaction score

Not at all. The closest the Origin comes to is a 2061x. All three Astoria amps will sound very different from the Origin.

This is how Astoria should have been marketed.

First black tolex/silver piping

Classic - Marshalls first true blues amp. Built with no frills and loads of headroom. Choose from plexi to clean. Use your favorite Overdrive to suit your playing.

Custom - Marshall's legendary sound of the JMP is back with a modern twist. The extra preamp valve boosts that classic JMP crunch to another level. The Custom has greater tone shaping options with Edge control and wide eq.

The footswithable transparent loop allows for your effects or use it as a second master volume. From 30 to 5 watts with no loss of dynamics.

Dual - A true two channel amp. Clean sounds warm and thick with slight breakup when driven. Like the Classic the Dual has great headroom. Use the low input for a great acoustic or keyboard option.

Lead - Like the old plexis this lead channel gets its sound from the driven powertubes. Take it further as a three channel amp by running your favorite pedal in the switched loop.

file.php

file.php

Last edited:

paul-e-mann

Reaction score
Forget how they look and if you like it. Just think about your last sentence. There is an extremely small consumer segment of any market who is willing to spend 3 grand on an amp and them bother with recovering it. Not realistic.

There are tangible issues for the consumer. We’re talking top tier expensive kit in a market with lots of great choices. The biggest issue I have with the look of the head is it does not match any cab I have. They offered a pricey $900 1x12 but now you’re in almost 4 grand. I’m personally ok with the styling but I get the complaint of people who are not. I also prefer 2x12 and 4x12. For me, the 1x12 is a no go. There are enough OCD people in the world where that alone would be a show stopper. There are also a vast majority of people who will pause at buying a racing stripe colored 1x12 for 900 clams.

The marketing guys...not the designers....missed the boat. Maybe these issues were raised. Maybe they thought the look would propel sales. It is a gorgeous head without a doubt. But if I was in the meeting, I would have said...what about the guy with 3 grand he scraped together for a head who has a 1936 cab at home. If someone said, he can retolex it......

The more I play it....and this is all I’m focusing on right now....the more I’m impressed. It’s a great amp.

Maybe the Astoria classic. The custom and dual have too much going on.

If a guy really likes his 3 grand amp except for the color scheme whats another hundred bucks to have it retolex'd, not a big deal or a deal breaker that's what I'd be thinking. Me personally I'd leave it as is I think its cool looking and original. :yesway:

Latest posts